A 60 Second Challenge to Share With Meat-Eaters - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By BiteSizeVegan
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

A 60 Second Challenge to Share With Meat-Eaters

This is a 60 second “short shareable” video challenge, made purposefully brief as people are busy and often getting non-vegans to watch vegan videos can be a challenge! There is ample information in the video’s description on YouTube if they want to learn more!
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2016, 02:26 PM

You know, I think that is a very poor argument. I mean, there are people who work in slaughterhouses yet aren't vegan or even vegetarian. Also, there are people whose hobby is hunting. And at one point in history, everyone who ate meat had to hunt. There are even people, few of which I know, who consider cruelty to animals a sign of manliness.

But, yeah, I've never convinced anyone to go vegan, so, I don't know what are the best arguments.
#3 Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo123 View Post
You know, I think that is a very poor argument. I mean, there are people who work in slaughterhouses yet aren't vegan or even vegetarian. Also, there are people whose hobby is hunting. And at one point in history, everyone who ate meat had to hunt. There are even people, few of which I know, who consider cruelty to animals a sign of manliness.

But, yeah, I've never convinced anyone to go vegan, so, I don't know what are the best arguments.
I agree with you to an extent. I know hunters who can look an animal in the eye and then shoot him/her, or hold up a struggling fish for a show off photograph. My partner's parents consider animals to be second class and farm animals to be food worthy or service worthy only. They both slaughtered their own animals in times past. Some people sadly just don't care.

I think you have to tailor the message to each individual or group if you are addressing a particular audience. For those who are hardened about animals, focusing on the health benefits might help. My partner's parents are also on tons of meds for high cholesterol, heart disease, blood pressure etc. They have actually asked me for advice on what to eat plant based to help with these areas because the drugs they take are expensive and have horrible side effects, and obviously the highly meat/dairy centered diets they are on have not helped them at all. Others might be more convinced by the environmental effects. Cowspiracy is an excellent video that highlights this area of veganism. World hunger is an important issue for some religious groups, particularly Catholics (my Mother is a Benedictine nun...don't ask lol). My Mom was convinced to try veganism not only by the health effects and watching Forks over Knives, but by the issue of world hunger and food sustainability and how a plant based diet can be more affordable and achievable to a wider group of people, especially in third world countries. My Mom is mostly plant based for the last few years but does still eat fish and has occasional "slips" with meat based junk food. My sister is also mostly vegan (was 100% vegan for 2 years but now includes dairy so is vegetarian) and she very much went vegan/vegetarian due to animal ethics. She was much more affected by the movie Earthlings than my partner's parents would be. But she has a hard time with binges and the convenience factor so she still buys dairy from time to time.

Personally, I knew very little about veganism until I read the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma " by Michael Pollen. I had begun to question where my food came from. I was more interested in the people that made it, and tracking how far it came and also thinking about world hunger and how I could help others through food. So it was by accident that I learned what veganism was, and I found myself disagreeing with much of Mr. Pollen's locavore humane meat philosophy and agreeing with the vegan movement. In fact I was so moved by what I learned about the vegan movement that I researched further into it and within a month I decided to go vegan overnight and I never looked back. No one told me about it in real life or confronted me. I came to it on my own terms.

I also don't waste time arguing with people who are not willing to have an open mind and open discussion about it, or aren't willing to listen and learn before jumping into counter arguments. I would rather invest my time and energy into those who show an interest and are respectful and willing to listen before jumping to conclusions. I am famous for shutting down when others want to try to make my life difficult because of my ethical beliefs. I refuse to get into a debate that will never go anywhere.
Shallot and Jenn2 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 PM

My point was that when I use such an emotional argument, I simply get ridiculed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page