Why are you NOT an activist? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering if there are people here who talk a lot, or post a lot on their Facebook/Twitter about certain issues, but never engage in any activism beyond their computer screen...

Please nobody be mean to them, I just want to genuinely know and think it may be a good resource for others too, if at least, in regards to understanding (as I have heard some people get arsey with others who don't do as much as them)...

I'm just curious as to why you don't get out there? Is it a case of too many commitments? Money? Fear? Laziness? Illness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Up until about a year ago I only did online activism. (Well, I say "only" but that's not to say it's any less. Just look at what Eugene has managed to accomplish with Facebook recently.)

My biggest reasons were

1 - I worked third shift and slept during the day. That's no longer a problem.

2 - I was nervous and lacked confidence.

3 - I didn't want to be perceived as annoying or preachy.

Number one was overcame when I got a new job working days.

2 and 3 remain big issues for many. My response would be that if you are doing something good and positive, to smile big and be cheerful when you're doing it. You'll convince yourself you're having fun, and after doing it for about five or ten minutes most of your nervousness will go away.

As for point 3, I finally convinced myself that it's not preachy or pushy to give someone information that might cause them to re evaluate their lifestyle decisions. I'm thankful someone chose to share the "meet your meat" video with me some years ago. When I hand someone a leaflet, I'm actually doing them a favor by exposing them to information they may otherwise never see in their lives. I can't force them to act on what they see, nor would I want to force anybody, but it's not rude or arrogant to share information. The free dispersion of information and the right to think and choose are part of what defines a free society, and humanity itself.

Tam! RUGH!
#3 Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It's too boring.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It's too boring.

I've rarely encountered a dull moment so far, except for the wait between class changes at the college I leaflet. That's why it helps to bring a portable gaming console, some music CDs for the car or a book to read. The interactions with other human beings are never dull or boring. They're often quite stimulating.

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I have only started being an activist this past year. What held me back from doing it sooner was:
My shyness - several factors; finding people to go with, interacting with non-protesters ect
Didn't see the need - there are many ways of standing up for animal rights without protesting
time and money - transportation, school schedule ect
Factors have changed and now that I have started activism I love it

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#6 Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Because I am only beginning too I use only sources for now and when I have the money I will donate to places that has able bodied people to go out and tell the world about certain issues. Its getting more and more dangerous out and I rather do simple things for now.
#7 Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm busy, in high school, and have non-veg parents who don't get it.

I'd love to do activist work next year with the local humane group to work against the ridiculous New Jersey bear hunt. I live right near the state capital, too, so I feel I should do something. It's just time consuming.
#8 Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Beginner

I lack of confidence and don't know other people who might do it with me. Maybe in a couple of months I can start this summer who knows. I'd love to do a Vegan bake sale (profits go to the local spca) with pamphlets informing people about veganism and yummy vegan cookies and cupcakes. That's my plan as soon as summer starts, I think i'll have time to work on my confidence and nervousness.

herb is the gift from the earth and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth
so before you knock it try it first
you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse
#9 Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM

I guess I don't really know what to do. I'm open to suggestions, but I do only have so many resources. Plus, I'm not sure how effective I can be.
#10 Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGEV View Post

I lack of confidence and don't know other people who might do it with me. Maybe in a couple of months I can start this summer who knows. I'd love to do a Vegan bake sale (profits go to the local spca) with pamphlets informing people about veganism and yummy vegan cookies and cupcakes. That's my plan as soon as summer starts, I think i'll have time to work on my confidence and nervousness.

I went to anti-fur day protests alone. I met a lot of people and made some new friends People are really nice about it they're not like "Oh you came alone? Well clearly you have no friends and we don't want your here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashelle View Post

I guess I don't really know what to do. I'm open to suggestions, but I do only have so many resources. Plus, I'm not sure how effective I can be.

