Slowly approaching vegan goal date... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very goal-oriented and motivated by dates. I kept telling myself that I wanted to be completely vegan by June 2009. So far, I have eliminated all the obvious foods/drinks(milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, honey, etc). I am adjusting to not using these products when I bake or cook homemade food. The problem I am having is with these products being "hidden" in everything. I have found multiple lists of ingredients to avoid, but I find it all extremely overwhelming. I don't know how to make sure that I'm not eating anything that I should not be eating. I am experiencing extreme anxiety when I go shopping. I have only been buying things that have simple ingredients(fresh fruits, veggies, rice, beans, tofu, tempeh, etc). I really need to expand my diet a little more...how did you make the switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

those huge label lists are a bit scary if you try and read and memorise the whole thing. most of the words on them you might never see. what i do is when i read through a label i look for words that i don't know, and find out what they mean. try and do like you are, and buy things that aren't full of mysterious chemically junk. simple is often good- not least cos most of us don't need food thats made of strange cryptic things brewed up in a science lab if there is something made of basic healthy stuff instead.

after a while of label reading you start to identify safe products that taste nice, and stick with them- that way you just give the label a quick glance, anything new and weird pops out, and you're not doing the same level of scrutinising that you were before- just kinda like when you went veggie.
#3 Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm really trying to make ONE alphabetical list that I can take to the grocery store...not matter how long it is. This is really a big process to go through, but I know it will be soo worth it. I am just worried that I won't make my "deadline"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you are making this harder than it needs to be, to be perfectly honest. When you are first considering a product, look at the allergen statement at the bottom of the ingredients ("Contains" part). Right away, if it says eggs, dairy, or milk products, you can rule the product out fairly quickly.

If none of those are mentioned, go ahead and read through the ingredients. The main ones you need to look out for: D3, honey, milk, eggs, glycerin, mono and diglycerides, casein, lactic acid, stearic acid (or any derivative of stearic), and l-cysteine (usually a bread conditioner). Natural flavors can be questionable as well, but I tend to give a little more leeway for those when I "know" the company. If you are ever scrutinizing a label and cannot decide whether to buy it or not, call the company and ask! That's what the little number on the side of the box is for.

Like Jen said, though, stick to more simple products. You don't need any of the foods that have 20+ ingredients. The main packaged foods I buy are food bars, cereal, and bread, and for those days I can't cook, I keep some Amy's soup or packaged Near East rice on hand.

Also, read the label to the best of your ability, and if it seems alright, it should be fine. Don't stress about it too much or you will discourage yourself from staying vegan. It is also harder in the beginning as you learn which products are suitable and which ones are not, so hang in there!
#5 Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for the reassurance. I am going to start incorporating as many vegan foods as possible into my diet next time I go grocery shopping. Hopefully by June, I will have things squared away.
#6 Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Update: I am now 99% vegan in diet(I am probably missing some things, but they are unintentional slip-ups probably due to lack of knowledge). I am not nearly as stressed anymore though. As my deoderant, lotion, toothpaste, cleaning products, etc are emptied, I will be replacing them with vegan products. I bought new pots/ pans to prevent contamination of my gram's meat. Also, rearranged the kitchen so her products aren't near mine. I am also starting to take more steps towards becoming an AR activist. Thank you for your support! I may need it in the upcoming weeks...
#7 Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

That's great! I'm glad to hear it.

Sometimes things can be a little stressful in the beginning, but it definitely gets easier over time!
#8 Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

Update: I am now 99% vegan in diet(I am probably missing some things, but they are unintentional slip-ups probably due to lack of knowledge). I am not nearly as stressed anymore though. As my deoderant, lotion, toothpaste, cleaning products, etc are emptied, I will be replacing them with vegan products. I bought new pots/ pans to prevent contamination of my gram's meat. Also, rearranged the kitchen so her products aren't near mine. I am also starting to take more steps towards becoming an AR activist. Thank you for your support! I may need it in the upcoming weeks...

That's awesome! It does get easier. It's so worth it for your health, the lives of the animals you're trying to help....it's win-win. Good luck on the steps toward being an AR activist.
#9 Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

^^Thank you!

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I'm hoping it will be a quick answer:

Are cleaning products, toothpaste, hair products, etc vegan if they say, "does not test on animals" or is it the ingredients themselves that are not vegan. *confused* If so, which ingredients should I look out for?
#10 Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

They should be free from animal testing and animal ingredients to be truly vegan, although some people might argue that the lack of animal ingredients makes them vegan regardless of the animal testing issue (and I would argue that those people are wrong since veganism is a lifestyle that is cruelty-free).

The list is huge, but some common things you're going to need to look out for are beeswax, honey, lanolin and collagen, to name a few. It's easiest to get a vegan brand (look in health food stores), but there are plenty of non-vegan brands that make accidentally vegan toiletries, hair products, cleaning products, etc.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#11 Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok thank you! I wasn't sure if it was like food(with animal products)
#12 Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome.

If you're not using natural/organic brands, you might come across some weird ingredients that aren't going to be obviously animal derived. Google is going to be your friend there.

Sticking to the simplest ingredients possible is the easiest way to make sure products are vegan, since you can go through the list without having to decipher complex sounding ingredients. That's what I try to do, but sometimes you can't find a natural alternative and need to look some things up.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page