Help being vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I am already a vegetarian, but I would like to become vegan...like...NOW. Haha. The biggest problem I will have is telling my parents, as they will most likely tell me, A. Its too expensive. or B. I won't get enough protein. So any help, especially on the expense part, like maybe a list of foods that aren't in the vegan section, that are already vegan? Websites would be great, I've been on GoVeg.com all day reading and preparing my argument for my parents. Even though I'm 18, and I will be able to pay for some of my vegan goodies starting in June, when I start my job.

Thanks tons, and any words of wisdom from an experienced vegan would be wonderful!

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd arm yourself with lots of info, which you already seem to be doing.

This is a good site too.:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/index.html

As to the expense, vegan diets don't have to be expensive at all. Mock meats can be pricey, but if you don't eat too many of those, you'll be fine. Tofu, tempeh, fruit, veggies, grains, beans and legumes are all pretty cheap.

Milk substitutes cost a bit, but if you aren't guzzling tons of it, a half gallon should last you awhile.

If this is something you really want to do, try to convey to your parents just how important this is to you. Hopefully they'll agree.

Let me know how it goes.
#3 Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Protein doesn’t have to be a problem, but Vitamin B-12 will be. The body stores B-12 in the liver, but you’re going vegan at a rather young age and probably don’t have a large reserve built up yet. You may have heard that some sea vegetables have vitamin B-12, but they don’t- they have something that gives a false positive result for some vitamin B-12 tests, but which your body can’t use.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

With b-12 get soy products and others that are fortified with it. You should also get a good veggie multivitamin that has b-12. those can help.

The Big Bad.
#5 Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom had a big problem with it too at first, so I just told her too bad, I'll eat what I like, she can't force feed me. Becoming Vegan is a great book, it has information on every aspect of veganism concerning dietary health, where to get nutrients from, etc. The most economical vegan dishes I can think of are soups and chili, if you make a huge pot of them you can eat it all week, or freeze it in portions and save it for longer. Good luck
#6 Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I find really the vegan foods I get that are maybe more pricey is milk (which I don't think I've ever gotten a soy/rice milk for over $3, and I often get the store brand soy milk) and my bread, you might have better luck w/your bread where you're located though. I've only found one vegan kind around here, so if I want bread I'm stuck paying over $3 a loaf. Meat substitutes are fairly inexpensive. There are more pricey ones, but you can wait to try those until you start your job.

As said, fruits and veggies are pretty inexpensive, beans, rice, granola bars, peanut butter, nuts...etc...

I know on PETAs site they have a list, but I guess it turns out not everything on there is vegan, so you'd still have to read labels.

Good luck!
#7 Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I really don't eat much bread anyways. And I looked at the PETA list, and it said the things on the list are 99% vegan, but I'm taking it with me to the grocery and reading labels. What are your guys favorite vegan milks for cereal? The only time I ever use milk is on my cereal in the mornings, so I prob won't use much. And I'm headed to the library tomorrow, so I'll see if they have Becoming Vegan.
#8 Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Silk soy milk a lot, but I also used to get Rice Dream rice milk.
#9 Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaIsDeprived View Post

I like Silk soy milk a lot, but I also used to get Rice Dream rice milk.

i agree. Silk soy milk is good. if you like it sweeter, go for vanilla. Try and get Organic soy milk. If it's not organic, it's genetically modified. But if you're into modification, have at...

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

For milks I get Silk and Rice Dream, vanilla. There's a cheap brand here that I get, but I don't remember what it is. I usually only use soy milk in cereal or if I have cookies. I get plain for when I make potato soup and stuff though.
#11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh I forgot to mention I always get the enriched Rice Dream, it has B12 and some other good things.
#12 Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

i agree. Silk soy milk is good. if you like it sweeter, go for vanilla. Try and get Organic soy milk. If it's not organic, it's genetically modified. But if you're into modification, have at...

EEW thats gross! I'll make a note of that. Get Organic....

And I'm headed to my nutritionist in a few minutes, shes going to get me a vegan supplement and help me with my grocery list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaIsDeprived View Post

Oooh I forgot to mention I always get the enriched Rice Dream, it has B12 and some other good things.