Try facebooking causes your interested in and seeing if theres anything in your area? My friend who got me into veganism sent me invites to ones around here

#11 Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Lack of confidence. I am a very timid sensitive person and the thought of standing somewhere trying to inform people on a subject they usually want to tune out or get hostile about terrifies me. Plus I don't know any vegans, or have any resources. And I guess I'll admit I'm a bit lazy. But it's mostly fear.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#12 Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

When I became vegan, I was working awake overnight shifts, so I slept during the day.

Now I have been promoted and I work days! Unfortunately, as the manager of a house in perpetual effing crisis, I work 60-70 hour weeks. Hell, it's March 5th, and I haven't had time to buy my immediate family members Christmas presents yet. On my days off (more like "hours off between shifts" since I usually work 6 or 7 days a week) like today... Well, okay, fine, I worked from 7am-10am this morning... Anyway, on my days off when I can be seen posting here, it's usually because I'm hanging around the house spending the entire day cooking and doing laundry for the week. I basically have time for work and ensuring the necessities of daily living, like eating and wearing clothes. Thazit.
#13 Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I live in small-town Japan. There's not a whole activism going on here that's a) something I'm interested in, and b) something I have the language skills not just to take part in but to find out about in the first place.

So, not so much. But I'm joining the Peace Corps; does that count as activism?
#14 Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I still don't consider myself an activist. I prefer to call myself an "animal advocate." That's because activist has a negative connotation in my mind.

I would hope that anyone who had the knowledge that I have would be motivated to get active and work to end animal exploitation. I would hope they wouldn't need to identify as an activist in order to get things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

Lack of confidence. I am a very timid sensitive person and the thought of standing somewhere trying to inform people on a subject they usually want to tune out or get hostile about terrifies me. Plus I don't know any vegans, or have any resources. And I guess I'll admit I'm a bit lazy. But it's mostly fear.

About 4 years ago I found an organization that was doing vegan leafleting and education in classrooms near me. I signed up to volunteer. That helped me learn how to do it and to overcome my fears. Maybe you could find a group near you to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashelle View Post

Vegan Outreach is probably one of the most effective organizations. You can get involved for very little expense on your part and once you're involved, it's really just your time that's the most "costly" investment.
#15 Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Beginner

@vegansarawr: i'll definitely try to find a local organization i can join for protests. You're right, that would be a great way to find new friends

herb is the gift from the earth and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth
so before you knock it try it first
you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse
#16 Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Because I have kids. If I didn't, I'd probably be in jail right now for animal liberation.
#17 Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't want to be an activist I suppose. I don't engage in "activism" online or offline.

I think my reasons are complicated. Firstly and most importantly, I don't feel I have a duty to be an activist. I have a duty not to cause suffering myself, but if I want to go the extra mile and campaign for things I believe in (be that animal rights, human rights, social issues or whatever) that's a choice, and a GOOD choice to make, but not one I feel oblidged to make.

In the future I would like to campaign or volenteer for things I believe in, and when I am earning money I'll go back to reguarlly donating to charities I support, but for the time being it's not right for me, I wouldn't enjoy it, and I think I would find it too stressful. I would also be very selective about the forms of activism I'd embrace, as I dislike a lot of the styles of activism I see - although often the most distasteful are also the most effective with the general public.
#18 Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbbymama View Post

Because I have kids. If I didn't, I'd probably be in jail right now for animal liberation.

My friend brings her son to protests with her. but I understand that kids are harder to protest with than kid. and he's young enough to be in his stroller - or at least was last year. she doesn't bring him out when its cold.

#19 Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Beginner

I'm shy
#20 Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows that I'm veg*n and this is something that is openly discussed a lot. I haven't moved on to strangers mainly due to severe social anxiety. I ordered bunch of booklets from Vegan Outreach one time and have given a few to friends/family/co-workers but they have largely sat here unused. I would feel much better about having them on a table and having people approach me. If people are genuinely interested I will answer all the questions I can and talk their ear off about this stuff but I am really bad at confrontation and do not feel I currently have the ability to be more active than I am.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#21 Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not actively involved because of possible problems it could cause in my future which i will not be discussing
#22 Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacebone View Post

I was wondering if there are people here who talk a lot, or post a lot on their Facebook/Twitter about certain issues, but never engage in any activism beyond their computer screen...

