Being Vegan in Peace Corps? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM

I am considering going into the Peace Corps when I graduate from college, which will be a year from this May. I am currently in the "becoming vegan" stage, and am almost there. Would it be possible to be vegan in the Peace Corps, or should I just throw that idea out before I even get my hopes up?

Are there any vegans out there who have experience in the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend who was vegetarian and when joining up, knew that due to lack of access to alternatives from ANY source as well as the cultural goals of the program, she would have to stop being vegetarian. She now eats fish and sea creatures.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM

I too am interested in joining the peacecorps. When I asked a recruiter about being vegetarian, she said it can usually be accommodated, but that it also depends on where you are stationed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah, from what I've read about the peace corps, it's very difficult and near impossible to maintain a strict diet...
#5 Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I would imagine being vegetarian is relatively doable, depending on where you choose to go. Being vegan however I think could be potentially really hard, if not impossible.
#6 Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldnt join the PC, but that's just me.

From my understanding, it all depends on your location at where you're stationed. Sometimes its easy to have access to foods you'll be able to cook for yourself. But if you're traveling or in active duty, it'll be tough.
#7 Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM

I have thought a lot about that as well because I would like to join the Peace Corps post university.

I think (as many others have said) it depends on a lot of factors. I think that in many places some dairy products that we eat aren't even integrated into the diet. You can also consider that in many places the animals are treated better. Your milk wont be coming from a cow being treated with hormones and your eggs wont be coming from chickens in a tiny cage.

The meat..that is a different story. I had a vegetarian friend who did opt to eat chicken and started to eat it before hand so that her body was ready for it...but I feel like I remember her telling me that she was able to maintain her vegetarian diet fairly well. (She was in Central America.)

On the flip side...I had a friend in Africa who (for a Christmas celebration) was sat down to watch the slaughtering of a cow. So ask your recruiter about things/customs in the places you may end up in.

You could also contact Humboldt State University. They have a Peace Corps program (I am not sure what they call it.) But Humboldt has a large vegan population (from what I have heard.) Maybe someone there may have some more insight on the issue.

Keep us posted. I would love to know whatever you find out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page