man to face trial for feeding the homeless - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.wftv.com/news/14289861/detail.html

Quote:

It's the first trial of its kind. A man is facing a judge and jury for violating Orlando's ban on feeding the homeless. Eric Montanez, 22, was caught feeding a group in Lake Eola Park earlier this year. The prosecution told Eyewitness News their case rests on video taken of Montanez feeding the homeless, breaking Orlando's feeding ban.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

He was acquitted. Thank goodness. I found this whole thing quite appalling.

http://www.wftv.com/news/14317729/detail.html

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#3 Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Las Vegas passed a ban on feeding the homeless in parks last year. Last I heard Food Not Bombs was challenging it in court.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I found this whole thing quite appalling.

Depends on what he was feeding them.
#5 Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Why is it illegal to feed the homeless? What harm could it possibly do?
#6 Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I read about this when it first happened. Really a disgusting day in America.

Vegmedic, the homeless were fed rice, stew, salad, and bread pudding according to the Orlando Sentinel. The article is offline now, but it mentioned that the police even took "a vile of stew as evidence".
#7 Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

the day that "mankind" became known as "mansucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by article, err #9 or something View Post

"The law itself should be illegal. Feeding people should not be criminalized. Being poor should not be criminalized,"

Montanez said.
#8 Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Eh? Why would it be illegal to give food to a homeless person? They're not plague carrying pigeons or anything. Surely there has to be more to it than that.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

The argument made is that feeding the homeless outside of a shelter situation somehow prevents them from getting the help they need. In reality, of course, the homeless are bad for business and cities would like them to move elsewhere.
#10 Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

There's always more to a story when you only get one side.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - City officials have banned charitable groups from feeding homeless people in parks downtown, arguing that transients who gather for weekly meals create safety and sanitary problems for businesses.

The measure, approved Monday, prevents serving large groups in parks and other public property within two miles of City Hall without a permit. The American Civil Liberties Union vowed to sue, saying it's a superficial fix that ignores the city's homeless problem.

City commissioner Patty Sheehan pushed for the ordinance after complaints from business owners and residents that homeless people were causing problems at a downtown park popular with joggers and dog walkers.

In the article troub posted, the group intentionally violated the ordinance. It wasn't like a single person gave a homeless guy a burrito. This group demonstrated intent.

Why don't they put their efforts toward opening a shelter instead?
#11 Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

The argument made is that feeding the homeless outside of a shelter situation somehow prevents them from getting the help they need. In reality, of course, the homeless are bad for business and cities would like them to move elsewhere.

Have you lived in an area with a high homeless population? In Portland, there are a LOT of homeless people. You can't walk around downtown without getting asked for money. most of the time a simple "no" sufficed. There were a couple of times I was followed and I felt threatened.

If the city was getting complaints from joggers & dog walkers that they were being harassed, the city should do something. Unfortunately, the problem is complex and Orlando is going about it entirely the wrong way. I'd rather see more state $ go into funding mental health & addiction programs and build shelters.
#12 Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Could they not have set up one of their soup kitchens in a park 2 miles away? I personally don't like the sound of the ban but it does strike me as a reasonable compromise.

#13 Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Could they not have set up one of their soup kitchens in a park 2 miles away? I personally don't like the sound of the ban but it does strike me as a reasonable compromise.

Well that wouldn't make it into the news now, would it?
#14 Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Hmmm...... so they are doing it to raise awareness of the issue? Fair enough I guess. Media attention for your cause can be a very useful thing. I really tend to agree with you - simply banning the distribution of food to the hungry in certain parts of the city is just sticking a bandaid on a gaping head wound.

#15 Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Have you lived in an area with a high homeless population? In Portland, there are a LOT of homeless people. You can't walk around downtown without getting asked for money. most of the time a simple "no" sufficed. There were a couple of times I was followed and I felt threatened.

If the city was getting complaints from joggers & dog walkers that they were being harassed, the city should do something. Unfortunately, the problem is complex and Orlando is going about it entirely the wrong way. I'd rather see more state $ go into funding mental health & addiction programs and build shelters.

Yes I have. It's a really tough problem but dealing with the problem by requiring permits to serve them food is over the top.

Bad karma for Orlando if you ask me.
#16 Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hopefully it was a temporary measure set up to increase public safety and well-being in the parks while they work on a long-term solution, but I have my doubts.
#17 Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Hopefully it was a temporary measure set up to increase public safety and well-being in the parks while they work on a long-term solution, but I have my doubts.

As a Floridian, I can assure you that no public official in this state is that intelligent.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page