You know what really grinds my gears? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Beginner

When this so called "Vegan" at work just told me she is an avid hunter. She is like yeah I hunt and fish. So my response was" well you're not a vegan"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM

I concur, vegan is not a word I would use to describe her...hee hee.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Beginner

There should be a new thread on here entitled "Fegan" for those who like to act Vegan but really are not. We would see some really funny posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjustagirl View Post

I concur, vegan is not a word I would use to describe her...hee hee.

Yeah, stupid ass sounds more fitting

auto correct can kiss my ask
#5 Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Beginner

And then this omni from work leans over to me today and was like, "You know my husband has been hunting for years. He also eats and trophies what he kills and thats a sport that has been around forever." I swear the ignorance of some people drive me nuts. Well thats great that your crazy husband sits in a tree for hours preying on hopeless animals and calls it organic. I guarentee that when its not in season that same person goes to shoprite and buys factory farmed meat and fish too. Congrats on funding corporate agribusiness!
#6 Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

"The number of self-reported vegetarians and vegans is roughly double the number of
actual vegetarians and vegans"

source: http://cultivateresearch.com/Cultiva...ians_Count.pdf
#7 Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I think there was a thread about this a few months ago. I suppose that some people think that all it takes to be a vegan is to eat vegetables from time to time.

@ Elaine: That's hilarious.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#8 Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I had a lot of respect for this person until she said shes a hunter
#9 Old 08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Did she explain her mindset?

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#10 Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

What was her response when you told her she wasn't vegan?
I'd hope it was '' ooooh, I meant a photo-shoot!"

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 08-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Kari View Post

And then this omni from work leans over to me today and was like, "You know my husband has been hunting for years. He also eats and trophies what he kills and thats a sport that has been around forever." I swear the ignorance of some people drive me nuts. Well thats great that your crazy husband sits in a tree for hours preying on hopeless animals and calls it organic. I guarentee that when its not in season that same person goes to shoprite and buys factory farmed meat and fish too. Congrats on funding corporate agribusiness!

I feel for you! I was just at a family reunion (husband's side) and one neanderthal leaned up next to me as he was carrying a tray in from the grill and said "These are all veggie burgers. All the cows were vegetarians!" Har-de-har-har.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Did she explain her mindset?

"I hunt but have not killed anything yet but when I catch a fish I just take it home and give it to my family" Thats like saying I climb mountains but have never been to a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

What was her response when you told her she wasn't vegan?
I'd hope it was '' ooooh, I meant a photo-shoot!"

Well shes knows I am uber smart so she couldn't come up with a legit rebuttal. But she showed me her gun license and invited me to go to the range. LOL

The thing I am most curious about now is if the vegan cheesecake she made my girlfriend and I was actually vegan. HMMMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I feel for you! I was just at a family reunion (husband's side) and one neanderthal leaned up next to me as he was carrying a tray in from the grill and said "These are all veggie burgers. All the cows were vegetarians!" Har-de-har-har.

Haaaaa I love those sacastic comments.
#13 Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I read an obit for a person who was described as "A lifelong animal lover, {NAME} loved hunting, fishing, and the outdoors..."

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

When this so called "Vegan" at work just told me she is an avid hunter. She is like yeah I hunt and fish. So my response was" well you're not a vegan"

A vegan hunter is on the same oxymoronic (if that isn't a word then it should be?) level as a feminist wife beater.
#15 Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

yes I agree that is not a true Vegan and I go to church with bunch of hunters and last year I was afraid to eat their dinners because two of the pastors were saying there might be deer or bear meat in the food. I was like come on now and I am glad a few dinners we went there I was able to get proper foods.
#16 Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

"The number of self-reported vegetarians and vegans is roughly double the number of
actual vegetarians and vegans"

source: http://cultivateresearch.com/Cultiva...ians_Count.pdf

Yeah actually I know this is off subject, but I used to have so much respect for Gwyneth Paltrow, I used to tell people about how she had a vegan birthday cake and named her child apple, then I completely lost respect for her when I found the sad truth. It upsets me to think I looked up to her :/

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#17 Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I can not begin to comprehend how any human thinks going to someone's (the animal) house and killing them is cool in any way.

