Funny Potluck Moment - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I attended a Vegan potluck over the weekend. My plan had been to bring an incredibly tasty quinoa edamame salad, but I accidentally over toasted the quinoa, and I used too much lemon, so it' wasn't good enough to share, and I couldn't start over because I didn't have backup ingredients, and I was cooking while my son was taking his nap.

Anyway, I dug around the house and eventually decided to make the cholent (stew) from "Veganomicon." It turned out wonderful, as usual, so I packed it up in a crock pot and set off. I get there, and no one wanted to touch it because the Morningstar Farms Griller strips looked too convincingly like beef, and people thought it wasn't Vegan. I eventually had to loudly announce the the stew really was Vegan, not a misunderstanding.

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Hahaha, I had a similar moment with that same product recently! I was making a stir-fry, and my sister-in-law was at the house. She was practically drooling over it, saying how awesome it smelled and everything. Then she looked and said, "Ohh, but look! She's eating beef!" She seemed so happy about this that I just let her go on thinking it was beef. She inevitably asked for a bite, and then she knew, and had a good laugh. But she liked it!
#3 Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Beginner

I have a funny moment. A few years ago, we had friends over for dinner and they brought their teenage son. I made my famous chili (with tvp) served with tortilla chips. Everyone was enjoying it and the boy, who was about 14, kept chowing down and was on his third bowl when the discussion of what was in the chili came up. Everyone thought it was ground turkey and when I corrected them, the boy dropped his spoon and looked at me with such a look of repulsion it was almost funny. He didn't take another bite of the chili he had been seriously enjoying. ha ha.
#5 Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamarie927 View Post

I have a funny moment. A few years ago, we had friends over for dinner and they brought their teenage son. I made my famous chili (with tvp) served with tortilla chips. Everyone was enjoying it and the boy, who was about 14, kept chowing down and was on his third bowl when the discussion of what was in the chili came up. Everyone thought it was ground turkey and when I corrected them, the boy dropped his spoon and looked at me with such a look of repulsion it was almost funny. He didn't take another bite of the chili he had been seriously enjoying. ha ha.

I find it amazing that people are afraid of a vegetable but are not afraid of a dead body on their plates. Too weird for words!
#6 Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Beginner

I agree with you, Amira!!! I've had a few instances such as the op's. I've made vegan foods that people chowed down on and when I announced they were vegan they looked like they were going to throw up and they wouldn't touch it anymore. Are you kidding me??? It just makes no sense to me.
#7 Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegton View Post

I agree with you, Amira!!! I've had a few instances such as the op's. I've made vegan foods that people chowed down on and when I announced they were vegan they looked like they were going to throw up and they wouldn't touch it anymore. Are you kidding me??? It just makes no sense to me.

I guess we just can't tell them it is vegan or vegetarian. But, think back, didn't you eat vegetables before you became veg*n? I know I did and didn't get "sick" from eating them mentally or physically!
#8 Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a not so funny pot luck moment. I went to this potluck where I didn't know most of the people. It was organized by the vegatarian society, but it was definately marked as a vegan potluck...it even specified that there should be no eggs, milk or even honey in any of the food people bring. It was actually a pic nick. We're sitting around on blankets, sampling each other's goodies and talking about our stories of being vegan and stuff like that...you know, the same kind of stuff discussed here. And one of the goodies I was eating were crackers and salsa that was pretty good. The crackers reminded me of the kind I used to buy as an omni, which I was pretty sure weren't vegan...so I investigated...went to the source of the crackers...and sure enough it is that same brand. I think, oh maybe they are vegan after all...I pick up the box, and check the ingredients. The 2nd ingredient is butter!!!

