1Likes
  • 2 Post By varun
  • 1 Post By Aristede
  • 1 Post By varun
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By varun

#1 Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong thread but I'm guessing this would inspire a lot of people just as it did me. I read this just five minutes ago and I was excited to share it here for all to read. The man is Sam Simon, a Stanford graduate who grew up in the affluent suburbs of Los Angeles. He is also better known as the co-creator of Simpsons (also the inspiration behind Lisa's love for nature I assume?). So far I'd only heard of the name Matt Groening in Simpsons, thats because Sam Simon left the show way back in 1993. He's a producer, boxing manager and writer among other things, having most recently contributed his talent to Anger Management on FX amongst numerous sitcoms.

A vegan activist himself, it was heartbreaking to read that he is indeed terminally ill from cancer today, at a young age of 58. His contributions to PETA and his own charities for people and animal rescue makes his presence on earth immeasurably valuable. This is the article I read today http://movies.yahoo.com/news/terminally-ill-simpsons-co-creator-vows-away-fortune-050000029.html, something I found truely inspiring and saddening at the same time. A man whose comic genius has made many laugh and whose endeavours have left a lasting impression as the power of humankind.

May he live much longer, even if by a miracle.

Aristede and Werewolf Girl like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

varun, thanks for sharing this moving article. I moved it to Activist Discussion so that it would get more views in the right section.

As for the article, I found this part the most inspirational and endearing: 

Quote:

You know, I'm not married, and I don't have kids. I had an emergency operation when I was septic, and I really did come very close to dying. My colon cancer perforated my colon. When I woke up in the hospital, even though I did have a will, it did become that much more important to me to set this stuff up for the future. And the Rockefeller Foundation has consultants who have been amazing. We found fantastic trustees. It's something that will be living after I'm gone.

I always think that it's incredible when people can look beyond their own condition to the future and well-being of others. I had no idea that this man was even a co-creator of The Simpson. I hope that in his last days he's surrounded by caring friends and family and finds comfort in the fact that he's done much for the cause of animal rights.

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I had little idea who he was until today but not anymore. The Simpsons and Anger Management are one of my favourite shows, and I'm glad I know now who was part of it. Sam Simon was also credited for making The Simpsons more 'human and three-dimensional rather than just making it a string of gags' - Wikipedia. PETA is one of my favourite organisations & they need more people like Mr.Simon to help them. To those who recieve much, much shall be expected - Every noteworthy philanthropist knows this, Bill Gates used that saying as an inspiration for what he does. Its only natural that such people look beyond themselves to see their resources being put to good use and hence immortalising their spirit of humanity.

I shall make it my priviledge that every Simpsons fan, and every vegetarian I come across knows about Mr.Sam Simon. I also plan to make any small contribution to PETA when possible. It all begins with us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post

Yes, I had little idea who he was until today but not anymore. The Simpsons and Anger Management are one of my favourite shows, and I'm glad I know now who was part of it. Sam Simon was also credited for making The Simpsons more 'human and three-dimensional rather than just making it a string of gags' - Wikipedia. PETA is one of my favourite organisations & they need more people like Mr.Simon to help them. To those who recieve much, much shall be expected - Every noteworthy philanthropist knows this, Bill Gates used that saying as an inspiration for what he does. Its only natural that such people look beyond themselves to see their resources being put to good use and hence immortalising their spirit of humanity.

I shall make it my priviledge that every Simpsons fan, and every vegetarian I come across knows about Mr.Sam Simon. I also plan to make any small contribution to PETA when possible. It all begins with us.

While people do rightly question some of PETA's policies and its stances, the organization has done much good for the cause of promoting veg*nism and animal rights. 

And yes, spreading kindness, hope, and joy for all humans and nonhumans begins with us! 

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Banned

This man is my sort of hero. Ill get a photo and frame it. Peta are fabulous. I support their tactics.

#6 Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Banned

Even though I love The Simpsons I'd never really heard of him until now.  Much respect for the difference he has made and will continue to make for many years to come.  What an inspiring story!  So sad to hear he is terminally ill at such a relatively young age and with such a cruel disease :( 

#7 Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

More information on the person can be read here : http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=29517 Also if anyone is interested in contributing to the cause of saving animals, here is a link to his charity homepage http://www.samsimonfoundation.com/ As I'm in a different country I'm still finding out how I can be an aid to the cause, 2$ isn't asking much at all.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

#8 Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

That truly is inspiring, thanks for sharing!
varun likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2405271/Sam-Simon-Simpsons-creator-giving-away-fortune-dying-colon-cancer.html A latest article. I really want more and more people from the Vb family to read about him and know that its possible to make a difference in our own way. Kindly spread the word and the work.

#10 Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

2014 Update, hope the man never stops EVER!

#11 Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Mr.Simon passed away peacefully on March 8th this year. As he has promised, his resources continue to uplift animal rights everywhere, be it freeing of caged animals, liberation of circus animals or stopping whaling & also feeding 200 families pure vegan food everyday. His personal charities help and ensure the survival & rehabilitation of several hundred kill-shelter animals (specially dogs).

The Simpsons continues to be my favourite cartoon show and I'm glad that for once Hollywood has actually helped the animal life than destroy it.

R.I.P Mr.Samuel Michael Simon
leedsveg likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page