How to stop drinking milk and eating eggs?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new to vegetarianism and have not yet taken milk products or eggs out of my diet. Eggs are no problem.. I don't really care for them anyway...and I'm planning on just avoiding any products with eggs in them-- but are there any products I might not realize have eggs in them?

My main problem though, is milk. Not Milk products so much as milk itself. I have LOVED milk since I was little... I drink a ton of it. I don't want to, because I want to be a full vegetarian... but I don't know how to stop drinking it. Should I ween myself off of it or quit cold turkey??

Also, because I'm taking this out of my diet... should I be looking for a multi vitamin with more vitamin D or something else? Or is just a general multivitamin okay?

I'd appreciate any suggestions...Thanks everyone!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mathatma Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-26-2008, 01:04 PM

My suggestion? Quit cold turkey after you read up on what's REALLY in milk. Do a search for "pus in milk" and see if that doesn't change your mind. (Thanks again to Dieselsmom...you changed my milk-loving life!)
#3 Old 12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Beginner

this is a vegetarian SUPPORT forum. i for one from my experience found the vegan diet very unhealthy for me and got tired of spending bocu bucks on nutritionists/supplements to get what was missing. so now i am HAPPY to be vegetarian. i dont like to post here anymore since it seems this is not so much a support for those of us who find vegetarianism either healthier for us or it fits moreso into a our home or extroverted lifestyle. cant these questions be posted in a vegan forum? i wanted to read in the vegetarian threads yesterday i believe and read another question on being vegan. there are no other forums for those of us happy to be vegetarians even though we are the majority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

........My main problem though, is milk. Not Milk products so much as milk itself. I have LOVED milk since I was little... I drink a ton of it. I don't want to, because I want to be a full vegetarian... but I don't know how to stop drinking it.

Also, because I'm taking this out of my diet... should I be looking for a multi vitamin with more vitamin D or something else? Or is just a general multivitamin okay?

It sounds like you already are a full vegetarian. What you have your sights on is veganism. You might want to have a moderator move this thread to the vegan support forum on this site, maybe? There's a support thread on quitting dairy there:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=36734

But to answer your questions: I'm pretty sure you'll need a vitmain B-12 supplement. You might not need any other supplements though. If you get enough sun, at least in the warmer months, you might be okay for vitamin D. Calcium can be had from certain vegetables such as broccoli and kale.

I also missed plain white milk at first, but eventually got more used to not having it.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Try vanilla soy, rice or almond milk as a milk substitute. You might want to start with a flavored milk substitute like Silk pumpkin spice or Rice Dream Rice Nog just to get used to the different texture.
#6 Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I found it motivating to find out what is involved in the dairy and egg industries. Tom (from post 4) recommended Portrait of a Burger as a Young Calf to me and now I recommend it to others. It very accurately describes the dairy industry without the vegan bias (the author is an omni, afaik).

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Burge.../dp/0609605917

My reason for becoming vegetarian was out of compassion for animals and I've yet to come across a commercial dairy farm or egg farm that does not send 'their' animals to slaughter when they are no longer productive. So being vegan makes sense.
#7 Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

It sounds like you already are a full vegetarian. What you have your sights on is veganism.

Not necessarily. Vegans don't use leather, wool, honey, animal tested stuff, etc. and the OP is only talking about giving up eggs and dairy, which is in line with the traditional view of vegetarianism, now called strict vegetarianism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminahc1 View Post

My suggestion? Quit cold turkey after you read up on what's REALLY in milk.

Yes, this is the best way.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone, for the info. The book that Mr.Sun recommended seems interesting, and I am going to look into it.

I was under the impression that choosing not to eat eggs/milk is still just being a vegetarian, because like SomebodyElse mentioned, a vegan won't eat anything/wear anything/use anything made from animals... that's why I posted my question in this forum.

I think I'll try to quit cold turkey-- seems like the best plan!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mathatma Gandhi
#9 Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM

There are different types of vegetarians and veganism is just one of them with additional lifestyle changes. If you become a strict vegetarian and implement it right and make sure you get enough calories and eat a wide variety of greens, fruits, and beans you will be fine and won't miss anything. You also don't really need a supplement either. I've been a vegan 3 years now and I haven't took one yet and haven't gotten sick and feel great. You can also get the daily requirments from other sources such a fortified cereals and alternative milk products and much cheaper than supplements.