How would they feel if they were taking a walk, feeding their child or just eating lunch and a bow or bullet smacked them! Sheesh.

I really don't like hunting.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#18 Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

How bizarre. So I guess she eats vegan food for health reasons? That's fine I guess, but she shouldn't call herself vegan then.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#19 Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Beginner

Hey different stroke for different folks but I was still annoyed because all she does is talk about being vegan. She has a lot more homework to do
#20 Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

I found a woman I work with is eating a diet based on Esselstyns heart plan. She calls it vegan, but really isn't concerned about sometimes eating dairy, or sometimes fish. Correcting didn't sound like an option, as my pointing out Morningstar bacon had eggs just got a quizzical look!
I'm really glad people are finding plant based diets are healthy options, i wish they would call them plant based diets, and not vegan though.

#21 Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I found a woman I work with is eating a diet based on Esselstyns heart plan. She calls it vegan, but really isn't concerned about sometimes eating dairy, or sometimes fish. Correcting didn't sound like an option, as my pointing out Morningstar bacon had eggs just got a quizzical look!
I'm really glad people are finding plant based diets are healthy options, i wish they would call them plant based diets, and not vegan though.

That would be a vegetarian diet
#22 Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That would be a vegetarian diet

Except the "sometimes fish" part.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#23 Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 AM

Of course she can be a vegan and hunt. Being vegan is only a diet. Some people make it a lifestyle (myself included). Plenty of people are vegans for health reasons and couldn't care less about animal well being.

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
#24 Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Is Robbery View Post

Of course she can be a vegan and hunt. Being vegan is only a diet. Some people make it a lifestyle (myself included). Plenty of people are vegans for health reasons and couldn't care less about animal well being.

I would describe people who follow a vegan diet simply as someone who follows a vegan diet. Just like a person who follows a kosher diet is not necessarily a Jew, or a person who follows a halal diet is not necessarily a Muslim, a person who follows a vegan diet is not necessarily a vegan. Veganism is not just about diet. Just saying.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#25 Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Beginner

IMO, I think the primary reason for being a vegan is for animal rights. The heath benefits should be secondary. At least thats what the original idea was in the 60's before it was turned into a diet craze. Even if you become vegan, chances are somewhere in the middle of doing research you will find how gross the food industry is. That right there was enough to change my attitude on how animals are treated
#26 Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

^Exactly. Farming animals makes no sense in todays world. The arguement people will make of being meateaters holds no water in society where physical activity has to be planned, and food comes mostly prepared for assembly. Our ancestors had a constant adrenaline supply, ready for fight or flight at any given notice.
I do know a man who went on Dr. Esselstyns diet, which saved his life, and now is completely concious of the reasons to be vegan.

#27 Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Jeez, read some credible vegan literature for Buddha's sake. If people don't care about the well being of animals they're not a vegan.

m8itcanw8.com
#28 Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:

Im fairly new at this, but Im not sure I totally agree. I think Vegan would descrbe a lifestyle vs a Diet. What good does it really do if you use leather products, but just dont eat the cow. The cow still dies for your consumption of his hide. (your is not referencing you directly by the way)

I can never become Vegan, I still use leather products, I dont look at ingredients to make sure its 100% vegan safe. I guess but thats as far as I really go.
according to this forum I can call myself a vegitarian, but in reality since I eat eggs, I drink milk, I eat products made with egg, am I REALLY a vegitarian? In my mind? not really, more so than someone that consumes meat, but if I set my standards to a vegan, then I am not. Ovo Lacto Vegetarian,, is that a made up phrase to make us feel better about ourselves? at any rate, thats what I am.

Now as far as hunting, I never have, I have always had and used firearms, I have an extensive collection of rifles and handguns. I love to target shoot. But will never shoot an animal. ever.
#29 Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So much wrongage in that statement
I'm a bit worried about where people are learning about veganism these days

auto correct can kiss my ask
#30 Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM

I, personally would have to describe veganism has a lifestyle choice as well. When one chooses to be vegan, they are choosing not to contribute to animal's suffering, and that should encompass all areas of animal rights. Nowadays there are grocery stores. Hunting is not needed anymore, nor should it be a sport. Vegans should respect all life in my opinion, and not use animals for their own benefit.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page