PETA models shower nude to protest meat - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

Yah, I vent too.

What I am saying is at some point people become tired of venting, hearing it or doing it. It becomes pointless complaining. I really have seen the same people making the same complaint about PETA, on web boards, year after year, repeated thread after repeated thread.

Life is short, what a way to waste it.

I'm not talking about getting off the web board and actually doing something....even occasionally. Even talking or even venting about something else would be a change and less wasteful in a sad way.

Web boards have a pretty high turnover of members, so letting new people know that PETA is not the be-all and end-all of veganism is a pretty important thing. The assumption that just because something is talked about all the time is that it becomes worthless is exactly why we have 24 hour rolling news that turns off as soon as the tsunami's stop, the guns are silenced and we live in ignorance of the struggle of people to survive following catastrophes.
It's a long campaign to spread awareness of PETA's seedy side, but it's important to allow new vegetarians the opportunity to learn from older members about their mistakes. Maybe some of it is pointless complaining, but so what? Like 90% of what is written in web boards is useless anyway, whether it's complaining or 'I agree with what x said but I can't be bothered typing it out myself.'

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Life is short, what a way to waste it.

Life is the longest thing any of us will ever know.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#63 Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Web boards have a pretty high turnover of members, so letting new people know that PETA is not the be-all and end-all of veganism is a pretty important thing.

IMHO, it is more important to go out and do things for animals instead of complaining about other people who are. Barring that a good second choice is doing something with our time instead of having the same conversation over and over again with the delusion that it matters.

People who write PETA off as being "all vegans" will not come to a web board or hold that view for long.

I do have my problems with some of the things that PETA does, but they aren't going away.
#64 Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

IMHO, it is more important to go out and do things for animals instead of complaining about other people who are. Barring that a good second choice is doing something with our time instead of having the same conversation over and over again with the delusion that it matters.

And yet it matters enough to you to sacrifice much of your own precious time posting in this thread instead of going outside and doing something for animals.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#65 Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

i think people can make up their own minds about peta and its use of publicity stunts. and i honestly don't think it much matters. people generally don't give a damn about what happens to food animals, as long as they don't have to do the killing themselves. if industry takes care of cruelty, it doesn't really exist for most people. as a practical matter, i think it's a lot more effective to promote veganism through teaching people about health. otherwise, people will turn a deaf ear to the idea that the products they buy hurt animals. they'll be offended, just like animal right activists who keep carnivores don't want to be reminded about where the meat that they feed their pets comes from. the real growth in veganism will occur because people are interested in their own health. unfortunately, most people truly believe they need animal products to be healthy. once they become convinced that not only do they not need them, but that they're terrible for health, then they're able to look at animal suffering more objectively (because it's no longer necessary).

but as a man, i can't help but admit that those peta girls are damn cute .
#66 Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

And yet it matters enough to you to sacrifice much of your own precious time posting in this thread instead of going outside and doing something for animals.

I wonder what would happen if cyanocobalamin opened one of the SFP threads, what with his/her concern about time usage and how useful Internet discussions are.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#67 Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

There is always the option to do what I do when people disrobe and avert your eyes.
#68 Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I wonder what would happen if cyanocobalamin opened one of the SFP threads, what with his/her concern about time usage and how useful Internet discussions are.

He'd probably have to go take a shower. Naked.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#69 Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

There is always the option to do what I do when people disrobe and avert your eyes.

Entirely beside the point. People aren't offended by the nudity, but the offensively standardised vision of femininity that PETA promotes, coupled with their trivialising of the vegan movement. Averting your eyes does nothing to challenge sexism and body fascism, or heteronormativity.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#70 Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Beginner

I would rather they protest naked, than protest with violence or insults.

~Earth, sky, woods, fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the seas, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books~
~John Lubbock~
#71 Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontë View Post

I would rather they protest naked, than protest with violence or insults.

I would too.
#72 Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

i think in general, our society is too hung up on nudity. i don't see how it's that big a deal. so peta has a few nude models show up for a protest. *yawn*.
#73 Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Entirely beside the point. People aren't offended by the nudity, but the offensively standardised vision of femininity that PETA promotes, coupled with their trivialising of the vegan movement. Averting your eyes does nothing to challenge sexism and body fascism, or heteronormativity.

This. It's the favored tactic of sexists to make people who object to sexism look like they are all a bunch of anti-sex and anti-nudity prudes, when that's got nothing to do with it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#74 Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Why is my response beside the point? Though it might not fit in entirely with your own, I have an opinion as well.

I wasn't targeting you, just pointing out that 'averting your eyes' isn't the solution to people that bring negative impacts to the vegan movement. And for the record, 'movement' is about as vague a term as it can be, so it's not a 'neat definition.' I think combating sexism like PETA is as important as distancing ourselves from people that use gratuitous violence.
And yes, some people might be offended by nudity, but averting your eyes isn't the answer in relation to a movement you adovcate with. I'm sure that you're infuritated with the mess of gratuitous nudity on tv, etc and I actually agree with you.

