Sure, she won't listen to me... (about milk) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always told my mom the horrors of dairy- not so much about the industry, but about how *gasp* milk isn't good for you.

I've told her that the excess protein in dairy products leaches calcium from the bones. I tried to show her legit websites and quotes from books.

She never believed me. She doesn't eat meat anymore but she would drink lots of milk to "make her bones strong"

She was mad when I stopped drinking milk, and when my 14-year old sister stopped she was even more upset. Because WHERE in the world are we going to get our calcium?!

Well she goes to a chiropractor twice a week and this morning the chiropractor was telling her they're having a nutrition seminar next week. They started talking about diet and he brought up MILK and how it's not good for you!!

My mom told me "And then he said...stuff about milk that you have told me before...like I shouldn't drink it..."

So she said she's going to completely stop drinking cow's milk and start drinking soy milk!!

I just thought it was funny that she didn't believe the things I've been telling her for TWO YEARS, but when good old Dr. Justin tells her to stop drinking milk, she listens to him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, the same thing happened to John Robbins and his dad. He gave a copy of his book to his dad, and his dad never read it. Then when his dad went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a serious disease, he asked his doctor for nutritional advice, and his doctor gave him the same book his son had written and given to him years ago!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

I can't digest soy. Cow milk clogs up my lungs. Tough biz either way for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Lucky for you those aren't the only 2 options. Rice, nut and seed milks are great!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Rice milk is way better than soy milk.
#6 Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM

Wow, a doctor who gives good nutritional advice! My father who is 80yrs old had gone almost completely vegan having noticed my good health but was not feeling well for whatever reason went to his doctor who told him that he was anemic and needed more iron so he should eat red meat. Ugh! So I said try eating lots of leafy greans, especially spinach. But NOOOOO! He had to listen to his idiot doctor. I am not giving up on him though. Kudos to the chiropractor!
#7 Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

Rice milk is way better than soy milk.

Speak for yourself!

Soymilk is deliciosity at its peak, creamy and full-bodied. Love at its height.

We keep rice milk for my nephew who is allergic to dairy and soy and it's all watery and yuck-o, imo.

*Has four half gallons of Silk in fridge, chocolate, plain and vanilla that won't make it a week*
#8 Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer rice milk too. I like that it's not as thick as soy milk.

Rice Dream
#9 Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Scafe View Post

went to his doctor who told him that he was anemic and needed more iron so he should eat red meat.

Ahh yes...my mom's doctor told her she was anemic a while back and *needed* to eat red meat

Luckily she had no desire to, so she listened to me and I researched the best things for her to eat.

But my aunt (who is a nurse) was like "Oh [mom's name], I wish you would just eat meat!"
#10 Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM

In our culture, lactose-intolerance is treated as abnormal. Where as, genetically speaking, being lactose-tolerant past the average age of 5 is abnormal. Usually, once a mammal stops breast feeding, a genetic thing happens and the body stop producing the enzyme that breaks down culture.

I was never a 'milk' person growing up. Especially on hot days, I hated it when my mom sat a glass of cold milk in front of me, w/dinner. The worst was a hot day, spaghetti and a glass of milk .... <shudders thinking about it>

Love your avatar, I have a chihuahua, too. He's a rescue. People are terrified of my mastiff, who's the biggest baby, and also a rescue.
LL
#11 Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine73 View Post

In our culture, lactose-intolerance is treated as abnormal. Where as, genetically speaking, being lactose-tolerant past the average age of 5 is abnormal.

Yeah it's funny to me that folks treat lactose intolerance as if it were some kind of disease, when in fact it is perfectly normal. We're supposed to be lactose intolerant! Milk drinkers are adult breast feeders. They just pay a middle man to go get it for them.
#12 Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine73 View Post

Love your avatar, I have a chihuahua, too. He's a rescue. People are terrified of my mastiff, who's the biggest baby, and also a rescue.

Awww your chihuahua is adorable!!! I love chihuahuas. How wonderful of you to rescue.

I tried to rescue from a chihuahua rescue but was denied because I don't have a fenced-in yard

My next dogs will be from a shelter though.

Your mastiff looks like a sweetie!! I love his coat!

The other dog in my picture is a chihuahua mix- from a neighbor's accidental litter
#13 Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night I went to this "Easy Detox Techniques" class, and the presenter started off by talking about food. One of the first things she said was "there are two types of proteins: good ones and bad ones. Good proteins are plant proteins and bad ones are the animal ones." So I'm sitting there thinking, oh wow. But then she goes on to say that all grains are bad. Mind you no division here between whole and processed! And then five minutes later she says, "I tried being a vegetarian in college because I thought it was the right thing to do. But all I was eating was fruits and vegetables, and after a few months my hair started falling out, my nails started chipping, etc. I figured that was because I was not getting enough protein so I went back to eating meat. I guess vegetarianism is not for everyone. I think it depends on the blood type and I am a type 0 and type 0 needs meat." And then, later she started talking about colon cleansing and tells people to take fiber supplements, instead of eating whole grains! I left during the break, did not bother staying for the rest of the class. I was just really annoyed.

My connection to the original post being that I really don't like it when people who claim medical knowledge or wellness knowledge give all this misinformation about diet.
#14 Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh that's really frustrating. That's what I'm worried about with my mom going to this speaker by herself. She'll take everything the person says to heart.

I wish I could go with her but I'll be back at school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page