"Natural flavors" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
SPJ
Beginner

Any sure fire way of finding out what "natural flavors" are Vegan and which ones aren't. I love certain flavors of wild harvest organic oatmeal but I sometimes see natural flavors in the ingridients. Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think food companies are required to give their sources of "natural flavors". You can try and e-mail them. A lot of times, they'll use whatever is cheapest at the time... plant or animal derived. Boo....
#3 Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM

If the natural flavors contain one the "common allergens" regulated by law, then they are required to be on the label, in both the US and the UK. That is, if there's some weird egg derivative, it has to say "contains egg" or something like that, on the packaging.

Meat, honey, gelatin, all sorts of non-veg/vegan things aren't legislated though. I think Mary's right in saying that most of the time, you have to contact the company. Sometimes you may get lucky with Google, however, and find that someone else has already done the legwork for you.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I hate looking at the ingredients on something and everything is safe...then I see 'Natural Flavors'. It kills my mood, because I don't know if that granola bar has pig in it or if that fruit snack has cow, or if that sauce has fish. Makes me angry.

But, yeah, the only way to know for sure is to call them up. And sometimes the people are banned from saying what the 'natural flavor' is. So they say, "Sorry, can't tell you." Then you say can you at least tell me if there is an animal product in there, then if someone doesn't know what gelatin is or DOESN'T THINK FISH IS AN ANIMAL , you're given false information then feel betrayed that they told you one thing when it's really the other.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#5 Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

This might help

http://www.caringconsumer.com/resour...ients_list.asp

But if it just says "natural flavour" then i suppose you'll have to call the company.
#6 Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeeplove View Post

This might help

http://www.caringconsumer.com/resour...ients_list.asp

But if it just says "natural flavour" then i suppose you'll have to call the company.

thats what I do just to be safe
#7 Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

thats what I do just to be safe

very wise
#8 Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM

I usually google it and you can almost always, especially with popular brands, get it figured out
#9 Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM

I stay away from things that says Natural Flavors unless it is specifically marked as vegan. Then again I stay away from most processed foods if I can help myself. But, if you aren't lazy like myself everyone else is right, just contact the companies. I am very lazy...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page