After watching a couple of meat your meat type of clips and reading up on milk I was able to quit cold turkey after that. It may take a couple of tries at becoming a strict vegetarian to get it right just make sure you do your research !! Good Luck!!
#10 Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

On every commercial dairy farm - even organic and free-range - calves are forcibly removed from their mothers on the day of or within days of birth, at great distress to both. They may cry and search for each other for months. This is so humans can get the milk meant for the calf.

That's also the reason for veal calves - there's little use for males on a dairy farm.

If you read up on the dairy industry, you may find dairy is not all that appealing anymore. When you see a veal calf lying in his own waste, chained at the neck...that's the result of people buying dairy.

The dairy industry is as or more cruel to animals than the meat industry.

So my recommendation is to read up on it, watch some video - search out the free movie "Earthlings" on the net or find some other video - go to http://www.petatv.com - and also find some substitutes that work for you. For cheese, many people find that avocado and oils can fulfill the desire for fats. I like "Follow Your Heart" vegan mozzerella and Tofutti slices and Tofutti sour cream. Have a look at the nutritional yeast "cheeses" you can make yourself too

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

Try vanilla soy, rice or almond milk as a milk substitute. You might want to start with a flavored milk substitute like Silk pumpkin spice or Rice Dream Rice Nog just to get used to the different texture.

but don't drink it plain right away, use it in your cooking or your morning cereal as you're getting used to the taste; it might help in your transition to subsitute soymilk for moo-milk
#12 Old 12-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't know how to stop drinking it. Should I ween myself off of it or quit cold turkey??

I think it's easier if you just quit cold tofurkey....you get used to it quicker.

If you keep switching back and forth between regular milk and your chosen alternative, I think it complicates and slows down your transition.

Quote:

If you do your research thoroughly before you start out and eat a balanced diet, you shouldn't need a multi-vitamin, but it's my personal belief that if you're going to eat a vegan diet (or near to it), you will really benefit from supplementing with Vit D.......and of course B12 is a must.

#13 Old 12-27-2008, 04:32 AM

I have just watched the meet your meat video referred to earlier. I am in floods of tears now. That should be shown on all tv channels at the same time the world over.

I knew treatment like that happened, but seeing it in such graphic detail is so saddening, and I am ashamed I ever ate meat at all.
#14 Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with trying flavored milks first and even putting it in your cereal before trying to drink a glass. Once I had a taste of soymilk I never wanted to go back to original milk. Its soo much better. Also soymilk is a bit thicker compared to almond/rice milks. But still just as good.
#15 Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with trying flavored milks first and even putting it in your cereal before trying to drink a glass. Although personally I found it alot easier to drink a straight glass of soymilk rather than regular. Once I had a taste of soymilk I never wanted to go back to original milk. Its soo much better. Also soymilk is a bit thicker compared to almond/rice milks. But still just as good. And they all come in so many varieties of flavors so you have many options.
#16 Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM

I am trying to do this too and am also having a hard time with it. Eggs I have no problem letting go of but milk is much harder. I tried regular soy milk at first and hated it. Then I tried chocolate soy milk and that was much better. But my favorite so far is Rice milk. I got the vanilla kind and it pretty good. I think I need to just quit cold turkey but it's hard. Good luck to you!
#17 Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the credit, Mr. Sun!

Quote:

Thanks everyone, for the info. The book that Mr.Sun recommended seems interesting, and I am going to look into it.

I was under the impression that choosing not to eat eggs/milk is still just being a vegetarian, because like SomebodyElse mentioned, a vegan won't eat anything/wear anything/use anything made from animals... that's why I posted my question in this forum.

I think I'll try to quit cold turkey-- seems like the best plan!

Ah- I see now. The thing is, this is the vegetarian support forum, and debates about using milk have sometimes become abrasive to milk-drinking vegetarians. That's why I suggested the vegan subforum; I thought everyone in this thread might be more on the same page. But I see your point.

Cold turkey might be the way to go. I distinctly remember that I sometimes allowed myself to drink milk, eat cheese, etc in the days when I considered myself to be in transition to veganism but not there yet. A gradual transition is good if that will make it easier for you, but you might have to set a date when you will commit to being dairy-free.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

The thing is, this is the vegetarian support forum

No it's not. It's in the "New to Veg" forum - and this person is new here, and new to the attempt to eliminate dairy. I don't see an issue and I think the person who had a problem was overreacting.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

No it's not. It's in the "New to Veg" forum - and this person is new here, and new to the attempt to eliminate dairy. I don't see an issue and I think the person who had a problem was overreacting.

