Transitioning - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Due to a display of my maturity , I have been granted permission by my parents to try veganism starting at one day per week. I'm allowed, if all goes well, to increase the number of days as long as I'm eating healthily. So now you'll be seeing a lot more of me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

wel done you! 1 day a week sounds like a very sensible start point.
#3 Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

yay! congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#5 Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great that your parents are being so supportive. I know it's only one day a week, but it is definately better than nothing. I'm also impressed they are concerned you are eating healthy. Maybe to help with their concerns you could do some research into a healthy vegan diet to show that you know your stuff. I'm sure it would put their mind at ease and help them realise you are being serious about it. Also cook a vegan meal once a week for the whole family to get them eating well too and bring them into it a bit.
#6 Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Great! Your parents are being very sensible and supportive - and perhaps you can do the cooking on your vegan day, and cook for them as well, so they get to see how good vegan food can be.

You are lucky to have supportive parents, my children, who have been bought up as vegetarians, spent their entire school life being the envy of several school friends, whose parents absolutely refused to let their child eat vegetarian food.
#7 Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley View Post

That's great that your parents are being so supportive. I know it's only one day a week, but it is definately better than nothing. I'm also impressed they are concerned you are eating healthy. Maybe to help with their concerns you could do some research into a healthy vegan diet to show that you know your stuff. I'm sure it would put their mind at ease and help them realise you are being serious about it. Also cook a vegan meal once a week for the whole family to get them eating well too and bring them into it a bit.

They let me become vegetarian fairly easily. I think they are more concerned that I won't turn to junk food just to make calories. MY dad, though I don't think he likes to admit, was pleased with the challenge, he loves to cook, you see. It was actually their idea to let me.

I think the reason they did was to make sure I wasn't going to kill myself before I jumped straight in.
#8 Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like a plan! Hey, do you play the bass?
#9 Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

yay that's great
#10 Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

That's a great transition way! Perhaps you can buy your dad a vegan cookbook for b-day/fathers-day/earth-day? I highly recommend Veganomicon or Vegan with a vengence. Or for a whimiscal gift try "Vegan cupcakes take over the World". Great recipes that will make your parents want to eat vegan more than just one day a week!
#11 Old 04-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for you!

I'd second the recommendation of the Veganomicon (or Vegan with a Vengeance), but I'm not sure if it'd be a good b-day/father's day gift (sounds a little bit like Homer buying Marge a bowling ball ) It might be better to buy it for yourself and let your dad use it if he wants to.

I also agree with Coley about trying to cook for them sometimes. It'll probably go a long way towards convincing them that you're serious. And even if your dad doesn't mind doing all the cooking, it's still good for you to get some practice (so that it's not such a rude awakening when you move out on your own).

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#12 Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Why do you need your parent's permission, even if you are a minor you could buy your own food couldn't you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page