peta members - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

im a fairly new peta member and i feel like i should be getting out and doing something "for the cause," but im not sure what to do. are there any peta members out there and what do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Beginner

I signed up to receive information from PETA. If you go to their website, there are e-mails and information packages that they can send you.

Upon researching about PETA, there are some issues involved in that some claim PETA kills animals. Does anyone else know about this issue?
#3 Old 11-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sharon View Post

I signed up to receive information from PETA. If you go to their website, there are e-mails and information packages that they can send you.

Upon researching about PETA, there are some issues involved in that some claim PETA kills animals. Does anyone else know about this issue?

This was being said back when I was a vegetarian during my teens (I'm newly one again). Which was when I was 12 so that was 1998-ish. I never figured out whether or not it was true...hopefully someone can shed some light on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sharon View Post

It's been discussed here ad nauseum.
#5 Old 11-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

It's been discussed here ad nauseum.

From there I found another link that I think may answer the question so I'll just post the two comments that explain a bit:

Quote:
"PETA Kills Animals" is a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF)

Quote:
Nothing but a lobbying group funded by the likes of Tyson Chicken, Steak & Ale, Philip Morris, etc. complaining that somebody else "kills animals."

That's so much irony you could choke on it.

Search this site and you'll find zillions of threads on CCF and what their motives are.

Quote:
The Center for Consumer Freedom is a nonprofit coalition of restaurants, food companies, and consumers working together to promote personal responsibility and protect consumer choices.

#6 Old 11-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Bof
Banned

I very much doubt if it's possible to be a hands on animal carer without sometimes killing animals. I know I have.
#7 Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I very much doubt if it's possible to be a hands on animal carer without sometimes killing animals. I know I have.

I agree with this as well, especially when PETA is such a big organization.
#8 Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

#9 Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

What about it? Shelters euthanize animals, too.
#10 Old 11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Individuals who have animal companions euthanize as well. Does that mean they lack compassion, or detract in any way from their other good points?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

Yes, but according to government records 80.1% of animals at Peta are eventually killed. What happened to "Total animal Liberation"?
#12 Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That's the problem. PETA talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. It's always been more about publicity than anything else.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#13 Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I hope you don't all mind but I'm bowing out of this discussion, and leaving it for the PETA supporters to feel free to discuss their views, this being in the Activist forum and all. I'll debate PETA and Newkirk in one of the many, many Compost Heap threads dedicated to that and leave this one alone.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 11-25-2007, 04:53 PM

I don't support PETA because they support breed specific legislation.
#15 Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM

I remember going to the anti-war protests in NYC for the Iraq war and joining with some friends. I also remember coming home very disappointed, realizing that 95% of those protesting were seeking identity and using this 'cause' as a prop for that identity. And that they were engaging in the same dynamics of separation, projection, and 'us versus them' that the 'opposition' was engaging in. The end result was that there was no effort to partner with the other side and the other viewpoints and to see everyone as equal and as products of different conditioning. And this meant that we just had the same dynamics perpetuated where delusion and identity were sought without regard for achieving something real. When I brought this up to my friend, he became furious and didn't talk to me for a while (all of our egos become very very defensive when confronted with the reality of these common dynamics). I'm reminded of a Zen master telling us two stories that really stuck to me: when he was a student, he saw his enlightened zen teacher in the distance and put on a serene 'zen face'. His zen teacher saw right through it and made a puking sound which infuriated the then-student. He soon came to realize, though, how much of an identity he was seeking and came to terms with the ego and its dynamics. That same zen teacher told us that some of his students wanted to go and help out the victims of the tsunamis. Being an expert in understanding human dynamics and the ego, he advised against it, knowing that although they were convinced they were going to selflessly help, he knew that their goals were subtle supports for the 'self'.

The point of all of this is -- whatever you do, do it with a high degree of self-awareness and see if you're doing it to ease the suffering of ALL beings (sentient and non-sentient) or whether you're doing it for personal meaning and identity. Most of us do it for the latter (and delude ourselves we're doing it for the former); and the result is that we just perpetuate the dynamics that lead to all suffering in the first place. If you see meat eaters as immoral or in need of your special instruction, stop there and work on that. Only by getting rid of the ego in ourselves can we really bring change.

Metazone -
#16 Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting point metazone. I have noticed people, who in doing something in the name of 'good' end up making matters worse, because they either a) don't understand the situation or b) don't understand themselves. Similar to what you're saying.

My only confusion is that I don't understand what you mean by suffering and/or sentient. Since I'm not sure something non-sentient can suffer.

I believe everything.
#17 Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKlv View Post

Yes, but according to government records 80.1% of animals at Peta are eventually killed. What happened to "Total animal Liberation"?

i dont understand what this means. what animals are you referring to when you say "at peta?" i believe they have a pro-euthanization stance.
#18 Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

here it is, straight from their site: "As difficult as it may be for us to accept, euthanasia (when carried out by veterinarians or trained shelter professionals with a painless intravenous injection of sodium pentobarbital) is often the most compassionate and dignified way for unwanted animals to leave an uncaring world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page