medicine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM

ok, i know all medicines are tested on animals,but how do you overcome this ?

i mean, its something i disagree with and i feel terrible every time i have to have medicine. Last night i was crying after taking cough medicine , all i could think about was the lab animals that have gone through all that pain and suffering that i just contributed to by taking some of that medicine. do any of you feel like this? do any of you have any good home remedies without honey that are any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Look into herbal remedies. Also, there are lots of natural medicines available, although they can be quite expensive.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...s-for-cold.htm

Quote:
Mullein flower tea has a pleasant taste and is good to soothe inflamed conditions of the mucous membrane lining the throat. Also relieves coughing. Put a small handful of the mullein flowers in 1 pint of boiling water. Allow to steep 15 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey.

Obviously, you can use agave nectar instead of honey.
#3 Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

All OTC or prescription medications are required, by law, to be tested on animals. Getting around this isn't as simple as choosing a cruelty-free brand of makeup.

Since we can't really vote with consumer dollars on this, your best bet is to lobby for approved replacements for animal tests and changes in government testing laws. You can help fund the development of non-animal testing methods through organizations like the Johns Hopkins Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing. You can also join an advocacy organization which focuses specifically on ending vivisection, like the NAVS or AAVS.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im a vegetable! View Post

ok, i know all medicines are tested on animals,but how do you overcome this ?

i mean, its something i disagree with and i feel terrible every time i have to have medicine. Last night i was crying after taking cough medicine , all i could think about was the lab animals that have gone through all that pain and suffering that i just contributed to by taking some of that medicine. do any of you feel like this? do any of you have any good home remedies without honey that are any good?

Don't get yourself so upset! I do recommend looking around at natural medication, just for your health. But if you need to take something, don't kill yourself over it. You do everything you can. Work on all the things you can do and the rest will fall into place
#5 Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You're going to do less good as a dead vegan than a vegan who took medicine she needed. Though that said, cough medicine has been shown to do absolutely nothing and be completely useless. Try a humidifier and some menthol/eucalyptus rub or vaporizer stuff and drink lots of hot tea.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very rarely sick so luckily haven't had to face this yet.... but my rule in terms of medicine is this - If I NEED it I will take it.... so something like prescription meds. If its something that will make me feel BETTER only I will try and find a herbal natural alternative. e.g. pain relief, cough relief, etc.
#7 Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You're going to do less good as a dead vegan than a vegan who took medicine she needed. Though that said, cough medicine has been shown to do absolutely nothing and be completely useless. Try a humidifier and some menthol/eucalyptus rub or vaporizer stuff and drink lots of hot tea.

exactly and I learned that the hard way...

Peace LOve and Happiness

Jenn
#8 Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks everyone, you have all really helped .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page