Vegan First Aid and Abrasion Care - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Getting back from my recent vacation I went out with a friend and drank like I normally would, but because of a lack enthusiasm and trey-patible vegan dishes at Bonnaroo I got really drunk and apparently tried to do some acrobatics of some sort on some cemented down metal posts.

The resultant wound on my foot reminds me of the time I almost cut the tip of my finger of working in a kitchen one time, and only today has really stopped hurting all of the time (it happened a week ago tonight).

I generally don't get bad injuries and small abrasions and stuff I rarely take care of. In most cases if I think it needs attention I'll go by my mother's house, since she's a nurse she loves when I give her the opportunity to baby me.

[/somewhat pointless backstory]

Looking at the first aid and medical stuff at walgreens (or similar) is quite overwhelming with 100 different kinds of band aids and ointments and such. Whole foods doesn't really offer anything that *specifically* states for cuts and abrasions, and any 'antibiotic' ointment is made with beeswax (for consistency I guess).

For future incidents I was hoping some people could answer "What do you do to take care of somewhat minor cuts and abrasions?". I'd really like to find organic stuffs or grandmother's remedies that could be concocted with organic ingredients. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Ya know I never thought about beeswax being used in first aid products! Just another step in my learning curve, I guess! I would suggest looking for a spray on antibiotic. They are just as good as the ointments, but since they are a spray they probably don't have the wax.

Most cuts, though, you can just keep clean with soap and water and keep it covered. Sometimes I use Hydrogen Peroxide too. I have not seen the cut on your foot, though, so I can't offer any medical advice, other than to have it seen if it develops any signs of infection. Take care!
#3 Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

teatree oil kills germs and stuff. witch hazel is pretty decent for all sorts of things too. then there are things like hydrogen peroxide (mentioned already) epsom salts, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Peroxide is bad, so is alcohol, because they dry out the wound and kill the good bacteria as well as the bad.

A mild soap and water is the best way to wash out a cut. Insofar as a vegan ointment goes -- I have no idea, sorry.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Witch hazel is pretty much some of the most awesome **** ever. Hit up your HFS and see if they have some there (they will). The stuff at drug stores is usually more alcohol than witch hazel so you want to get something purer, but it's great for everything ever that's wrong with you.
#6 Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Merry Hempsters makes some nice vegan first aid balms and salves. About the only sort of scratches I get that don't heal well on their own are cat scratches, and the Merry Hempster Cut and Scrape salve fixes them right up.

They even make tattoo balm.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 06-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised I've never seen the merry hempsters cuts and scrapes as I have always used their li[ balm and would always buy the tattoo stick for an ex.

I saw the witch hazel at the food whole, but didn't get it cause I wasn't sure of the intensity of the stinging sensation, and when I was looking for these products my toe was still jacked up. The toe still looks pretty bad but there is not infection nor anymore pain. It just looks like I cut the tip off 10 days ago. I've been wake-skating the last several days and (luckily) it hasn't gotten infected.

Thanks for the advice
#8 Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

I saw the witch hazel at the food whole, but didn't get it cause I wasn't sure of the intensity of the stinging sensation, and when I was looking for these products my toe was still jacked up. The toe still looks pretty bad but there is not infection nor anymore pain. It just looks like I cut the tip off 10 days ago. I've been wake-skating the last several days and (luckily) it hasn't gotten infected.

I use witch hazel as a face wash and I've never had it sting or burn when putting it on, even if I have like a cut or scrape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page