My First Tabling Event Today! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I am doing my first animal advocacy tabling event today at a local private college.  I secured permission and a table from the director of the student union.  I am both excited and a nervous wreck!  I have leafleted a half dozen times already but have never tabled before so this will be a huge learning experience.  Any last minute advice or comments are greatly appreciated.  I will be doing it after work today for a few hours.  It won't be fancy, mostly I will be leafleting at the table, but I did put together a poster board with some quotes and the vegan food pyramid and information about the organization I am tabling on behalf of as well as factory farming.  I also made some vegan treats and signage to help draw people over.  I am not an especially outgoing person but I am passionate about the cause.  If anyone has tabled and has some advice, I would love to hear from you, even if it is after I finish today, for future reference.  Thanks! 

Werewolf Girl likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

My good wishes for the event Nb.

I'm sure it will be fine for you and when it's over, who knows how many seeds you may have planted in how many minds?! :up:

Leedsveg

#3 Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Congrats and just smile! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Good luck! Be confident!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

It's so awesome that you're doing that, good luck! grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks so much guys for the encouragement!  Well, it went really well and I leafleted over 384 booklets in the 2.5 hours I was there!  I had sooo many conversations with people, from hunters to people raising their own chickens to vegans and vegetarians to those interested in going vegetarian.  It was an amazing opportunity and experience.  Most of the crowd was very receptive, but a few people threw their leaflets on the ground down the hall a ways from my table.  I just waited for a quiet moment and then picked them up and re passed them out to others.  I was able to help one girl who was anemic but wanted to go vegetarian.  I told her about non heme plant based iron and how to increase absorption by eating plant based iron rich food with a food high in vitamin C.  I showed her some literature on what to eat also.  I sometimes had trouble on what to say when people would say they liked meat too much.  I am not a fast on the top of my head thinker, but I somehow managed to come up with some kind of answer.  I said that I personally thought when I went vegan that I was going to have a restrictive diet and would have to learn to live without a lot, but quickly learned that there are so many vegan foods available that I had never even heard of before and because I learned to be creative in my cooking my diet actually became way more varied than it ever was as an omnivore. 

BTW, they also liked my treats.  Ironically the hunter guy ate like five of my mini muffins and loved them lol. 

For anyone thinking about tabling, it is so worth it!  You get to meet people from so many different backgrounds and beliefs and you just try to see things from where they are and go from there. 

Thanks again everyone for the support!  Now I better get my butt in gear and study for my final exam coming next week. 

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page