Fruit Fly infestation in kitchen! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Please help. My kitchen has been over run by fruit flys and I am looking for a humane way to make them not be there anymore. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

If you mean humane like trap and release programs, I don't think such a think exists for fruit flies. The only way I've been able to get rid of them was to put about 1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a glass, put a dot of dishsoap in the middle of the vinegar, cover the top with plastic wrap and punch a bunch of small holes in it. The flies go in for the vinegar and can't get back out and drown in the vinegar.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 05-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's one suggestion:

http://www.discovery.com/area/skinny...8/skinny1.html

You reach for the peaches you brought home yesterday and spots swim before your eyes as fruit flies swarm up from the bowl. You stare hard at a peach, but see no evidence of maggoty teenagers wriggling forth from its flesh to hatch and take wing. Where'd the little buggers come from? ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

get rid of the fruit? no food for flies = no more flies.

you could also try sucking them up in a dustbuster set on low?
#5 Old 05-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Give peas a chance

I've only had a problem twice, but my experience is that if I take away all the possible food sources, they die or go away within a day or two.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Yeah, the first thing that I did was to remove all of the food sources and then they just hovered around the sink which does not drain very well. I guess that step 2 will be to fix the drain and then give it time. Thanks for the tips. I definately will not be killing any of them intentionally. The kitchen window is open now so hopefully they will smell the compost piles and head out there instead.
#7 Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont understand the whole "take all the food sources away"--i always have fruit ripening on my counters! the apple cider vinegar and drop of dishsopa works well for me tho.
#8 Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Maybe some of you just don't get that I don't want to KILL them with vinegar or anything else?
#9 Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Scafe View Post

Maybe some of you just don't get that I don't want to KILL them with vinegar or anything else?

no--i think most of us get that. we just dont know another way and fruit fly infestation doesnt fly in the kitchen.
#10 Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Thanks, but I was asking if anyone knew of a HUMANE method of making the little guys not be there any more. Perhaps if I requested a way to kill them you would tell me of a humane solution? PEACE
#11 Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Use a tall drinking glass with a little bit of wine or beer in it instead of vinegar, don't add dish soap, and cover the top with plastic wrap pulled tight with a few fork or toothpick pricks in it. Flies will get in but few will be able to get out. A few will die in the wine/beer, but the vast majority will stay above it. (Heck, the ones in the wine may be the ones that died naturally due to the short life span.) Then you can take it outside and let them go, usually once or twice a day. Also, don't leave the window open; I've found that more get inside than out that way, even if there's better food outside. If you've got fruitflies mating around your sink, other fruitflies will prefer doing that instead of finding food outside; plus the ones you let out could find their way back in.
#12 Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks Erynn for understanding what this post is about.
#13 Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Scafe View Post

Thanks, but I was asking if anyone knew of a HUMANE method of making the little guys not be there any more. Perhaps if I requested a way to kill them you would tell me of a humane solution? PEACE

someone on here posted a way that the fruit flies could leave--i dont know what thread to direct you to for that. i am fairly certain that it involved the apple cider vinegar but they could escape. maybe search for fruit fly stuff on vb. i DO appreciate your thoughts here as i dont like to kill things.!!! good luck!
#14 Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Fruit flies can live/breed in drains, so yes, beware!
#15 Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

put the plug in the sink.
#16 Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Put a sign up that says "attention fruitflies: please don't eat my food. It will make me very sick and I'll have to kill you in return which I do not want to do." Attach this sign to your fridge and watch your fly problem disappear.*

*Based on an actual story told at a John and Ocean Robbins lecture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page