how to deal with the despair that comes from loving animals in this world?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 2 Post By Johnsally
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Johnsally
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 4 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By Blue Gingham
  • 1 Post By Blue Gingham
  • 3 Post By Rasitha Wijesekera
  • 1 Post By Naked Guru

#1 Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Beginner

how to deal with the despair that comes from loving animals in this world??

I am so disturbed and sick right now..I am hoping this post might help to somehow calm my heart.

I mistakenly just seen a video footage that I had not seen before of a dog being skinned alive in China for fur. It is one of those ones that I will NEVER forget! and will likely think about when trying to sleep. Of course I have seen vile pics before and images but it NEVER gets any easier!! As an animal rights activist I do what I can to fight this by signing petitions, sharing posts on FB, joining protests and sometimes even starting my own protest but there is nothing like a video to make me want to take a bottle of sleeping pills and hope to never wake up again.

I just dont understand how this can still be happening in 2015! I am so ashamed to be a part of the human race!

Sometimes I think about all the mistreatment bestowed upon innocent animals and it almost feels like a nightmare that I just can not seem to be able to wake up from. It just does not seem real that such cruelty can even exist sometimes and that it is perfectly legal. Can anybody relate to these feelings?

Does anybody have any advice to offer on how to deal with the despair that comes from knowing what goes on and feeling so helpless?? It can be so overwhelming sometimes!

I just can not believe that I have to live in a world that does things like this to other living beings. Can anybody relate?? I would gladly give up my life if it meant all this cruelty to animals would end!

Anyway, it was kind of therapeutic to just post this and I do feel a bit better just doing that but would love to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

As impossible as it sounds, the only way to handle it is to try to forget-- or, at least, to keep it buried deep where you won't often see it. You have to do what meat eaters do and deny, deny, deny. Otherwise you'll go mad.
#3 Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
As impossible as it sounds, the only way to handle it is to try to forget-- or, at least, to keep it buried deep where you won't often see it. You have to do what meat eaters do and deny, deny, deny. Otherwise you'll go mad.

yes, I know you are right. I actually normally try to avoid watching those videos because I have seen so many before and since I dont support the animal cruelty industries and already know what goes on and of course fight against it I dont see any reason to torture myself by watching the videos any further. It was one of those situations that kind of just snuck up on me. I was watching something else and it kind of came on unexpectedly but you are right..I guess I am best to just try and forget as much as I can. I had the same problem after viewing PETAs Meet you Meat. None of these are good to watch at the holidays.

I know getting active can sometimes help too and of course I immediately shared the video on my FB in case there might be some fur wearers on there that I am not aware of or maybe a friend will share it with a fur wearer.

Anyway, thanks so much no whey jose, for the input. I really appreciate it. I do find occasionally posting on here to be extremely helpful as well. Thanks again=)
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

No problem. We all know exactly how you feel. ((Hugs))
Johnsally likes this.
#5 Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. I used to be a moderator on this board, and as such, I felt the need to watch all of the videos that were posted. I can honestly tell you the very, very best thing about not being a mod any longer is that I don't have to go near that stuff anymore!!!

Activism helps certainly, but you may be disappointed at how few people are willing to watch videos we post. In my experience, when I post a picture of a dog I'm fostering, I'll get 40+ likes, but when I post anything about animal cruelty, I'll get one or two - and those are from my fellow activists. oh well.

So here's what helps me. Sometimes I just have to take a few moments to pause and deeply appreciate the freedom I have now that I'm vegan.

I don't hurt animals anymore. I don't pay anyone to harm them for me. I don't eat them, wear them, or use them for entertainment. When I see a dog or a squirrel or a cow or a bird, I can really appreciate it, knowing that I don't exploit it in any way. I often say that becoming vegan has been the most personally liberating and satisfying thing I have ever done, and one of the things of which I am most proud. And that helps me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I never watch those videos. I've never seen earthlings or meet your meat or any of those popular videos people talk about here. I already know what's going on, I don't need to pointlessly torture myself.
Johnsally likes this.
#7 Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I never watch those videos. I've never seen earthlings or meet your meat or any of those popular videos people talk about here. I already know what's going on, I don't need to pointlessly torture myself.
This.
Johnsally likes this.
#8 Old 12-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Beginner

I simply can't subject myself to videos. I've had horrid mental images for years of an animal cruelty case in Michigan, and that one I only heard about. That said, I do watch speakers talk about vegetarianism and veganism. It helps to reinforce the decisions I've made.