The difference between PETA and stuff like the 'slut walk' is that PETA conforms to the offensive standards of feminity promoted by the media and predominantly favours white, attractive skinny women. The slut walk is solidarity with all women, because all women are at risk of rape in the area it took place. There's a lot of debate to be had about the language use, but I won't bother getting into that here...

But yea, sorry that you took what I said so personally, I realise it was phrased rather confrontationally and didn't mean it to sound so combative. The only thing I would add is that while some people do discern between PETA and the rest of veganism, the divide seems in popular culture to exist as; 'if they talk about it, they're probably PETA, if they don't, they're ok.' PETA has, I think, definitely resulted in some smears against veganism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

This. It's the favored tactic of sexists to make people who object to sexism look like they are all a bunch of anti-sex and anti-nudity prudes, when that's got nothing to do with it.

It certainly is. I'd be quite happy to see PETA conducting nude protests if they didn't exclude larger women, men and the transgendered too. The heteronormative cisgender style doesn't offer them anything other than the sexist grunts of lechers and maybe showing people other than the 'beautiful people' would encourage others to make a change.

#75 Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Beginner

From things that I have heard from people, many seem to react badly to PETAs protests because they know in some way that what they are saying is true. I know Peta do a lot for the shock factor, but when you look past that, the message is pretty clear. Some friends of mine, who eat meat, were saying that they are annoyed about PETA because they throw in their face what they don't want to see. They know it's wrong, but when it isn't in front of them it is easier to dismiss.

~Earth, sky, woods, fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the seas, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books~
~John Lubbock~
#76 Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontë View Post

From things that I have heard from people, many seem to react badly to PETAs protests because they know in some way that what they are saying is true. I know Peta do a lot for the shock factor, but when you look past that, the message is pretty clear. Some friends of mine, who eat meat, were saying that they are annoyed about PETA because they throw in their face what they don't want to see. They know it's wrong, but when it isn't in front of them it is easier to dismiss.

I like their leaflets, etc that don't feature nude women on them. When they get combative, PETA's protests are great. When they're just publicity stunts, not so much. I don't know many people that remember the AR side more than the 'secksi lay-deez' though.

#77 Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd be quite happy to see PETA conducting nude protests if they didn't exclude larger women, men and the transgendered too. The heteronormative cisgender style doesn't offer them anything other than the sexist grunts of lechers and maybe showing people other than the 'beautiful people' would encourage others to make a change.

Exactly.

www.sharksavers.org
#78 Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

From the comments section:

Let’s see… Animals create CO2 (a Greenhouse Gas)… Plants convert CO2 to O2 (reducing greenhouse gas by converting to life sustaining Oxygen)… Vegans eat plants and save animals… stay with me here… Wouldn’t the logic follow that Vegans are prime contributers to Global Warming? Prevent Global Warming! Eat meat!

Head, meet desk.

Edit: The rest of it's no better. Urgh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#79 Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

I think they should try going in the other direction as I don't see using attractive women ever worked anyway. Use the most unattractive person they could find to pose nude. Threaten to keep up with the public nuisance until all the leaflets are taken by the passerby, even if it's just to shield their eyes.
#80 Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM

PETAs aim is good, but the way it attempts to achieve it grates on me. mainly because of the fact that, while it probably isn't deliberate, they seem to be trying to sacrifice womens rights for animal rights. they only ever (to my knowledge) use naked women for advertising veg*nism, and they have some weird slogan which has something to do with it being ok to chain up women in the bedroom as long as the animals are ok. don't get me wrong, i think animal rights are of equal importance to all human rights, it just kind of irritates me. sorry if this is pathetically strung together, i haven't managed to sleep for over a day so my mind is kind of...squiggly...

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#81 Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM

This helps people to go vegan as much as every other yellow news about celebrity cheating, breast augmentation or break up. It is just very confusing and people either don't get the message or think that you have to be pretty and young female to be vegan.
#82 Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancheez View Post

which has something to do with it being ok to chain up women in the bedroom as long as the animals are ok. ..

And if I were younger and single, this is exactly why I would be vegan and search for vegan girlfriends.
#83 Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

And if I were younger and single, this is exactly why I would be vegan and search for vegan girlfriends.

*confused* it sounds like your being pervy but i don't want to believe it e.e

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#84 Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
they only ever (to my knowledge) use naked women for advertising veg*nism

"I'd rather go naked than wear fur" is the slogan of the first PETA campaign to involve nudity. And they've used male celebs in veg*n campaigns as well as female. FWIW

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#85 Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Ira
Banned

lol, i just watched a show where a german model Daniela Katzenberger is posing nude for a campaign to help street cats and fixing them and after she talked to the camera and said "i should motivate people with my boobs to fix cats. so will they look at my boobs and think 'hmmm i need go fix a cat again'?" haha. i like PETA but that was funny
#86 Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 AM

I think it's marketing. PETA says: "Want my body ? Go Vegetarian": http://www.greenwala.com/channels/gr...egetarian-Body
Womens want to be beautiful so PETA says if you want to be beautiful go vegetarian !
I think it's because PETA is american !
#87 Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Well, thats embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page