should i have done this on facebook? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Beginner

I am an animal rights activist with a facebook profile. I have many non animal rights people on my friend list. I dont overly push my views on facebook but will periodically write a thing of two in the hopes of getting others to think a bit..like at Thanksgiving and the holidays and things like that. I dont want to come on too strong as I am afraid it might have an adverse effect if I do in getting my points across.
Anyway, I did however wind up sharing a pic I had seen on there of a dog being skinned alive for fur in China. It is a hideous pic and I actually was not even thinking about what I was doing when I shared it. it was just one of those things I kind of just did without completely thinking it through. 
Anyway, I think i wound up causing one of my facebook friends to get into a depression now from sharing this. She is already an animal rights activist herself but i think she suffers from depressions. I may have made it worse for her by putting this pic on my wall. I'll admit that i dont like even looking at it myself. 
so my question is...did i do the right thing by posting this pic? do you have non animal rights people on your facebook and if so do you post such pics on your facebook profile? I'm just not sure now if I did the right thing here? What do you think? Please be honest. I guess I can always delete the pic. I dont usually post such graphic pics..like I said, I guess I was not thinking it through at the time...but maybe on the other hand, it might get someone to think twice about the issue. Im just not sure if this was the right way to do it though.
anyway, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much in advance.smiley.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

You should not hold back on the truth. These animals suffer BECAUSE people would prefer to remain in ignorance.

Let me tell you, I have many vegan facebook friends that post tons of horrid stuff. It's mostly their vegan friends that agree and comment back, but they still have influenced people to think about their actions. They have also said that some people have unfriended them. They said that that is not on them, but it's on those people, for they don't want to be reminded or held responsible for their actions. I admire those who don't back down after others have reprimaded them for speaking the truth. These are our true heroes as they will say what's right even if everyone is in denial.

If this pic sent your friend into a depression then you need to not just leave her hanging. You need to reach out to her and help her realize what SHE CAN DO, to help end this cruelty. If there is anything as powerful to pull you out of a depressive state, it's feeling like you have contributed something valuable to the world, you are needed, and you are making a positive difference. Work with her, not against her.

Everyone is needed for this fight for the animals. Some people would prefer to not post as graphic as pics, we need them. Some people would prefer to post more truth bearing graphic pics, we need them too.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Beginner

thanks, foreveraspirit for your very helpful insight into this. I really appreciate your input. What you have said makes alot of sense and I agree with you that sheilding people from the truth is what the animal exploiting community is counting on. That is exactly how all this is allowed to continue to thrive. If more people knew what was really going on i feel that there would be far less of these dispicable things taking place. 

Thanks sooo much for helping me to see this and being so supportive. I really appreciate that. smiley.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsally View Post

thanks, foreveraspirit for your very helpful insight into this. I really appreciate your input. What you have said makes alot of sense and I agree with you that sheilding people from the truth is what the animal exploiting community is counting on. That is exactly how all this is allowed to continue to thrive. If more people knew what was really going on i feel that there would be far less of these dispicable things taking place. 
Thanks sooo much for helping me to see this and being so supportive. I really appreciate that. smiley.gif

^_^ no problem. I hope you can be able to support you friend too smiley.gif

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Information Wants To Be Free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#6 Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

You need to reach out to her and help her realize what SHE CAN DO, to help end this cruelty. If there is anything as powerful to pull you out of a depressive state, it's feeling like you have contributed something valuable to the world, you are needed, and you are making a positive difference. Work with her, not against her.

^ this.

Everyone reacts to those pictures differently. I don't think you can blame yourself for sharing the truth about a horrible crime against animals. But take pro-active steps to mitigate the damage it might cause. In general, always always always include a "call to action" whenever you share graphic pictures or videos. For many people, it's too easy to slide into a feeling of helplessness, depression, or apathy after seeing those pictures. They need things to do about it so they can feel like there is still hope.

Here are some things she can do:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/fur_production/tips/fur-free_action_guide.html

#7 Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

I see no reason to spare people from the Wickid reality of man's torture of animals. The distress that people feel is nothing compared to the agony of the animal.

