Started an animal rights meetup group for my city... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Like the title says, I've started a meetup.com group for animal rights in my city. I've noticed that there seems to be nothing in my community for promoting animal rights and a veg*n diet. If I want to do any kind of activism I have to drive up to Seattle for it, which while it's great and all that it's being promoted in Seattle, it does nothing to change the minds of the people in my community. And I notice that a lot of people tend to wait for someone else to do something, so I said forget it I'll just start something here rather than sit on my hands and wait.

But I don't have any experience of running any sort of group. All I've ever done is animal rescue work and I'm a case manager with the rescue I'm with, but none of what I do with the rescue can really apply to an animal rights group.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to start and what to do? I want to get people out there leafletting and possibly do other activist work in the city. But I don't even know what good locations there would be for leafletting (other than college campuses vegan outreach style), farmers markets maybe? Also what other activism do you participate in other than leafletting to spread the word on animal issues and animal rights?

Any suggestions, advice, tips, etc would be so greatly appreciated. If you wanna talk via PM also that's totally cool too!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's great that you're taking the initiative to do this sort of thing. Rock on!!!!

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww thanks! Have already had several people join and it looks like two of them have some experience, which I'm so thankful for since I'm a total noob.

My blog -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! I salute your efforts!

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#5 Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Almeria-

The first thing I would do is have a "Planning Meeting" and ask people what THEY want to do. Trust me, you will get tons of ideas. If you have a local SPCA or humane society email them and ask they send out a message to their members about your new group.

Also, there is an excellent book I am reading right now for people such as yourself called "Igniting Inspiration: A Persuasion Manual for Visionaries". It explains the evolutionary mental processes of different people. From the very religious, to the "Green" humanist. And how to inspire them to join your cause. I can't recommend it enough!
#6 Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The first thing I would do is have a "Planning Meeting" and ask people what THEY want to do. Trust me, you will get tons of ideas. If you have a local SPCA or humane society email them and ask they send out a message to their members about your mew groups.
#7 Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks yamato! I already have a meet and greet style meetup set for next week to discuss ideas and whatnot. I've also asked members to please suggest any ideas they have. I'm gonna check out that book yonight when I get home.

My blog -
#8 Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I run a Meetup group and our most popular events are veg restaurant dinners and protests. People do not want to leaflet. I have tried and tried but it's mostly a solo activity for me. In fact, even though I consider our group a success, it's so far off the mark from my own vision that I've lately been considering passing the torch.
#9 Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Elaine just mentioned that it's hard to get people involved in focused activities like leafleting and that's probably true in many areas. My personal advice is don't put a disproportionate amount of faith in the idea of an organized group having a better positive impact than you alone. It can be great for socializing and all, but there are many potential instances I can imagine where one person doing very effective activism like leafleting can trump groups of ten or more doing ineffective activism or worse yet doing none because they can't come to a consensus.

One idea I can suggest is to meet up at a restaurant and discuss animal rights issues in the news from the previous week. If you subscribe to even one or two newsletters of any kind you should have enough to discuss. You can then discuss with your junto or think tank how these national or world issues apply to your own home city, and if there are any solutions on a local level to address the topics. For instance I just read a lovely article about how 10% of students at a certain university polled said they wish there were more vegan cafeteria options. This makes for a positive and uplifting piece of news to read at a meeting, and afterwards you can discuss local vegan dining options and whether or not any similar vegan options are available at the local colleges, and whether there's a campaign to get that done.

Tam! RUGH!
#10 Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Elaine, I have noticed that people don't express any interest in leafletting, but that's ok it won't stop me from doing it by myself.

Josh, thanks for the advice/tips! I actually scheduled a meeting for two weeks from now to discuss zoo's at the local vegan restaurant. I've had like no interest in meetups just to meetup, like 0 attendance. But since I scheduled this meeting to discuss a specific topic I have several people reserved to attend and several maybe's. So that's a huge step up. I plan on doing monthly meetups at the vegan restaurant to discuss a topic and i'm thinking about also doing a monthly meetup at a local cafe during a weeknight cause I've noticed some people can't attend weekend stuff either. So basically a meeting twice a month. I also suggested an idea of doing like a monthly or every other month book club where we could choose a book on animal rights and read it and then get together at the end of the month and discuss it. But so far there hasn't been any interest. I might plan a BBQ at the end of August at a local park and see if people are interested in that.

My blog -
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page