Would you purchase Vegan shoes from a company that sells leather shoes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

I've noticed that some companies that sell Vegan shoes also sell leather shoes and purchasing vegan shoes from these companies feels really counterintuitive.

So... Would you purchase Vegan shoes from a company that sells leather shoes? And is there any pros for the future in purchasing Vegan shoes from these companies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Yes I do purchase my shoes from companies that sell non vegan items. Hopefully as the demands grows for more vegan items, they'll get more and more cruelty free items. smiley.gif
#3 Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

Which companies are those?

Your way of looking at the situation does seem to make sense in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post

Lots of shoe companies. Earth, Saucony - two that I have. They're labeled vegan. Both co.'s also sell leather .

Companies that offer vegan goods give the general public a choice. Small specialty companies that only cater to vegan goods don't have the advertising, or interest, of most people. 

SIlk may be owned by Dean foods, and has dairy interests, but its advertising and known logo have done more to convert whole families from dairy milk than PETA or any vegan org. ever did in that short time.

I'm sorry, you said does make sense! :o 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post

I buy Dansko clogs (I'm a nurse). A lot of omni nurses get the vegan ones just coincidently because they are easier to keep clean than dead animal skin ones.

I buy vegan things from non-vegan companies often. First, it's difficult to find strictly vegan companies, and second, I like to buy vegan things from anyone who wants to market them. smiley.gif
#6 Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 AM

Same here. If a company sells a vegan product, I want to encourage them to keep making more vegan products. The only way to do that is to buy. Else, the choice gets smaller, and big companies will just get the message that there is no demand for their vegan products...
leedsveg and underoath18v like this.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#7 Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Banned

Yes because sales drive production. I have a pair of crocs and they are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned.smiley.gifsmiley.gif
#8 Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Please don't post sad pictures without a warning or on spoilers please. Long term vegans don't need to be smacked in the face with these. Thank you.
#9 Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 AM

yeah, I think if we buy more vegan shoes from companies who sell leather items, soon they will notice the demand for it. And maybe they won't stop their production of leather shoes all together but at least see that there is a market for it and they will give us better non-leather options, thus increasing the production of cruelty free shoes. An example of this is when I went to a pizza place and ordered a slice of vegan cheese. The owner said they do not sell by the slice, only full pies cause there aren't enough people who would want vegan pizza yet. So, if more people order vegan slices, they will see there is a demand for it and have it by the slice, instead of having me order a full pie for 18.50 each time lol not that I mind all the pizza. But you get what I'm saying.

But lets also not forget those companies who have been 100% vegan from the start such as http://www.keepcompany.com/

who have been making cruelty free shoes from the get go. I also like to support companies such as them because they are a small business, versus other big guys such as doc martens or vans. 

:)

hope this helps!

-EM

#10 Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

I agree with what you guys are saying.

Does a directory of vegan companies exist?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page