Yeah, I just want to add my voice and say that I see a big difference between someone asking for support by saying "I want to give up X" and saying "You should give up X". There are lots of people here who don't eat milk and eggs who don't identify as vegans, and may not even read the vegan forum, and they need support too, especially when they are new to the whole thing.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#20 Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Mod Post

I went ahead and moved this thread to the vegan forum to allow for open discussion in this thread,
#21 Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey everyone. I'm new to vegetarianism and have not yet taken milk products or eggs out of my diet. Eggs are no problem.. I don't really care for them anyway...and I'm planning on just avoiding any products with eggs in them-- but are there any products I might not realize have eggs in them?

I have found that some soy based fake meat products can have egg in them. Egg white seems to be something that pops up in strange places sometimes and it's good to check that.

Quote:

My main problem though, is milk. Not Milk products so much as milk itself. I have LOVED milk since I was little... I drink a ton of it. I don't want to, because I want to be a full vegetarian... but I don't know how to stop drinking it. Should I ween myself off of it or quit cold turkey??

I'd appreciate any suggestions...Thanks everyone!

I use to love milk too, a lot. Now I usually use unflavored soy milk when I cook and if I want milk to my cereals in the morning or just plain milk I usually drink rice milk. But I don't drink even those much anymore because the high price. It's amazing how one liter of rice milk can cost triple times that what you pay from one liter of cow's milk.

What comes to vitamins, if you eat food where they have added B12 and D2 (D3 is animal based) then you don't need to eat anything extra. What comes to calcium and other important stuff, find some kind list to yourself that shows to you how much you can get example calcium from different plants and seeds. When I did that I was so amaze how much better sources there are with that and that milk is not so great source of calcium after all.

One good book about the nutritions is Becoming vegan. It've been written to vegans but there is so much basic information about it how much you need protein and vitamins during day that I say that you can find it helpful when you are learning this stuf.
#22 Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

It gets super easy as time goes on. Try getting flavored soy milk for drinking it, like chocolate, vanilla, or peppermint chocolate. You'll get used to it soon, then you'll never want real milk again. It tastes sour after a while. I always know when coffee houses sneak real milk into my drinks... it suddenly tastes gross.

Des

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#23 Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM

Wow, thanks everyone. This is very helpful!

#24 Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I just thought I'd add that i found it really helpful to remember what milk actually is. That is, a food which is meant for calves. Remember that humans are the only animals that consume another's milk. Remember that 70% of the world's human population is lactose intolerant, as we are not supposed to drink any milk (from any species) after childhood. People of European descent are only able to digest lactose because those who couldn't died, and so did not pass on their lactase gene.

Personally, I found that after I didn't eat any dairy for about two weeks, the thought of it was a bit gross. That might be because milk protein turns into an opiate (addictive drug type substance) during digestion so you because physiologically addicted, but I'm not very sure about how valid this is

Basically, remember that milk isn't natural and is not good for people

Eggs are also in mayonnaise, hollandaise sauce, mirengue, and many cakes in case you didn't already know.
#25 Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

just quit cold turkey is my advice. we are habitual and after 2 weeks it'll be as normal as drinking milk, to avoid it (ie mentally its 'not an option' to drink milk/consume products containing milk). I've never found the easing off slowly argument compelling - if you wish to avoid something, whether it be cetain foods in the case of veganism, or some drug in the case of addiction, allowing yourself to still take it seems like a bad idea destined for failure.
#26 Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

For soy-based liquid non-dairy milks Ive tried EdenSoy and Silk (I may have tried Westbrae too). These both come in different flavors, but I think Silk with DHA rocks! It has DHA (an essential omega-3 fatty acid) from algae, many other nutrients found in milk, has a nice faintly-sweet milky taste, and is even a bit less expensive than real milk, at least in my area. Other varieties are chocolate, vanilla, and extra fiber, but I havent tried those since they dont have DHA.

Two powders Ive tried are Vegelicious (now called DariFree), and Solait. I did a search for DariFree powder; its made by Vances Foods (800-497-4834 ). If they havent changed their recipe, its quite tasty and is made from potato and pea rather than soy. But it has less protein than milk. Solait is a soy-based powder now called Harvest Direct; I like it.

#27 Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM

My best advice would be to quit cold turkey....ive found that sometimes the gradual approach doesnt always work...especially in my case...ive been trying to let go of cheese for a while...its best just to let it go..thats what i had to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page