Why are you NOT an activist? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

I have way too much going on in my life right now, I can't take on another task like activism. I've even been putting my online activism work on hold because of my schedule and stress level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacebone View Post

I was wondering if there are people here who talk a lot, or post a lot on their Facebook/Twitter about certain issues, but never engage in any activism beyond their computer screen...

My opinion is that veganism attracts many people who are introverts by nature. It is fearful, awkward, for them to go out in person and do something like leaflet.

Leafleting is a bit like getting into a cold swimming pool. A few moments after you start you feel completely fine.

It feels even more comfortable if you do it with someone else. The positive feedback you get from people is a blast and the *occasional* crank is a source for camaraderie with your leafleting buddy.

Leafletting is incredibly efficient too. If you go to a busy pedestrian spot you can pass out a huge box of literature in an about an hour. Next time you write a blog or a forum post look at the clock on your computer to see how long it takes.

The best part about leafletting is that if you do it regularly you get people coming up to tell you how such a leaflet made them go vegan. That is a lot more rewarding than getting into philosophical pissing contests with other vegans on the web.

You also get to meet people and give your social life a boost.
#33 Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 PM

i have school, and i swear every single activist thing is organised monday to friday...ive tried to sneak off to a few protests, but i always seem to fail for whatever reason. anyway, easter holidays coming up, i have vegan and vegetarian friends, i figure i can make it to something under the pretence of going to camden or something...i hate feeling useless like this.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM

I am a online activist. In te real life it's very difficult in France and more in Paris because people don't have times (in Paris) and a lot of people didn't care about animals rights you know. I am a sensible person.
I study law in college and I want to be an animal advocate.
I have a dream: save animals !
#35 Old 05-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm not really a cause-y type of person. I show my support by living my life as best as I see fit. This includes shunning animal products wherever and whenever possible, and discussing my choices with others in an educational and non-judgmental way. I'm also a huge fan of quietly putting my money where my mouth is.

Plus my spare time is seriously limited and my job is somewhat public, so... Yeah.
#36 Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

My opinion is that veganism attracts many people who are introverts by nature. It is fearful, awkward, for them to go out in person and do something like leaflet.

Leafleting is a bit like getting into a cold swimming pool. A few moments after you start you feel completely fine.

It feels even more comfortable if you do it with someone else. The positive feedback you get from people is a blast and the *occasional* crank is a source for camaraderie with your leafleting buddy.

Leafletting is incredibly efficient too. If you go to a busy pedestrian spot you can pass out a huge box of literature in an about an hour. Next time you write a blog or a forum post look at the clock on your computer to see how long it takes.

The best part about leafletting is that if you do it regularly you get people coming up to tell you how such a leaflet made them go vegan. That is a lot more rewarding than getting into philosophical pissing contests with other vegans on the web.

You also get to meet people and give your social life a boost.

I just wanna say this...
you can leaflet AND get into philosophical pissing contests with other vegans online if you want. It's not like you have to choose
#37 Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I would really like to get into more activism. The problem is I dont know any other vegans or people who would want to protest with me. So that would mean me out there by myself and I really dont have the confidence for that. My shyness is a big factor in why I'm not more of an activist. I dont like conflict and I feel like whenever I talk about being vegan people want to argue with me about it. I dont want to have to defend my lifestyle and beliefs. I feel guilty for not doing more to help animals because I know that my excuses shouldnt matter when there are so many animals that need help. Also it's such an overwhelmingly big problem that I dont know what to do!
#38 Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM

I really miss being an activist. Really the only reason that I havent done anything since I moved to Massachusetts is because of school and no free time. Ive gone to a free protests in Boston but its hard to get out there because I have no money because I no longer have a job. But then again if I had a job- Id have even less time. I'm working on starting a school group.

I really need a job.
#39 Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM

I think everyone has their own pace and path. Even baby steps can help. I wise person once said..........."the best time to start something was 20 years ago, but the 2nd best time is to start today"

Stephanie Prather
Vegetable Tour Guide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the World One Vegetable at a Time"
#40 Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm new to veg*nism but I don't think I would be interested in being an activist.

I prefer to lead by example and engage people who come to me as persons interested in living a vegetarian or vegan life.

Additionally, I work full-time and go to school half-time, which leaves me about two free hours a night.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#41 Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

People may see these as excuses but i see them as perfectly valid reasons.
Firstly, and possibly the biggest reason, is that I suffer from very bad Anxiety and do not think that I could control it when yelling at people through a megaphone or whatever. To be arrested is one of my biggest terrors, not fears, its much more than that.
Secondly I feel a bit insulted to think that other activists think that we are not doing anything, even posting things in a calm way on the internet is making a difference, only the other day I was talking on another forum and 5 people decided to stop using products tested on animals, and a few wanted to give up meat even if just a few times a week. I may not be changing the world, but I did make a difference and Im damn proud of that. I also create art (free of charge) to aid campaigns, and for tshirts that an animal rights group used to sell to raise money for their campaigns.
Like others I talk about my veg*nism and try to make a difference that way, talking and answering peoples questions can be just as effetice as any other kind of activism. More so infact because if theres one thing omnis dont like, its being preached at for eating meat. Youre not going to change someones choices by yelling at them, in my opinion.
Its a bit similar to vegans who tell vegetarians they are not making a difference by simply giving up meat. Its making some difference and isnt that the important thing!
#42 Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

People may see these as excuses but i see them as perfectly valid reasons.
Firstly, and possibly the biggest reason, is that I suffer from very bad Anxiety and do not think that I could control it when yelling at people through a megaphone or whatever. To be arrested is one of my biggest terrors, not fears, its much more than that.
Secondly I feel a bit insulted to think that other activists think that we are not doing anything, even posting things in a calm way on the internet is making a difference, only the other day I was talking on another forum and 5 people decided to stop using products tested on animals, and a few wanted to give up meat even if just a few times a week. I may not be changing the world, but I did make a difference and Im damn proud of that. I also create art (free of charge) to aid campaigns, and for tshirts that an animal rights group used to sell to raise money for their campaigns.
Like others I talk about my veg*nism and try to make a difference that way, talking and answering peoples questions can be just as effetice as any other kind of activism. More so infact because if theres one thing omnis dont like, its being preached at for eating meat. Youre not going to change someones choices by yelling at them, in my opinion.
Its a bit similar to vegans who tell vegetarians they are not making a difference by simply giving up meat. Its making some difference and isnt that the important thing!

