Fortified B12 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM

I have been vegetarian since around this time last year and am making this transition into a fully vegan diet.

From what I have been reading, B12 cannot be obtained from any plant source (that can be efficiently absorbed by the human body).

The only way a vegan can obtain B12 is through a product fortified with B12, for example soy milk, veggie burger mixes etc.

My question is where does the vitamin B12 come from which is fortified into these products? And is this source of fortification vegan friendly?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#3 Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Ex-*****

The B12 in fortified food is in most cases synthesized by bacteria in a lab.

In addition to fortified foods, you can also obtain B12 from supplements. Personally I would recommend taking supplements because they typically contain much more B12 than what you typically can get from fortified foods. But there is no harm in consuming fortified foods in addition, of course.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

B12, in fortified foods, most commonly appears as cyanocobalamin, which is produced by bacteria. It's in a wide variety of foods, but usually cereals, rice/soy/hemp milks, juices/smoothies, and nutrition bars.

Supplementation is recommended, as absorption from food can be inconsistent. Find a chewable B12 supplement that can be fully dissolved under your tongue. This helps to maximize absorption.

:]
#5 Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eistxist View Post

B12, in fortified foods, most commonly appears as cyanocobalamin, which is produced by bacteria. It's in a wide variety of foods, but usually cereals, rice/soy/hemp milks, juices/smoothies, and nutrition bars.

Supplementation is recommended, as absorption from food can be inconsistent. Find a chewable B12 supplement that can be fully dissolved under your tongue. This helps to maximize absorption.

:]

Would something like this be a good choice? http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...enges/129?at=0

Thanks.
#6 Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That looks good, but I've always heard cyanocobalamin is the best form. But it might just be the most common.

Anyone smarter than I know?
#7 Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 AM

I'm also considering this product: http://www.sportyshealth.com.au/blac...ls-pr-782.html, might end up using this one because its reasonably cheap and available in Aus.
#8 Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a sub-lingual B12. It's supposed to be better absorbed than going through your digestive track. You put a little pill under your tongue and leave it there for a little bit then swallow the remaining vitamin mush.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I use a sub-lingual B12. It's supposed to be better absorbed than going through your digestive track. You put a little pill under your tongue and leave it there for a little bit then swallow the remaining vitamin mush.

What does the sub-lingual type taste like? It doesn't take like any sort of prescription medication does it? I used to be forced to take some sort of sedative sub-lingually as a kid prior to surgery (had a ton of surgeries as a kid) and the taste would make me vomit. Now even as an adult if a pill were to get stuck in my mouth and start dissolving it'd probably make me vomit because I associate that taste with surgery and anesthesia (which also made me really ill). So, I've been afraid to try the B12 sub-lingually cause I'm afraid it'd taste like a prescription pill or something. Infact, I still don't take any B12 supplement, I've been drinking a glass of soymilk every morning to insure that I get some B12 in my daily diet.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

What does the sub-lingual type taste like? It doesn't take like any sort of prescription medication does it?

The brand I buy tastes like candy, seriously. I love taking them!

They are vegetarian as well:

#11 Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

What does the sub-lingual type taste like? It doesn't take like any sort of prescription medication does it? I used to be forced to take some sort of sedative sub-lingually as a kid prior to surgery (had a ton of surgeries as a kid) and the taste would make me vomit. Now even as an adult if a pill were to get stuck in my mouth and start dissolving it'd probably make me vomit because I associate that taste with surgery and anesthesia (which also made me really ill). So, I've been afraid to try the B12 sub-lingually cause I'm afraid it'd taste like a prescription pill or something. Infact, I still don't take any B12 supplement, I've been drinking a glass of soymilk every morning to insure that I get some B12 in my daily diet.

They're not bad, really. I've bought a few different kinds. One brand was all natural flavoring and stuff and actually was really tasty, very mild cherry. The one I have now is stronger tasting, and I find if I swallow the entire gloop at once its actually kind of gross, sort of in a children's tylenol way -- but if I swallow it gradually the taste doesn't bother me at all. I am REALLY sensitive to flavored medicines too. I'll swallow any pill over a liquid or chewable.

#12 Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post

Would something like this be a good choice? http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...enges/129?at=0

Thanks.

I take that one periodically and my B-12 levels are great. Since people are mentioning it, you can use it sublingually too if you want.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#14 Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info Digger and Rabid_Child. I can certainly handle candy flavored stuff and even the gross children's tylenol flavor type stuff too. I'm going to get a bottle and start using them.

My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM

I have noticed that most of the supplements are 5000mcg even though the daily recommended intake is 100mcg, for example this: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...CS=vegane&All=

Should I look for a products that are more around 100mcg or are these others fine?
#16 Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought the ones that Digger showed in his post on page 1 today. They are 500mcg. They also had 2,500mcg but I didn't figure I needed that much everyday. The taste isn't bad either.

My blog -
#17 Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post

Should I look for a products that are more around 100 mcg or are these others fine?

Depends on whether you are deficient or just looking to supplement.

I'm not a nutritionist so keep that in mind, but from what I've researched it appears that oral B12 taken in doses of 500 to 1000 mcg are effective in correcting B12 deficiency even in subjects with absorption problems. Interestingly enough, one study I read found that there was no significant difference between oral and sublingual B12. I bought the sublingual anyway because they were on sale and I like the cherry flavor.

I've got a documented deficiency so I started out at 1000 mcg per day and after a few weeks I reduced that to 500 mcg. Depending on what my next bloodwork shows I may end up just taking it weekly. My doctor said there's no harm in taking this much and up to 2500 mcg is considered safe, but you should really discuss it with your own doctor just to be sure.

If you're not deficient, you only really need a few mcg per day.

Here's that study of sublingual vs oral:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14616423

There's also some good info in the wiki with sources at the bottom of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

Dig
#18 Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

#19 Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine are a massive dose, but I don't take them every day. Just every couple of days or so. I haven't had any deficiency problems.

#20 Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

If we take double doses of B6, will that add up to B12?

!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page