PETA models shower nude to protest meat - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Men like women screwing vegetables? That's a new one.... I'll have to think that one over. Actually, these ladies made me aware of the water issue associated with meat consumption, so their 'immoral' conduct wasn't completely without value.

'Immoral' is the wrong word really. It suggests a higher power, judgment, etc. 'Unethical' works better, and help tie it in with veg*nism. Suggesting that it is 'immoral' suggests that there is a 'right' way to behave for cultural (often patriarchal) reasons rather than emancipation.
But yea, I agree with the above comment that PETA's vision of womanhood is just a more sexually exploitative version of what we have now. If they had black women, Chinese women, fat women, rather than your typical visions of womanhood, things like this might be more revolutionary.

I am glad that you got something out of it though Capstan. I never said it was without value though, very few things in this world are, but I think that excusing it for not being entirely useless is a bad argument, and we should always criticise to improve!

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

*****, get back into the kitchen and cook my dinner. Who said you could have an opinion?

one thing your missing here is that besides doing all the cooking and cleaning, the modern liberated woman should also work full time.
#33 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*****, get back into the kitchen and cook my dinner. Who said you could have an opinion?

Hahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Men like women screwing vegetables? That's a new one.... I'll have to think that one over. Actually, these ladies made me aware of the water issue associated with meat consumption, so their 'immoral' conduct wasn't completely without value.

You're illustrating my point. Sexism yields as flawed a view of men as it does of women.

And none of this has anything to do with morality. Or sex.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#34 Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a lot of omni friends at school and the overwhelming reaction to ads like this is 'what a bunch of freaks, but she has nice titties!'. Yeah it calls attention to the ad, but contrary to what many here would believe, not all publicity is good publicity. Sometimes it just highlights the publicity... not the message?
#35 Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

You're illustrating my point. Sexism yields as flawed a view of men as it does of women.

And none of this has anything to do with morality. Or sex.

So, in a nutshell, what is the ideal view of humanity?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#36 Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hahahaha!

Yeah you think I am joking, but what are you cooking for me tonight? And you best be nekkid. I will not tolerate this insolence.
#37 Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I am beginning to wonder about that also but they have good recipes tho.

I once made a cake from their website, it didnt rise and was gross.

False advertising, I can see flipflops in that video. That is highly un-naked.
#38 Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah you think I am joking, but what are you cooking for me tonight? And you best be nekkid. I will not tolerate this insolence.

Tonight, we're doing it Old Skool Vegan style. You're getting a great big bowl of cornflakes with water instead of milk, and I'll be wearing my old faded housecoat, oversized slippers, big jumbo rollers in my hair, covered with a hair net, and I'll be smoking a ciggie.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#39 Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I have a lot of omni friends at school and the overwhelming reaction to ads like this is 'what a bunch of freaks, but she has nice titties!'. Yeah it calls attention to the ad, but contrary to what many here would believe, not all publicity is good publicity. Sometimes it just highlights the publicity... not the message?

So true! I can't tell you how many clever and entertaining commercials I've seen that made me laugh, but if you asked me what product those commercials were supposed to be selling I'd have no clue.

Yes, men like breasts. But the fact that breasts grab mens attention doesn't mean they are going to listen to anything the owners of those breasts have to say, they just get a free show and a bad opinion of vegetarianism in general.

I've never once heard a straight omni guy say "Oh yeah, I love PETA! All those naked women really got me thinking about the way our society treats animals." but I HAVE heard men say many many times something more like: "I hate those stupid PETA freaks! But at least the chicks are hot."

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#40 Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I think PETA are doing a good job of promoting naked women in baths, but I cant see how their tactics would cause people to be more interested in animals, it will just cause people to think more about naked women in baths, and discuss that. The media is saturated with raunchy messages anyway, so people hardly needed more help to discuss females that are naked, especially with new sex tapes and naked photos of celebrities appearing all the time.
#41 Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Sex sells sex, not vegetarianism! PETA refuses to acknowledge this or that female humans are animals that don't deserve objectification any more than other animals.
#42 Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Animal liberation is a step towards total human emancipation, and that means from sexism, sizeism and class distinctions which PETA helps promote. Not only do actions like this trivialise veganism, they promote the very distinctions which encourage and thrive in the same ways that anti-animal sentiments do.

Trading in one form of oppression (speciesism) for another (sexism) hardly seems a step in the right direction.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#43 Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Tonight, we're doing it Old Skool Vegan style. You're getting a great big bowl of cornflakes with water instead of milk, and I'll be wearing my old faded housecoat, oversized slippers, big jumbo rollers in my hair, covered with a hair net, and I'll be smoking a ciggie.

By Old Skool I hope you mean a box of Cornflakes from a year ago, since they've started getting the D vitamins from Lanolin...

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#44 Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

By Old Skool I hope you mean a box of Cornflakes from a year ago, since they've started getting the D vitamins from Lanolin...