#8 Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I think your friend, who is already an animal rights activist, knows what is going on and has tools to deal with her depression.  Otherwise I don't think she would be an animal rights activist.  I wouldn't worry about her.  We need to see these things, however depressing they are, so that we do not become numb again like we were when we were omnis.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#9 Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say that posting this is fine and perhaps your fb friend may benifit from some help with depression. Lots of emotions are tested when this subject comes up including anger,frustration,sadness,but generally its Anger :)   And lots of it  :)  Maybe she should alter what posts she gets from you until she has sorted herself abit.

Nite  Nite  ...  Frame.

#10 Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

As a non-facebook using person I may have this wrong.. but here goes: So far as I'm aware, people freely choose to connect to your facebook page, it's not something you can force on them, and they can unsub you anytime they want - am I right? In other words it's not like sending someone an unsolicited personal email message containing unexpected graphic images? This is the way I see it, it's your Facebook page, you decide what you put on there, and other people can either accept that or stop subscribing to your updates. Fair enough. 

Personally I'd not be happy about being sent images of animal cruelty, simply because violence in all forms deeply disturbs me. I hate seeing images of brutal violence against women (like stoning or acid attacks), and I'd be equally deeply distressed by seeing images of children being physically or sexually assaulted too. While I recognise that graphic images are often warranted where awareness raising is concerned, I don't feel I personally need to see images of any of these things as I'm already aware, or that seeing them would in any way help the victims. I'm afraid, because I find such imagery very disturbing, I would unsubscribe to any source which sent me unsolicited images of such kind.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#11 Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

If this pic sent your friend into a depression then you need to not just leave her hanging. You need to reach out to her and help her realize what SHE CAN DO, to help end this cruelty. If there is anything as powerful to pull you out of a depressive state, it's feeling like you have contributed something valuable to the world, you are needed, and you are making a positive difference.

This is such a great point and one you need to remind your friend of, if you haven't already.

Remind her that her choices, and the sacrifices she makes, to lessen the harm to animals in the world is making a difference.

She might be feeling overwhelmed. If she is, then reminder her that just by her NOT doing certain things, she's saving animals. She's making a big difference to them. Sometimes, I use this calculator to find out how many cows I haven't eaten. There are others on the Internet, but this is the simplest and easiest I've found so far.

http://vegetariancalculator.com/

As for FB stuff. I don't post graphic images because I know my friends will end up unsubscribing from my feed. Instead, I just post all the yummy pictures of food and tell them about awesome cruelty free/vegan products that I've found. I'm not sure what the vegan version of "You catch more flies with honey" is, but....yeah, that's the philosophy I live by :P

#12 Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, checked the calculator and it reckons for over half a whole animal per day!

Is that really "normal" eating? I just can't imagine it dizzy2.gif

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#13 Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Wait. Wait. Wait. You're asking if you should censor yourself
on your personal facebook profile because others have a
problem with it?
No. You did not do the wrong thing.

#14 Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Wow, checked the calculator and it reckons for over half a whole animal per day!

Is that really "normal" eating? I just can't imagine it dizzy2.gif

I know, right? Obviously, meat intake can change from person to person. Thinking back to the amount I used to eat, half an animal seems about right, sometimes more. But, even just halving it, it's a nice firm number to go "Hey, I did okay!"

There's this one too (different types of animals)0- http://wonder.sitehacks.com/animalssaved.php?m=&d=&y= and PETA have one as well. I think it just helps, in the case Johnsally's friend, to see how much a veg*n diet can help animals. The friend also won't the be last one to become overwhelmed by the cruelty out there. That's why I like these calculator, gives us something a bit more solid to look at.

#15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiii View Post

Wait. Wait. Wait. You're asking if you should censor yourself
on your personal facebook profile because others have a
problem with it?
No. You did not do the wrong thing.

Agreed.

Your personal facebook profile is for you to post things about you/what you like/what you do/what you believe in. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to look at it. Also, you may even share information that gets non animal rights activists thinking about what goes on, and how they can change.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#16 Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! Such great advice! I decided to keep the pic on there..as disturbing as it is. I posted some pics of happy animals too in the attempt to cheer everyone up..
I really like the advice that was given here about including a link on how people can help. Maybe I will just add a link to the humane society link that was provided on here.smiley.gif
Anyway, thanks everyone for all the great support and advice. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page