Vegan bread at the grocery store? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for widely available sliced sandwich bread that's vegan. It seems like it's getting harder to find, especially since I've moved to a smaller town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

For commercial brands... Weber is the closest bet; its similar to Wonder Bread.
#3 Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I only eat whole wheat, and I got really, really fed up with reading the ingredients on 10 different brands only to see honey as the last ingredient in each of them. My bf actually stumbled onto a vegan brand by accident: Sara Lee! That's pretty darned easy to find most places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I typically eat white bread, and have no problem finding commercial brands that are vegan. Buns it's trickier. Sometimes I've been stumped at what to do with individual brands that contain glycerides of unknown origin. Sometimes I eat them, depending on what's available, sometimes I won't.
#5 Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

freihoffer 100% whole wheat is vegan.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for widely available sliced sandwich bread that's vegan. It seems like it's getting harder to find, especially since I've moved to a smaller town.

Hovis Best of Both. Love it.

altho I normally bake my own but keep this in freezer as back up.
#7 Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I just checked my Sara Lee Hearty Oat bread. It looks like it is vegan.
#8 Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Agreed about Sara Lee, some of the products are vegan.
#9 Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

The ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Salt, Cultured Wheat Starch, Soy Flour, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate

The monocalcium phosphate and sugar are questionable, but as far as commercial breads go, it will probably be hard to find one that is closer to being vegan than this.
#10 Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eistxist View Post

The ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Salt, Cultured Wheat Starch, Soy Flour, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate

The monocalcium phosphate and sugar are questionable, but as far as commercial breads go, it will probably be hard to find one that is closer to being vegan than this.

I always buy arnold if I buy store bought bread.
#11 Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep! That's the one we buy as well. Arnold actually has a few products that are vegan. I do not think any Sara Lee I have looked at has been vegan. This may be a regional thing I guess.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#12 Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowriver View Post

I only eat whole wheat, and I got really, really fed up with reading the ingredients on 10 different brands only to see honey as the last ingredient in each of them. My bf actually stumbled onto a vegan brand by accident: Sara Lee! That's pretty darned easy to find most places.

Wow...Sara Lee is vegan? That's awsome!

Erp..well, it must be regional. *reads other posts*
#13 Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Veront Bread company has some vegan breads in the line. I do know the 100 perecen whole wheat has honey so I get the No Sodium Wheat and it has all natural ingredients and I never have to guess
#14 Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowriver View Post

Thats me too...I like the Sara Lee one for store-bought...but my Fiancees Homemade Wheat bread is my fave
#15 Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have a list of brands to look for when I go to the store.
#16 Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eistxist View Post

I was gonna mention this cause it's what I get...either this or Ezekiel 5:9

Also Sarah Lee gives money to Israel

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#17 Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have a list of brands to look for when I go to the store.

Look at what's made in your store's deli section, too. Sometimes the "unbranded" store items are free of dairy/eggs/honey/HFCS and the price for a 1lb. loaf is comparable to a national brand. Also, baked that day.

Keep on freepin' on

#18 Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM

I definitely agree with Arnold brand or Ezekial bread (sprouted grain bread).

You can also check your store's deli section as sorrowthepig stated. I get almost all of my bread from that area and it tends to be tasting, have no HFCS, and is vegan
#19 Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Do you have Silver Hills bread? I'm not sure if it's only a Canadian thing or not. Anyways, if you have it I am pretty sure that most of their stuff is vegan.
#20 Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Dont worry, just eat it you'll still be vegan.....

thats sarcasm by the way

the problem I find with store bakery bread is that most contain l-cysteine!
#21 Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have found NO bakery bread that is vegan in the 2 stores I shop. As PBG said l-cystine is in virtually all of it.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#22 Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Am I the only person here who just eats Wonderbread, or do all y'all have to have to eat breads that one has to saw through with a large blade a.k.a. Ezekiel bread?

Just kidding, just kidding.
#23 Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not think Wonderbread is vegan....

#24 Old 02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think wonder bread is like one molecule away from plastic or was that parkay? and has some questionable ingredients:

Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

have the items I have bolded been sourced?
#25 Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy French bread from a deli because otherwise I can't find any brands that are vegan, well that and its absolutely delicious ^_^ I'm going to make my own bread eventually, I'm just a tad bit too lazy.
#26 Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I think wonder bread is like one molecule away from plastic or was that parkay? and has some questionable ingredients:

Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

have the items I have bolded been sourced?

I was under the impression Wonderbread (white bread) was vegan from posts I have read here. I will contact them and find out.
#27 Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Email sent. I know Wonder Bread was once included in PETA's list of 'Accidentally Vegan' products, I re-checked the list and couldn't find Wonder Bread still on there though I found a photo of it. Curious.
#28 Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Alot of the HOVIS breads are Vegan, not sure if that's just a UK brand though. They specify on the packet weather or not they're vegan or just vegetarian.
#29 Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

Email sent. I know Wonder Bread was once included in PETA's list of 'Accidentally Vegan' products, I re-checked the list and couldn't find Wonder Bread still on there though I found a photo of it. Curious.

I remember seeing it there a while back, but I checked both varieties at the grocery store (Wonder and Wonder Classic) and both had whey

Guess they changed the formula.
#30 Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Wonderbread has became NON-vegan as of two years ago, because they wanted to add more "calcium" intake, so therefore, a dairy ingredient is in the bread. I know this because there is a Wonderbread factory near by. I am surprised Wonderbread is still around.. did Hostess buy them out? Cuz from what I know, Wonderbread went bankrupt and they're not making it anymore.

So what is "l-cystine"???? Did i miss something?

I am trying to avoid carbs... breads, pasta and such, but I limit it to once a week. Anyhow, I ended up buying a white bread from henry's. The ingredient was simple. I noticed there is a WHITE RICE bread (japanese brand-forgot the name). Anyone know of it? I want to try it, but not sure yet.

I cant find Arnold brand anywhere. Where do you guys buy it from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page