Also someone (maybe Werewolf Girl?) posted a video about all the positive things going on in the world recently. I'll see if I can find it...maybe an antidote will help!
Johnsally likes this.
#9 Old 12-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Beginner

I can't locate the video I'm thinking of, but here are two recent posts by VB members who are making a difference:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/61...isruption.html

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...nutrition.html

ALL the news isn't bad.
Johnsally likes this.
#10 Old 12-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Beginner

Thanks so much everyone for the EXTREMELY helpful responses! I am sorry for the delay in responding back. Obviously I was trying to just put the images I have seen in the back of my mind...but that is no easy task.=) However, I do feel alot better since my last post.=)

Poppy...thanks so much for the GREAT advice! yes, I could not agree with you more that I think the videos are probably getting viewed by the wrong people...the ones that already know. I have had my suspicions about that for quite sometime. The trick is getting the ones who exploit the animals to view the videos. I think it is probably very helpful when people use video monitors during demonstrations! In fact, that is how I wound up viewing the video..while watching demonstrators in NYC online. I also really liked your advice about the fact that I should appreciate the fact that I dont exploit the animals and can look at them knowing this! That is so true! Thanks so much=)

Odizzido and Beautiful Joe...yes, I agree with you both. I choose to no longer view videos and graphic images either ..this one just snuck up on me. I was actually watching a video of anti fur protesters and they were showing in on their video monitor in NYC. I think it was the PETAs fur is dead video.

Blue Gingham...thanks so much for posting those videos! I really appreciate it! Wow..that did make me feel better...I just viewed the chick fil A protest and I just can not get over the courage those people had to go into a restaurant where people were eating like that and do what they did! That was so wonderful and brave!! I wish I had the courage to do something like that! I was having problems viewing the other link but i think there is a problem with my computer...so will try again after Christmas. But thanks for posting those truly inspiring videos!!

Thanks everyone for trying to help a fellow veg/animal rights person! I really appreciate this forum..sometimes I am not sure what I would do without it. I dont come on all the time but it sure is helpful to have in situations like that one..to just be able to communicate with those of likeminds can sometimes be such a help!!. I hope you all have a great cruelty free holiday!! Thanks again=)
#11 Old 12-24-2015, 07:51 PM

watch videos that are of people helping animals. For example the Woodstock animal Sanctuary videos. This will make you remember that everyone in the world ain't *******s
#12 Old 12-31-2015, 07:53 PM

The world is insane, with your wildest imagination you could not dream up a crime that human beings are not committing somewhere on this planet. If you look at the insanity in this world like a giant pie and everyone has their finger in this insane pie. Obviously to cure this everyone must pull their finger out of the pie. Everyone looks at this in the same way, yes everyone has their finger in the pie, all except for me. I am not contributing to this insanity it is everyone else ! And then they will take up a cause and try and put a stop to whatever in justice they are focused on, while they still have their finger in the pie. Everyone in the alternative scene is doing this in one way or another. And many other so-called do-gooders trying to fix the world with their own finger still in this insane pie. Preachers doing so-called gods work with one hand and then sexually abusing children with the other. And if you look at everyone that you know you'll see some sort of neurotic, insane behaviour in them.
You may not want to look at your past but I’m sure some people have pointed out neurotic behaviour in you also. So how can you pull your finger out of the pie ? When you react to some injustice in the world, all you react to something someone is doing or saying, you go into an insane and neurotic pattern that is repeated over and over again in your life. If everyone learnt how to transform these reactions, then they would be pulling their finger out of the pie. The level of madness and insanity in this world would start to drop. And if this level was dropping there would be no need to fight for some cause.
Johnsally likes this.

Last edited by Naked Guru; 12-31-2015 at 07:55 PM.
#13 Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Beginner

Rasitha Wijesekera..hi, thanks for the very helpful response as well!=) I think I have seen those Woodstock farm sanctuary videos and you are right..those videos really do help to reinforce the fact that there are just so many good and caring people in this world!=) Just as the case with everyone here! It is so easy to forget about all of that when watching such a graphic video but I really appreciate you reminding me of that..maybe I will take another look at that later today and anytime I feel overwhelmed by the cruelty of the world. That was a really great suggestion..Thanks again=)

Naked Guru..thanks so much for your very interesting response here as well! That does give me alot to think about..you are right too when you say there really is all kinds of violence and injustice all over the world..and not just to animals but it always seems like animals always get the worst lot in all situations but of course violence is violence no matter how big or small. Interesting that you say our "reactions" are what makes the difference..I have not really thought of that concept before but it sure is an interesting one and something worth thinking about. Thanks=)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page