hair supplements - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM

My ahir has been getting thinner and I seem to be at a loss of energy..

I don't know if they are linked but I am mainly concerned about my hair..

Is there some kind of vegan supplement I can take to help my hair be stronger and thicker again?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena08-89 View Post

Is there some kind of vegan supplement I can take to help my hair be stronger and thicker again?

thanks

I think trying to include more vitamins and minerals in your diet is a better idea, unless you want to be taking supplements forever. If you take a supplement until your hair's grown back and then stop, you'll probably end up back where you started before you know it!

I've looked into this before because I thought my hair might be thinning a while ago (it may have been the relentless dying, but it's definitely thick again now anyway!)

It seemed from my research that Vitamins A and E, Zinc, Iron and Vitamin B complex were the ones to look for (there are bound to be more I've missed out!)

Rather than going out and buying the supplements, I made sure to include all these in my diet. I did buy B complex just to be on the safe side, but found I preferred eating large quantities of Marmite.

Lots of protein is important too.

Be careful if you're taking vitamin A. Too much can lead to hair loss.
#3 Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

whats your diet like? it could be something that doesn't need, or wouldn't benefit from a vitamin fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM

yeah i havent really been keeping up with the protein... mainly breads,lots of fruits and veggies and cereals...

not too balanced eh

I need to get back into tofu!!! ahh
#5 Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Lots of lovely tofu and lentils and TVP and soya products and various beans! Very important :-)
#6 Old 01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a hairdresser and I always tell my clients to make sure they are getting the required amount of calories, vitamins etc. Are you eating enough? I find hair thinning can occur on my clients who need to eat more in general. Eat some nuts and avocados for some good fats. We also recommend a supplement called sillica (which I know you can get vegan) which is supposed to make hair and nails stronger. Try to decrease stress levels and maybe massage your scalp for a few minutes a day to increase blood flow, which then increases hair growth. Hope that is helpful!
#7 Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Biotin is great for hair and is in B-complex, if it is a quality product. Biotin is expensive, so many vitamins skimp on it and jack up the other B's.

Protein is also important. Look for non-GMO soy protein.
#8 Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena08-89 View Post

thanks

Are you getting enough protein? Hair is made of proteins so make sure you are!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM

No I have hardly been having any protein for the past couple weeks.. but I didnt think that could have such a big and fast impact.. but I ate sooo much vegie protein today and yesterday with vitamins and im surprized how my head is so much less sensitive and im head ache free.. its crazy

but thank you guys so much.. it helped a lot.. any other information you have for me im willing to listen. thanks

#10 Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

lots of things can mess with your hair... hormones, medicines, stress, natural growth cycles, all sorts. same with energy. if it doesn't get better in a bit, and stay better, you should go to your doctor for a checkup.
#11 Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Flaxseed oil - I put it in my fruit smoothie every morning. Really good for skin and hair. You can also buy it in seed form and grind it and put it on your cereal...
#12 Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I second the Biotin.
#13 Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Beginner

It never hurts to go to a Doctor and get bloodwork done.

In 2007 I lost 2/3 of my hair.

I've had more bloodtests done to find the source than I care to remember. I'm not trying to freak you out but it's better to be safe than sorry.
#14 Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I concur with everyone who's said to take a look at your diet. I belive that when your body is lacking nutrients/etc, the first thing it does it stop giving them to your hair and nails because they're not as important as your organs and so on, so they're the first sign that your diet is inadequite. It sounds like you need to eat more protein based foods, but everyone else has already said that Try to eat a varied diet, try to include more protein rich food, and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve, I agree with Ruin that checking incase there's an underlying issue at the doctors never hurts.

It's natrual in this society to jump to sumpliments or health foods if you think you have a problem, but really it's crazy, why keep taking expensive little pills, that simply mask the underlying cause of your problem, ie: your diet?

Goodluck, hope your hair (and energy levels) improve soon!
#15 Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susykat View Post

Flaxseed oil - I put it in my fruit smoothie every morning. Really good for skin and hair. You can also buy it in seed form and grind it and put it on your cereal...

This is actually the best way to buy Flaxseed. The liquid kind tends to go rancid faster than whole seeds. I store mine in an airtight container in the freezer.
#16 Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I concur with everyone who's said to take a look at your diet. I belive that when your body is lacking nutrients/etc, the first thing it does it stop giving them to your hair and nails because they're not as important as your organs and so on, so they're the first sign that your diet is inadequite. It sounds like you need to eat more protein based foods, but everyone else has already said that Try to eat a varied diet, try to include more protein rich food, and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve, I agree with Ruin that checking incase there's an underlying issue at the doctors never hurts.

It's natrual in this society to jump to sumpliments or health foods if you think you have a problem, but really it's crazy, why keep taking expensive little pills, that simply mask the underlying cause of your problem, ie: your diet?

Goodluck, hope your hair (and energy levels) improve soon!

When it comes to your health, there is nothing that is too expensive, except for maybe a lengthy hospital visit. :/ If one does not eat a healthy diet, they are the ones that REALLY need to supplement. REAL vitamins will cost a pretty penny, but you have to weigh the difference here. Keratin is an excellent supplement for your hair too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page