Why I'm An Animal Rights Activist When There Is So Much Human Suffering In The World - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 4 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By mydogisgreat!
  • 5 Post By rasitha.wijesekera
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By varun
  • 2 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 2 Post By Go Vegan
  • 2 Post By xPigeon Swarmx

#1 Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Why I'm An Animal Rights Activist When There Is So Much Human Suffering In The World

Quote:
Being an animal rights activists is not about limiting our compassion to nonhumans, it's about extending our circle of compassion to include all beings who can suffer.
Read the rest here: https://www.thedodo.com/why-im-an-an...207140226.html

This is a question that gets asked of animal rights activists frequently. Why don't you care about humans? Why aren't you doing anything to help humans? This article provides an excellent response.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM

appreciate you sharing this....sometimes its hard to verbalize what we know/feel...this article helps
#3 Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

How can you be a feminist when men also suffer? How can you help children in Africa when your own country has homeless children? How is bill gates giving a million dollars to charity enough when he has billions of dollars? It's a easy question to ask when you yourself don't want to help anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
How can you be a feminist when men also suffer? How can you help children in Africa when your own country has homeless children? How is bill gates giving a million dollars to charity enough when he has billions of dollars? It's a easy question to ask when you yourself don't want to help anyone.
Yup. The only people who have ever asked me this are ones who weren't doing anything for anybody.
no whey jose likes this.
#5 Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Yup. The only people who have ever asked me this are ones who weren't doing anything for anybody.
Interesting
#6 Old 06-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

This is just one of those questions to which there should be no answer. Justification is only done when something has to explained, when something is obvious there should be no answer, it comes down to personal choice. Some become equal rights activists with regard to race/orientation, some rescue & rehabilitate children or save the forests so that the next generation knows the meaning of wildlife or help the poor & needy with food & so on. Likewise a few out there worry about animals and spend their time helping them, its the cause which is closest to one's heart that matters, not others opinions.

In the end no one likes to be hurt, mocked, attacked, guilted, to be poor, to not have food, to not have shelter and so on. Animals desire the same too & in the end its all about an ecosystem.. we're are interconnected by nature. Perfect balance can be achieved only by perfect living, otherwise we've to live with the consequences.
LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Last edited by varun; 06-22-2015 at 05:42 AM.
#7 Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I am capable of caring about multiple issues at once. Poverty is a major area of concern for me. I dont "like animals better than people" at all.
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.
#8 Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Vegan as f**k

I care about animal rights issues as well as human rights issues. Humans are animals after all...

I do think that the sheer scale of non-human animal suffering dwarfs all other suffering
#9 Old 06-23-2015, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
I care about animal rights issues as well as human rights issues. Humans are animals after all...

I do think that the sheer scale of non-human animal suffering dwarfs all other suffering
I think the article's author brought up an excellent point when she said that animal suffering goes largely unopposed, as well. What truly shocks me is how little most people seem to care.
#10 Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Beginner

Because, no matter how much human suffering there is, there's way more animal suffering.
varun and rasitha.wijesekera like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page