feeling like crap and having weird cravings! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a vegan for a year, and I've only felt like this once, at the begining of when I went vegan. I feel like I have absolutely no energy what so ever. I take B12 suplements...so it can't be that. I mean I am so tired, it's a chore to breath! It might be iron deficiency, but I won't know that for sure, unless I get it checked...which I should do that. Note be, I had a migraine a couple of days ago, and I wasn't able to eat afterwards...and I still feel nautious a bit so everytime I want to eat, it still makes me feel sick. So hey, it might be even that.

But what is bothering me the most is that I can't stop thinking about yogurt. I know my body is usually pretty intuitive in what it's lacking, but what can be in yogurt that my body could be lacking? calcium?? Even if that's the case, lack of calcium wouldn't make one so tired! So what do you think could be in yogurt that my body is needing??

Please please help...because I don't know if I have the energy to fend off the nagging of my surroundings.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Are you getting enough Vitamin D? I know that can put you out of it and yogurt is fortified with it. You'll find anything you would've had in dairy yogurt in these things, and they're really tasty IMO, I just discovered them...

http://www.turtlemountain.com/produc...ut_yogurt.html

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/yogurt.html
#3 Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Are you getting plenty of exercise? That is important for energy. If you are not already exercising you might check with a doctor first to get some blood work done to make sure nothing is wrong that is causing you to be tired. Fresh air and sunshine (just a little for vitamin D) can help too.

It very well could be a deficiency in some type of supplement as well. I feel for you. I have had some fatigue issues that I am working on myself and I know in the past that staying on a regular workout routine does do wonders for me. I hope you start feeling better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys. It may be the vitamin D that you both mentioned. I am going to see my doc and ask him about that. He's actually very supportive of my vegan diet, which is great! I also think it may have also been because I wasn't eating anything due to the nausea...and like veg mom said lack of exercise. You were right, I hadn't gone to the gym the past week because of that silly migraine.

Today, I forced myself to go, and did a relaxed cardio session, and I had a good breakfast, and I feel a lot better. I also took some vitamin D. And hey, no more cravings for yogurt. Thank you both!

Btw, Luise I called around and none of the grocery stores here carry that coconut milk yogurt...but I put in a product request, so I am very excited and hope they import it in for me! It sounds delicious!!
#5 Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

do you take magnesium or get a lot in your diet?

if you have migraines this is a very important factor, also magnesium helps with depression and stress.
#6 Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Is there any possible way you could be pregnant????

<----- has too many kids.... lol ..so if I feel crappy, it's almost always my first thought.
#7 Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Try taking some probiotics (the good bacteria that yogurt is rich of). You can get them in capsules (it's important to store those in the fridge) or check for soy/coconut yogurts that have been cultured with them. They really helped me a lot.
#8 Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

really really hope I am not pregnant! Lol!

What would have magnesium? No, I don't take it as a suplement...and I just looked at my soy milk and it doesn't look like it's fortified with magnesium.

Hmm, I just googled and I see that pumpkin seeds are great source for that, so I'll bulk up on that and have it as snacks.

And I didn't know you could buy probiotics as capsules. Do you take them as capsules? Have you had good results taking it as a supplement? Unfortunately, I can't stand soy yogurt! I think that would be great for me. It helps with digestion, right?
#9 Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

DEF try that coconut milk yogurt!! it is sooo good, esp the strawberry!

the migraine could totally still be affecting you...i had several back to back this fall and couldnt eat and lost alot of weight..quickly!

i agree w/ the vit D supplements and the probiotics...take them as they are packaged, dont open a capsule. there are veg caps out there.

they work for me well. soy (or other) yogurt still doesnt have as much probiotics as u can get via supplements.

also, make sure u are eating & drinking enough. allergies could be affecting u too. sleep if you need to!! feel better!
#10 Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Give peas a chance

Are you getting enough B1, B5 and B6?

Yogurt is an ample source for B5, so maybe that is what is causing the craving.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#11 Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Acidophilus! It's kind of expensive in pill form though.

I agree with exercise completely, but also have you been getting regular sleep?
#12 Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Impeach the gangster

Besides B-12, I find I need a couple of other supplements as well: calcium, which includes vitamin D, and a mixture of digestive enzymes under the name, Peaceful Digestion by Veg Life. (I was going to list the ingredients, but my Aunt Helen borrowed my magnifying lens, and i can't read the fine print on the bottle. It's good though and helps me assimilate the nourishment.) We're all different, but the enzymes seem to be important.

I've been vegan for ten-years and still go through periods of listlessness and what seems like physical apathy, but more and more I'm realizing these feelings are about old memories and have nothing to do with my actual physical needs. Each time it happens, once it passes, I find myself healthier, physically stronger than I was. Hang in there!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#13 Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you guys for all your help.

I do feel a lot better. I think it was a combination of the migriane, not eating well (due to the migraine) and not exercising (again due to the migraine) for a whole week. That can have a toll on your body and my body crashed.

I didn't know you could buy probiotics on it's own...so I've gone and done that...bought a vegan one, and am taking a couple of capsules a day and am in hopes that it will help with my digestion...will also be going to see my Dr. end of the week and see where that goes.

I also didn't know there were the lower B vitamins in yogurt. Hmmm, really? B6 even? Hmm, and that's the B vitamin that controls stress too, right? I might want to get a B complex and add that to my supplements.

Capstan, I am glad to know I am not the only one. I do feel 100% better than last week. It's unbelievable to think that the thought of having yogurt did cross my mind last week when I was dying of physical exhastion. I know, I am ashamed to admit it. But for that milisecond, I thought of buying a container of yogurt and to heck with it all. And then I came to my senses, and thought that I'd actually rather die than eat a container of yogurt. LOL! You are right that by hanging in there, I feel healthier and stronger today!

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page