sugar in packaged foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 AM

I am new at eatting vegan and it has been wonderfual so far ,but the biggest issue i have is detemining if an ingredient in something says"sugar" how do i know if the process includes char to whiten it or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably the only way to truly know is to email the company directly and ask. They probably get their sugar from somewhere else though, so it would be whoever their supplier is that would probably actually know the answer to your question.

Unless the product is specifically labeled "Vegan."-- In that case, I would think it should be free of bone char.

I find sugar to be something really hard to identify which does or doesn't have bone char, but I personally don't let it bother me too much...
#3 Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM

thanks for your advice...that is the one thing that has bothered me...i do not want to eat any animal by products ,so if i don't know for sure i just avoid that food item all together til i can find out. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Or maybe make your own sweets with sugar that you know is safe? Cupcakes (unfrosted) and cookies freeze well.
#5 Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 AM

i was away from home and was going to pick up some 100% whole wheat bread and it had sugar in it...the only one i have found other than making my self seems to be ezekial 4:9 bread at health store...are there any others you know of? and thanks for the cupcake idea,i can use it for kids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page