Well that's all a joke. However, decades ago, before you could buy soymilk, or any other sort of milk, in the store, I knew someone who poured water on her cold cereal. I just quit eating cold cereal. Switched to hot.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#45 Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I've never once heard a straight omni guy say "Oh yeah, I love PETA! All those naked women really got me thinking about the way our society treats animals." but I HAVE heard men say many many times something more like: "I hate those stupid PETA freaks! But at least the chicks are hot."

It gives some of us vegans something to rally around. After all - we can't have sex with omnivores anymore, ya know.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#46 Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

It gives some of us vegans something to rally around. After all - we can't have sex with omnivores anymore, ya know.

We can't? This is news to me.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#47 Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

We can't? This is news to me.

<Tongue was in cheek

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#48 Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well that's all a joke. However, decades ago, before you could buy soymilk, or any other sort of milk, in the store, I knew someone who poured water on her cold cereal. I just quit eating cold cereal. Switched to hot.

#49 Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see the point in complaining about PETA. PETA doesn't care what people posting to vegetarian web boards think. 5 years ago people were posting virtually the same complaints. Nothing has changed. 5 Years from now PETA will still be here and the same complaints, possibly by the same people will still be here.
#50 Old 04-02-2011, 07:46 PM

you know how everyone seems to say PETA kill 99% of the animals they "rescue"? does anyone know if thats actually true?
and to avoid ranting about how sexist they are, i will go for a less directly related, why is it that the advertising industry uses scantily clad women trying their utmost to look sexy to sell things like womens perfume
i mean, with for example lynx, their advertising, while being pretty much the definition of sexism, makes sense. i would assume that many men find the idea of plasticly pretty women throwing themselves at them attractive, but why do they use pictures of women looking like theyr touching themselves to sell stuff to women? why not switch it so its plasticly pretty men involved? at least then it would make sense, despite being everything i hate and more...

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#51 Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

I don't see the point in complaining about PETA. PETA doesn't care what people posting to vegetarian web boards think. 5 years ago people were posting virtually the same complaints. Nothing has changed. 5 Years from now PETA will still be here and the same complaints, possibly by the same people will still be here.

:s Do you only say things because they might have an impact on something? Do you never say things simply because they're what you think? I don't think anyone here is posting saying they dislike PETAs methods because they think PETA are going to read it and say "By George! We must change out ways!", people are just discussion their veiws.
#52 Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancheez View Post

you know how everyone seems to say PETA kill 99% of the animals they "rescue"? does anyone know if thats actually true?
and to avoid ranting about how sexist they are, i will go for a less directly related, why is it that the advertising industry uses scantily clad women trying their utmost to look sexy to sell things like womens perfume
i mean, with for example lynx, their advertising, while being pretty much the definition of sexism, makes sense. i would assume that many men find the idea of plasticly pretty women throwing themselves at them attractive, but why do they use pictures of women looking like theyr touching themselves to sell stuff to women? why not switch it so its plasticly pretty men involved? at least then it would make sense, despite being everything i hate and more...

Women are made to consume because they are given an ideal to live up to. In the case of creams, etc it's 'wow doesn't x celebrity look good for her age, I wish I was that good looking?' Perfume tends to be bought as a gift though, so it's generally chosen by partners hence the sexual advertisements (or, alternatively, suggesting that smelling a certain way will make you irresistably sexual).

Also criticising PETA online like this does serve the purpose of perhaps showing those who don't understand the criticism of PETA why we do it, and steer them towards the Vegan Society or whatever.

#53 Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I shower nude every day. I had no idea I was doing so much to promote vegetarianism.

Rofl.

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

#54 Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

Sex sells sex, not vegetarianism! PETA refuses to acknowledge this or that female humans are animals that don't deserve objectification any more than other animals.

I agree.
#55 Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

:s Do you only say things because they might have an impact on something? Do you never say things simply because they're what you think? I don't think anyone here is posting saying they dislike PETAs methods because they think PETA are going to read it and say "By George! We must change out ways!", people are just discussion their veiws.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#56 Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So what are you saying? Are you trying to claim that the Iraq war didn't end because people on VB shared their views about it? Surely you jest.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#57 Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

i think sevenseas would be a LOT more vocal about this if it were tom cruise showering naked. disrepect this image at your own peril.
#58 Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i think sevenseas would be a LOT more vocal about this if it were tom cruise showering naked. disrepect this image at your own peril.

Tom Cruise could shower for three months non-stop, and he'd still be stained beyond belief in his soul.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#59 Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

So what are you saying? Are you trying to claim that the Iraq war didn't end because people on VB shared their views about it? Surely you jest.

*Guffaws*
#60 Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you only say things because they might have an impact on something? Do you never say things simply because they're what you think? I don't think anyone here is posting saying they dislike PETAs methods because they think PETA are going to read it and say "By George! We must change out ways!", people are just discussion their veiws.

Yah, I vent too.

What I am saying is at some point people become tired of venting, hearing it or doing it. It becomes pointless complaining. I really have seen the same people making the same complaint about PETA, on web boards, year after year, repeated thread after repeated thread.

Life is short, what a way to waste it.

I'm not talking about getting off the web board and actually doing something....even occasionally. Even talking or even venting about something else would be a change and less wasteful in a sad way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page