going to buy 2 books on veganism...recommendations? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM

I still have some money leftover from my Christmas present dem my in-laws so I really want to buy a couple of books. I was hoping to get one vegan cookbook, preferably one with not too difficult recipes, and then a general book about all things vegan...maybe with a lot of focus on the nutrition aspect.

Any recommendations for each of these? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Veganomicon and Bloodless Revolution: A Cultural History of Vegetarianism from 1600 to Modern Times perhaps?
#3 Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i second veganomicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The World Peace Diet or Food for Life or any of the other books here by Dr. Neal Barnard.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far! I've heard a lot about veganomicon so I think I am probably going to get that as one of them!
#6 Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM

Well I ended up getting 4 books. I got veganomicon, idiots guide to vegan living, idiots guide to vegan cooking, and the world peace diet book ahimsa suggested. I mostly got the idiots guides in hopes my husband will read them lol. Plus I love huge informational books like the idiots line of books. I already have one about housekeeping and personal finance
#7 Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 PM

Sounds good, I hope you like them!! (and that your husband will read them, too. )
#8 Old 12-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Freak
#9 Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Veganomicon and food revolution are great reads
#10 Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

BooYakkaSha-Majesty-Masja-Bo-Basha.

thats another really good bookie wookie.
#11 Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

"Becoming Vegan"
#12 Old 01-01-2009, 03:43 AM

Just read "The THRIVE diet" by Brendan Brazier. Found it very inspiring.
#13 Old 01-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

"Becoming Vegan"

I'll look that one up too! I have myself a book budget this month, I think I'm going to cut it close lol.

Has anyone here used the vegan vitles cookbook? It had good customer reviews on amazon and sounded interesting.
#14 Old 01-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

its kind of a tangent but the best vegetarian related book of the few ive bought is by far "eternal treblinka - our treatment of animals and the Holocaust" by charles patterson
#15 Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmeV View Post

Just read "The THRIVE diet" by Brendan Brazier. Found it very inspiring.

I *almost* got this one! I put it in my cart and then removed it. I think i'll go read more reviews on it. Thanks!

EDIT:

Okay read more reviews and I definitely want this book. But I think i'll wait until next month. The cheapest I found it, even used was 17 dollars, much more than all the other used books I found. So if I find it cheaper this month ill get it or ill wait until next month and just pay whatever.
#16 Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM

becoming vegan! covers a lot of important nutrition info.
#17 Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratekk129 View Post

Well I ended up getting 4 books. I got veganomicon, idiots guide to vegan living, idiots guide to vegan cooking, and the world peace diet book ahimsa suggested. I mostly got the idiots guides in hopes my husband will read them lol. Plus I love huge informational books like the idiots line of books. I already have one about housekeeping and personal finance

LOL, I didn't bu the Idiot's Guide one's, but the others are in my collection as well.

If you are single, a great book to buy next time you are out looking for recipes is Vegan Bites: Recipes for Singles, has a lot of recipes with smaller portions.
#18 Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM

So I ended up ordering a total of 7 books...only one that wasn't about veganism (whether nutrition, recipes, or animal rights) which was on childrens nutrition. My husband said since I like to read and I was buying used books for me to just get some I thought I would like. I can't complain...with shipping included I got 7 books for about 50 dollars!! And all were called at least good condition.

Anyhow today one came in the mail. Its called the vegan sourcebook. Has anyone read this? I'm still only a couple handful of pages into it but its really interesting, the part I'm on us a vegan history lesson on when the term came about and things like that. One thing I noticed that I thought was interesting and should maybe Be brought up more often in the honey discussions is that in 1944 the vegan society published a manifesto and it specifically states...

"to advocate that man's food should be derived from fruits, bits, vegetables, grains and other wholesome Non-animal products and it should exclude flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, and animals milk, bitter'and cheese.

So even the first real group of vegans didn't condone honey
#19 Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

For your general book I would recommend Diet for a New America.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#20 Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I second Diet For a New America. It's LOADED with information.

I recommend The Ethics of What We Eat. It's a little more focused on the ethical side of veganism (go figure), but it's definitely worth reading, especially if you need a little slap in the face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page