I think the things you mentioned count as forms of activism, that's awesome. Especially getting so many people to switch to cruelty free products!

And I have anxiety issues too so I hear ya. I haven't leafleted yet because I'm still kind of freaked out by the idea. I do sneaky leafleting under cover of darkness! I tend to leave pamphlets wherever I go, in the doctors office or at news stands or anywhere I see a good opportunity to leave some reading material. And I have some cute peta2 stickers that say "I am not a nugget" and "pigs are friends not food", sometimes I will stick those at bus stops or other visible places. I also do bake sales and donate and do a bunch of online activism, that's where I really shine because I feel more comfortable talking to people about sensitive issues online. When talking to people in real life I generally let people know I'm vegan and tell them why if they ask, and I share a LOT of tasty cruelty free baked goods with people.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#43 Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Attachment 15894
You can't change the world, but you can make a dent!
LL

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#44 Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Thankyou. Thats made me feel alot better
I feel that if people come to me, or at least read what Ive posted in their own time, its 100times more effective than giving someone a leaflet in the street, that theyll most likely throw down after they walk past.
#45 Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Adding to my previous post: through living example, not proselytizing, I converted another person to veg*nism in my first month of being veg*n.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#46 Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Thats excellent...you should be very proud
#47 Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Same reasons i don't have fun, i have horrible anxiety as well as other mental illnesses, i don't even get out and have any fun/do anything social because of it. Also i don't have a car or drive, and have no money so really any "excuse" you can think of right now lol. I hope in the future i can though, just like i hope i don't end up being a bum.
#48 Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Mainly laziness and the fact I'm 14. I don't want to go to a veggie rally and have people look at me and go "Oh, there they go brainwashing their kids again" since I wasn't really brainwashed by anybody. I've brainwashed more people than they have me :P

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#49 Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

because i'm busy and i'm lazy.
#50 Old 06-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I prefer to lead by example

This.

Not everyone is cut out to do the same things.
#51 Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Because images of animal abuse would drive me insane.

People don't take me seriously. I don't have a good look so I wouldn't fit in with the activists.

I'm too tired by the end of my work week. I need to rest on my days off.

I'm a vegan and this is the most I can do. I do applaud those who do more.
#52 Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

You can do a lot of change behind a computer screen, if you post people see it and it makes them think. Then they start to wonder and question what the believe, you have planted a small seed. They will also think they did the change with out being 'converted' without being 'pushed'

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#53 Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont like telling people what they should or shouldnt do (as long as its legal). Doesnt mean I like it. I like the idea of freedom too much.
#54 Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM
mlp
Banned

Animal rescue comes more naturally to me than activism in the form of leafleting, etc.
#55 Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmailbox View Post

I'm busy, in high school, and have non-veg parents who don't get it.

I'd love to do activist work next year with the local humane group to work against the ridiculous New Jersey bear hunt. I live right near the state capital, too, so I feel I should do something. It's just time consuming.

I applaud your interest in stopping the bear hunt, but lets be honest, as long as bears can be percieved as a potential problem, people are going to use that for a reason to hunt them.
So just getting them to outlaw bear hunts is going to be a wasted effort.
What really needs to be done to stop the hunts?
Growth.
The problem is not in most cases that the bears or other animals are coming into human populated areas, the problem is that human populated areas are moving into the areas that bears live. The best way to try and reduce the blood lust for bears, and the justification for those hunts is to fight against the growth in the areas that the bears live.
right now to stop the hunt you are dealing with hunters and people that dont care either way. If you go after the growth you are going after developers, (a much smaller crowd than the hunting crowd) and you will also gain the support of those that enjoy the natural areas that will be destroyed by the growth, not to mention the facts surrounding traffic and schools etc.. that will come from the growth.

So look into finding a way to stop the growth, if that is done, the justification for the hunt is gone and you end up with an easier fight to accomplish what you set out to do.
#56 Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Because i hate animals...... Just kidding. I am a very busy person. Between 3 different sports, 2 jobs, and a kid I don't have much time.
#57 Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacebone View Post

I'm just curious as to why you don't get out there? Is it a case of too many commitments? Money? Fear? Laziness? Illness?

Because I did my part/paid my dues and now it's time for the generations that follow to carry the torch and do their part.

Activism is a worthy pursuit, but it is for the young. You just have more time and energy than us old folks.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#58 Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM

lack of confidence mainly. I would love to give it a go one day though.
#59 Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Activism is a worthy pursuit, but it is for the young. You just have more time and energy than us old folks.

Yeh ok grand-dad, take care now! People who show up to take part in rallies, protests and other forms of activism that I'm involved in usually range from little kids to people in their seventies.

m8itcanw8.com
#60 Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Yeh ok grand-dad, take care now! People who show up to take part in rallies, protests and other forms of activism that I'm involved in usually range from little kids to people in their seventies.

Same here. Actually, the majority of people I do protests, rallies, and the like with are middle-aged or older.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page