Sweet! How much B12 do you need daily??? I swear the cereal I just ate had some.
#13 Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

you need very little b12 because we can store it and use it for years. if you are eating cereal it probably has b12 already, this is more than enough. also it is good to know that you can't get too much b12 so don't worry if your vegan supplement has it too (it most likely does), its all good.

about the comment about you not having much b12 stored because your 18 is crazy. you have been storing b12 (hopefully you don't have absorption issues which age doesn't matter anyway) for 18 years, thats a long time. the only issues with age and b12 storage exist with infants/toddlers and the elderly.
#14 Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Err... I completely forget how much you need daily, but its a micronutrient, so not very much. But still, you can't get it from any vegan foods, so it's good to supplement. There's B12 vitamins, and lots of foods its added to as well (cereals, non-dairy milks, nutritional yeast), just check the label. I believe it'll be listed as cobalamin? If anyone who actually knows would like to correct me...? haha
#15 Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

you need very little b12 because we can store it and use it for years. if you are eating cereal it probably has b12 already, this is more than enough. also it is good to know that you can't get too much b12 so don't worry if your vegan supplement has it too (it most likely does), its all good.

about the comment about you not having much b12 stored because your 18 is crazy. you have been storing b12 (hopefully you don't have absorption issues which age doesn't matter anyway) for 18 years, thats a long time. the only issues with age and b12 storage exist with infants/toddlers and the elderly.

Well, maybe Ilurvebroccoli is eating B-12 fortified foods, or maybe they're not. I'm not a nutritionist but I figured growing people would have used a lot of their nutrients rather than store them. Besides, as you mention, B-12 apparently isn't toxic in comparatively large amounts the way fat-soluble vitamins like A and D or minerals like Iron can be- so why not play it safe?

I couldn't help noticing in ILB's other thread (about the nutritionist saying veganism was a bad idea), the nutritionist didn't say anything about B-12; they just said to watch out for:

Quote:
Protein- yeah, we all hear that. She said for my age, height, and activeness I need 65g of protein at least a day.

L- Carnitine- she said its impossible to get on a vegan diet, and without it my depression will worsen

Omega Fatty Acids

Iron

Calcium

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#16 Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always thought B-12 was necessary tho, I mean, is it?
#17 Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM

My parents thought I was carazy when I became Vegan but they had to deal lol. I am actually spending far less on food because I buy produce from local stands that are actually cheaper than WalMart. And there are a lot of foods that are staples of a meat eaters diet that are actually vegan, check out this web site its pretty neat! http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/
#18 Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

B-12 is necessary, yes. The thing is, we don;t need much of it: the nutrition guidelines say we only need a few millionths of a gram a day, and there are 454 grams in a pound, so that gives you an idea how little we need.

B-12 is made by soil bacteria. Some think that vegans in the older days used to get what they needed from traces of dirt on some vegetables. Nowadays it would be hard to do that with modern sanitation measures- but we now have the technology to make B-12 supplements. It's nice how that works out!

#19 Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyVegan View Post

My parents thought I was carazy when I became Vegan but they had to deal lol. I am actually spending far less on food because I buy produce from local stands that are actually cheaper than WalMart. And there are a lot of foods that are staples of a meat eaters diet that are actually vegan, check out this web site its pretty neat! http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

The things on that website are not all Vegan. Check the ingredients. It says on the bottom the list is 99% vegan
#20 Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 PM

It's not impossible to get L-Carnitine from a vegan diet. Sources besides meat/dairy include: "nuts and seeds (e.g., pumpkin, sunflower, sesame), legumes or pulses (beans, peas, lentils, peanuts), vegetables (artichokes, asparagus, beet greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, collard greens, garlic, mustard greens, okra, parsley, kale), fruits (apricots, bananas), cereals (buckwheat, corn, millet, oatmeal, rice bran, rye, whole wheat, wheat bran, wheat germ) and other 'health' foods (bee pollen, brewer's yeast, carob)."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page