Keeping food items on hand? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to switch to a vegan diet and at home it's going ok. Actually, at work it's not too bad either. I can just generally grab a bowl of leftovers and stick in the fridge at work so it's ok.

But last night I found myself in a situation where I didn't know what was actual food and what wasn't. So I had apples slices until I got home to warm up some leftovers. But I was soooo hungry while out.

Do any of you carry any emergency food items in your purse or vehicle? What do you take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Banned

Within a few months of turning vegan you'll eventually learn where you can grab a quick snack when you're on the go, what shops sell easy-vegan bites and so on.

When I travel to a new town or country I'll usually fill my walking bag with some nuts, fruit, olives or something interesting and easily identifiable from a delicattessen and munch on that during the day. This keeps you from becoming starving and alllows you time to find a restaurant that suits instead of just settling for anything out of starvation.
#3 Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEpiphany View Post

Do any of you carry any emergency food items in your purse or vehicle? What do you take?

-\thomemade trail mix in a small ziploc bag

-\tdried apricots

-\tstore-bought fruit/energy bars

-\tstore-bought crackers or crisp bread in single serving size packages

-\tsmall carton of plant milk

-\tfrozen/thawed homemade cookie in small ziploc bag

(usually just one or two of these)

+1 that youll soon learn where to grab which snacks. IME getting vegan snacks from stores or delis is way easier than actually finding vegan options on restaurant menus. Not to discourage you about that though, as usually youll still be able to eat there too, if you talk to the staff about your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Flapjacks or cereal bars are good, or bags of dried fruit or nuts.
#5 Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I never thought of those cereal bars... just assumed they weren't vegan. I'll have to check the ingredients next time I go to the store.
#6 Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

Flapjacks or cereal bars are good, or bags of dried fruit or nuts.

Veggies....Granola or Cereal Bars....some nuts sometimes...I always carry something.

peace love and good karma

jenn
#7 Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts, pretzels, and granola bars.
#8 Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm confused about you didn't know what was food and what wasn't food... but to answer your question -- yes I always carry food. I usually have a piece of fruit, a larabar, a luna/clif bar, some crackers, some nuts and dried fruit, maybe a fruit leather, maybe some whole grain cereal with dried fruit and nuts.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM

There's not much I can add as everyone else pretty much summed it up - fruit, nuts, crackers, granola bars, etc. - but I just wanted to say, don't ever get discouraged. When I first went vegan I was constantly wondering what the heck I could eat other than the obvious but in no time at all I figured out that as you get more use to your new lifestyle, there's a whole lot of things that are actually vegan to eat!

I still usually just carry fruit/vegetables with me but that's cause I'm uber lazy when it comes to food. Still, if you check out nearby food stores you'll become more aware of what they contain that you can actually eat without having to worry about the ingredients and once you know, it'll be super easy to just go and grab something without even having to use your brain. It's awesome!
#10 Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

crackers...you can make PB crackers and keep a baggie of them too.

if you suddenly find yourself out and nothing on hand and you need to stop at a convenience store or something, check out Peta's "accidentally vegan" list...there are lots of things...from lorna doones, oreos to chips and granola bars.
#11 Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM

One thing I've realized is that while most fast food joints are out, you can always find something to eat in a grocery store. Obvious for most of you, I'm sure, but I remember thinking when making the transition about all those times I was hungry on the go and just went to a fast food place. I thought, "OMG, now what will I eat?" I can always find something to tide me over until I get home, and I keep meatless jerky and a Dr. McDougal's soup cup in the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page