• 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Grace Steps
  • 5 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan

#1 Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm NOT Freelee the Banana Girl! [And That's Okay!]

Freelee the Banana Girl is a force to be reckoned with in the vegan YouTube world- and I’m certainly not her. But that’s a great thing and here’s why: the more varied the voices within the vegan movement, the more people we can reach. And that’s why you’re voice is needed too: you can reach people that no one else can and make that impact for the animals. So get active, get going, and make a difference! Also, this is probably the most cheerleaderish you will *ever* see me- in word and dress- so soak it in.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Okay if this doesn't put a smile on someone's face and inspire them than I don't know what will. Your energy is infectious. Keep it up

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#3 Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Never saw the banana girl, but this video was very entertaining

I'm still very new to veganism, so I'm still learning, but we've already got a couple of vegan books for my kids school. And I've been looking out for animal rights protests in London and volunteering at local shelters. I'm a rubbish speaker but am ok as part of a crowd and enjoy working with animals without humans being in the way.
Purp and BiteSizeVegan like this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 03-11-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

This is such a great message! The intro was very funny. And I agree totally, I've always been inspired by people like Freelee but it's important to find your own voice and be yourself when speaking up for the animals.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

You're more like Emily Romaine Woman
Haven't watched it yet, but I can say I find you far more reachable
Purp, BiteSizeVegan and Kiwibird08 like this.
#6 Old 03-12-2015, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
Okay if this doesn't put a smile on someone's face and inspire them than I don't know what will. Your energy is infectious. Keep it up
hehe...thanks that was the goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Never saw the banana girl, but this video was very entertaining

I'm still very new to veganism, so I'm still learning, but we've already got a couple of vegan books for my kids school. And I've been looking out for animal rights protests in London and volunteering at local shelters. I'm a rubbish speaker but am ok as part of a crowd and enjoy working with animals without humans being in the way.
glad it was entertaining even without knowing of Freelee. And engaging in any way is awesome! Every little bit makes difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
This is such a great message! The intro was very funny. And I agree totally, I've always been inspired by people like Freelee but it's important to find your own voice and be yourself when speaking up for the animals.
thanks so much! and i agree- being yourself will reach far more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You're more like Emily Romaine Woman
Haven't watched it yet, but I can say I find you far more reachable
ha! that's true...and thank you
Purp likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#7 Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the giggle. Since I just "met" you here at VB, I've only seen some of your more recent videos. Thanks for the heads up about how to spread the animal rights activism, though.
BiteSizeVegan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Thanks for the giggle. Since I just "met" you here at VB, I've only seen some of your more recent videos. Thanks for the heads up about how to spread the animal rights activism, though.
sure thing! and then you only know me with hair
Purp likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#9 Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Emily -

Another cool video!!

I'm unfamiliar with the Freelee girl, and quite honestly, her gig seems kinda weird. 30 bananas a day? Maybe. It's better than pork chops, but whatever. Her message reaches some, yours others, etc.

I'll stick with your message. You deliver information, not hype, and some great comedy.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not particularly thrilled about Freelee the Banana Girls' videos (having watched a few) as she promoted that all women can achieve a thigh gap at a normal weight (for some this is physically impossible based on physique) and that losing your period is "normal" when you go raw vegan.

She does however seem to draw in a large number of people and has a huge fan base.

I like your message Emily, that we each have our own special voice and talents to use to work towards the cause of animals. There are so many ways to make a difference. I used to leaflet and table colleges, high schools, parades etc while in school and working part time (I now work full time and am not available during most class times). I've also written to grocery stores requesting vegan items, and wrote to a medical complex where I work as well as donated a large institutional vegan cookbook and worked with Nutrition Services to introduce vegan options to their menu. The first vegan items are being rolled out in their cafeteria in the first week of April. I'm really excited and hope to do the same with the other medical complex in town. Hospitals seem to be lagging behind other institutions when it comes to healthy food and plant based options, not only for vegans/vegetarians but they need to consider those with food allergies. Working in a medical setting, I see a lot of room for improvements.

Some people have writing skills and start blogs, others have talent with cooking vegan food and photography. My sister is very good at working with animals. Writers could use their skills to write letters to the government or large companies. Or write books for children and so on. If nothing else, one could wear their message on a T shirt.

And of course, most of all, we can take care of ourselves, eat healthy and live positively in our lifestyle so that we set a great example of what it is like to be vegan.

Activism has really helped me in my personal struggles because it has inspired me to take better care of myself and be healthier so I can be a voice for the movement. I don't have to be perfect, or try to be someone I am not. I used to be many lbs underweight and I was ashamed to wear vegan shirts and pass out leaflets because I didn't want to send the wrong message. I feel so much stronger and healthier now. Whenever I feel discouraged or stressed or unhappy with my body, I remember this. I have achieved so many goals as a vegan (my entire school experience was as a vegan and I maintained a 4.0 GPA the whole time and was at the top of my class in Anatomy and Physiology; I got to a healthy weight for the first time in six years from very underweight and as a vegan to boot, something I could not achieve as an omnivore since the onset of my ED in 2006; I landed my dream job as a vegan; I spoke out and tabled at a local college for veganism and leafleted countless schools and city streets and even contacted one high school and worked with the staff there to deliver leaflets to students, which isn't a big deal for most people but I have social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder which I struggled with since I was very young and I had to overcome a lot of fear and this experience was invaluable to gain confidence and be able to achieve my other goals such as the job interview). I'm not famous or rich and I am not extremely outgoing or incredibly smart. I don't have the debating skills that some famous Veggieboard members have. . Just a strong desire and passion for justice, peace, and health for animals and humans. That's really all the qualifications we need right?
leedsveg and BiteSizeVegan like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#11 Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Vegan

I am looking for body positive non fat shaming vegan videos and so far have seen that in your videos. I just signed up for your site and reading your ebook. I will not be watching Freelee ever again and do not agree with the way she treats people that look different then her. I am very happy you are here to give us other options
Grace
Naturebound and BiteSizeVegan like this.
#12 Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't familiar with Freelee but I actually recognized you from your video about eating vegan at a gas station! I checked out one of Freelee's videos and had to turn it off immediately because it was so juvenile. It was something about how other women are jealous of her and therefore "fake vegans," and she threw the word "*****es" around a lot. I'm sorry but I don't understand how that's inspiring or entertaining.
#13 Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Emily is the real deal.

Not sure about the banana chick.

Ooby rules.

Questions?

Be Happy Vegans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#14 Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Freelee is a child.
#15 Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Emily is the real deal.

Not sure about the banana chick.

Ooby rules.

Questions?

Be Happy Vegans!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just saw this. how did i miss it till now?! made me smile pretty big
Naturebound likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page