Please nobody be mean to them, I just want to genuinely know and think it may be a good resource for others too, if at least, in regards to understanding (as I have heard some people get arsey with others who don't do as much as them)...

I'm just curious as to why you don't get out there? Is it a case of too many commitments? Money? Fear? Laziness? Illness?

Because it's stupid.
#23 Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizar View Post

Because it's stupid.

Because?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#24 Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 AM

I'm just not interested in becoming a vegan missionary. I talk to people about my veganism if they ask, but I've never experienced any need to convert other people.
#25 Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Eh...
I don't like going out to the streets to do things, because that just has a bad reputation, and don't think it has too much of a success rate. I tried leafletting once around my college campus... I just felt like a weirdo, walking around handing out pamphlets to strangers, and I didn't get the thrill of making a progressive effort. Also, for those things, it really helps to be charismatic, and I'm much more introverted. I think a personal connection is important in persuading someone, and it takes time for me to establish that, ya know?

I do, however, insert vegetarianism where I can in personal conversation, and through academic outlets.
I like to write essays on the topic, when I get a broad enough subject to encompass it. I had a sociology professor once who, after I turned in an assignment on world hunger, read my response to the class because I made a solid point about the inefficiency and wastefulness of growing meat for food. I also recently gave a speech on vegetarianism and ecological sustainability, and it seemed to actually reach a few people in my class.

I think you could still call it activism, though. I feel a lot of our ideas of activism are centered around the "extroverted" approaches - the protests, leafletting, public exhibitions - while the "introverted" efforts kind of get overlooked - gathering and synthesizing information (through writing, namely), and small-scale conversation.
#26 Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

I do, however, insert vegetarianism where I can in personal conversation, and through academic outlets.
I like to write essays on the topic, when I get a broad enough subject to encompass it. I had a sociology professor once who, after I turned in an assignment on world hunger, read my response to the class because I made a solid point about the inefficiency and wastefulness of growing meat for food. I also recently gave a speech on vegetarianism and ecological sustainability, and it seemed to actually reach a few people in my class.

This is very cool! There are definitely many forms of advocacy, glad you found a way that works for you.

Would love to participate in some kind of activism but I have issues with panic disorder with agoraphobia and social phobia so I'm very introverted. Very, very, very slowly improving with occasional steps backward and have practiced feigning confidence though. Maybe I can attempt it once I become desensitized enough, beginning with assisting an experienced activist/activists if possible. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll be looking for alternative methods as well.

Occasionally, I post food pictures on Facebook to show my family that vegan food can be 'normal' and delicious food. I also cook something for everyone to try on special occasions. I've received some positive comments and did a bit of recipe swapping. Guess that counts for something.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#27 Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Ira
Banned

i don't have the personality for it. i am more likely to get angry and blow up when talking about such things which will make it worse for my case. so i smartly shut up
#28 Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Ira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Occasionally, I post food pictures on Facebook to show my family that vegan food can be 'normal' and delicious food. I also cook something for everyone to try on special occasions. I've received some positive comments and did a bit of recipe swapping. Guess that counts for something.

thats what i do too
#29 Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I'm not yet vegan. But I don't like it when pro-lifers do it to me, so I won't be doing it to other people. Pro-lifers have never managed to change my mind despite all the "information" I've been given and all the bloody pictures I've seen, so I don't expect to change minds in that way. Selling vegan cookies at a friendly venue and discussing my diet with anyone who raises an interest, absolutely. Volunteering at an animal sanctuary, well I already do that. Trying to force people to view pictures of bloody carcasses, no.

Also, as others have mentioned, I don't think I have the personality for it.
#30 Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm shy and a very new vegan. I may get more involved once I find the form of activism that works for me. I could see doing a bake sale, I love baking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page