help me cook the best breakfast ever - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Newbie
 
oligarchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
so this topic actually has a little bit of a story to it.



it begins with my life skills class taught by an absolutely horrid teacher. she told us that the day before holiday break (the 23rd) we should have a breakfast party and we could cook in the next door room and everything.



so today she asked us what we wanted and began planning it and making a huge deal out of it. there was actually has a huge debate between bacon or sausages, bahah. well i was ignoring the whole thing and i think she asked what i wanted, and another girl (has anyone else found that people love to tell others you're a vegan? they do where i live.) told her that i was a vegan and couldn't eat the planned pancakes and bacon. she snuffed and told me i could eat it anyway or something? she was just generally rude towards me. i chose to just focused myself on my work and ignore her.

the conversation on my veganism continued for a little while, and several minutes later the teacher told me i could bring some of my own food. i nodded, not looking up, and she freaked out and yelled at me for being so rude and not acknowledging her.

actually after that a few kids came up to me after class and told me how rude the teacher was to me. i can't actually portray her demeanor and tone of voice in a typed story, but oh boyyy.





but anywho, i decided after that lovely encounter today i'll just have to bring a delicious, homemade breakfast with me to eat as everyone digs into their aunt jemimas mix pancakes and bacon.



i was curious about whether anyone had any knock-out recipes to share?



and i'm sorry if i should have just found something in the recipe section, but i thought my accompanying story was pretty good and i'd like some definite knock-out recipes.



thanks!
oligarchism is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
NintendoArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 18
cut up some potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and shrooms, fry it in olive oil, put in some egg substitute and mrs. dash and you got yourself a hefty meal =]



what you do is let the veggies simmer, then when they start to smell really good and get brown around the edges, add in the egg substitute and give it some time (like 30 seconds) to start to solidify on the bottom of the pan and scrape across. keep doing that until the egg substitute is all solid and the veggies are dark. breakfast of champions
NintendoArcher is offline  
#3 Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Abbey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,684
Ohhhh! Vegan French toast! "Freedom French Toast" from the cookbook La Dolce Vegan! It is SO GOOD, and virtually indistinguishable from the traditional version! I gave the recipe to 2 of my omni friends and they loved it, even though it "flies in the face of tradition", as they said. And I made it for my husband on Sunday, and he was so reluctant to try it that he told me to only make him one slice. Well he loved it so much that he tried to steal mine!



Could you prepare it in class though? So you don't have to make it in advance and reheat it? I still think it would taste good reheated, but it would be even better if everyone could see you making it, and watch their disbelief when they see how good it is.



If you're interested, I can PM you the recipe. You may want to try it once before you make it for class; even though it's very easy, you'll want to make sure you get the pan heated just right so you don't have to waste the first piece of French toast from the pan being too hot.



Good luck!
Abbey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Veggily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,868
i don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say that i think it's cool that you have the opportunity to show off your vegan food in class, because some of the other students will probably have their curiosity piqued and may open their minds to the idea of trying a vegan breakfast (lunch/dinner) themselves.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Veggily is offline  
#5 Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Biscuits and mushroom gravy with vegan sausage in it along with fried potatoes is LOVELY!!!





Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoArcher View Post

cut up some potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and shrooms, fry it in olive oil, put in some egg substitute and mrs. dash and you got yourself a hefty meal =]



what you do is let the veggies simmer, then when they start to smell really good and get brown around the edges, add in the egg substitute and give it some time (like 30 seconds) to start to solidify on the bottom of the pan and scrape across. keep doing that until the egg substitute is all solid and the veggies are dark. breakfast of champions

"Egg substitute" in cartons is not vegan. Otherwise, YUM! Tofu works well.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#6 Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post


"Egg substitute" in cartons is not vegan. Otherwise, YUM! Tofu works well.



My thoughts exactly. What vegan "egg substitute" is there that cooks up like eggs? (Besides tofu?).



These crustless vegan mini-quiches are dandy: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12...u-quiches.html and impress people all over the place.



And this breakfast cake is really nice too. http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/break...breakfast-cake



Good luck!!
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#7 Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shamandura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,497
Here's the breakfast category on vegweb, there are quite a few gems there!http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=139.0
Shamandura is offline  
#8 Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,851
Vegan Joe is offline  
#9 Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
That's my favorite post you've ever made!!! ^

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#10 Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Newbie
 
oligarchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Ohhhh! Vegan French toast! "Freedom French Toast" from the cookbook La Dolce Vegan! It is SO GOOD, and virtually indistinguishable from the traditional version! I gave the recipe to 2 of my omni friends and they loved it, even though it "flies in the face of tradition", as they said. And I made it for my husband on Sunday, and he was so reluctant to try it that he told me to only make him one slice. Well he loved it so much that he tried to steal mine!



Could you prepare it in class though? So you don't have to make it in advance and reheat it? I still think it would taste good reheated, but it would be even better if everyone could see you making it, and watch their disbelief when they see how good it is.



If you're interested, I can PM you the recipe. You may want to try it once before you make it for class; even though it's very easy, you'll want to make sure you get the pan heated just right so you don't have to waste the first piece of French toast from the pan being too hot.



Good luck!



oh, that's sounds really good. i haven't had french toast in ages. and yes, we'll be invading the foods room so i'll have the opportunity to cook. i'll pm you.
oligarchism is offline  
#11 Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
I personally wouldn't bring any fake meat. I'd bring some really pretty cut up fruit along with some vegan pancakes. Or if you don't want to copy the pancake thing then you can make some muffins! Sprinkled raw sugar on top makes them really cute.



My favorite breakfast though is lunchy food so I'm the best at making up breakfast menus
cstadt is offline  
#12 Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ripvanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,191
There's a honey fried tofu recipe in the recipes forum that tastes very breakfasty to me... I think it reminds me of French toast. (Obviously, I don't use honey... I microwave raw sugar and a bit o' water into a surprisingly honeylike substitute.) Tofu probably isn't a very good option, though, most omnis won't find it tempting at all.



Whatever you do bring, make sure there's a gorgeous side of fruit. Mmm.
ripvanfish is offline  
#13 Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoArcher View Post

cut up some potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and shrooms, fry it in olive oil, put in some egg substitute and mrs. dash and you got yourself a hefty meal =]



what you do is let the veggies simmer, then when they start to smell really good and get brown around the edges, add in the egg substitute and give it some time (like 30 seconds) to start to solidify on the bottom of the pan and scrape across. keep doing that until the egg substitute is all solid and the veggies are dark. breakfast of champions



I like diced potatoes and peppers fried in olive oil with Emeril's Essence.



Unfortunate product name.
Marie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off