I was furious! *sigh*
#9 Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#10 Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Beginner

[QUOTE=Cedre]I had a not so funny pot luck moment. I went to this potluck where I didn't know most of the people. It was organized by the vegatarian society, but it was definately marked as a vegan potluck...it even specified that there should be no eggs, milk or even honey in any of the food people bring. It was actually a pic nick. We're sitting around on blankets, sampling each other's goodies and talking about our stories of being vegan and stuff like that...you know, the same kind of stuff discussed here. And one of the goodies I was eating were crackers and salsa that was pretty good. The crackers reminded me of the kind I used to buy as an omni, which I was pretty sure weren't vegan...so I investigated...went to the source of the crackers...and sure enough it is that same brand. I think, oh maybe they are vegan after all...I pick up the box, and check the ingredients. The 2nd ingredient is butter!!!

I was furious! *sigh*[/QUOTE

Cedre, don't worry overmuch about it. People can be so thick-headed, and you didn't know you were eating butter. I would call it to the person's attention, though.
#11 Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM

*laugh* All good stories.

I often find myself on the other side of the spectrum from being repused at tofu and such. I find that if something is too much like meat it irks me and I can't really eat it. I'll sit down and chow a block of tofu or some seitan all day, but can't really mess with those steak strips! Ahhh... people are funny.
#12 Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Beginner

I know what you mean, I got some vegan sausages that were so meat-like it was freaky. . .Later, I sliced some and put it on pizza and changed my mind. They taste really good and not really like meat at all.
#13 Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

I had a not so funny pot luck moment. I went to this potluck where I didn't know most of the people. It was organized by the vegatarian society, but it was definately marked as a vegan potluck...it even specified that there should be no eggs, milk or even honey in any of the food people bring. [ ... ] I pick up the box, and check the ingredients. The 2nd ingredient is butter!!!

I've run into the same situation more than once. Or twice. Or three times..... And even when I point it out, people (even the vegan potluck co-ordinators) shrug and say "Oh, geez, I'm not THAT hardcore" or "But there's not that much of it..." Never ceases to amazes me that people on the internet seem much "more vegan" than those I meet in real-life.
#14 Old 05-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Beginner

Maybe the coordinators in that situation don't want to embarrass someone who has accidentally brought something non-vegan. I don't know. In real life, I don't know any vegans at all. I am living in a non-progressive part of the US and it's meat, meat, meat. Not even a good vegan restaurant.
#15 Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I've run into the same situation more than once. Or twice. Or three times..... And even when I point it out, people (even the vegan potluck co-ordinators) shrug and say "Oh, geez, I'm not THAT hardcore" or "But there's not that much of it..." Never ceases to amazes me that people on the internet seem much "more vegan" than those I meet in real-life.

I went veggie when I was in SoCal, and I knew lots of vegetarians and vegans, all just as "hardcore" as the people here. Now I'm in Texas, and I know one vegetarian and one guy who calls himself vegan, but I've watched him eat things with eggs and milk and lard. He's a vegan only when it's something "obvious" (like mayo isn't obvious!?). And I joined the vegan meetup group a little while ago ... I'm pretty sure half of them aren't even vegetarian. WTF.
#16 Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

most of my RL vegan friends are actually more hardcore than me. Though I have met a few, like the one I mentioned where it seems like they either don't know what vegan means and they just like calling themselves that or they just don't care. When I first went vegan, a friend from work said "oh I should introduce you to so-and-so who works here who is vegan". I was so excited to meet her, because she would have been the first RL vegan I'd met at that time. We discussed lots of stuff and then a couple of days later at a work function where there was coffee and muffins provided from an outside source, she helped herself to a muffin without batting an eyelash. I asked her if the muffins were vegan, and she said that the egg content is so little that it hardly counts! Not exactly a good role model for a fresh out of water vegan!
#17 Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM

I have a funny story too! Over the period of about one week I kept noticing my vegan cheese slices, ya know the ones wrapped in plastic that you put on a sandwich, I noticed that they were slowly going missing. One day I walk into the kitchen and find my brother making a bologna sandwich, and putting MY VEGAN cheese on it. I just smiled and oh so sweetly told him that the cheese he was and had been eating for the past week was vegan. He gave me a look like I had grown a second head and practically ran back to the fridge to get the regular cheese that everyone else eats, Talking crap the whole time about my cheese saying "it tasted like crap and he would never eat that". I just smiled and told him that he obviously likes it since he had been eating almost everyday for the past week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page