VeggieBoards banner

my "leather" sneakers aren't really leather!

13K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Aerielle Max 
#1 ·
So here's something odd that just happened to me. I typically buy my sneakers online because then I can read what materials they're made of. I've tried going to actual stores and buying sneakers, but I got sick of the looks I got from the store associates helping me when I asked "are these leather because if so I don't want them".

Anyway, I found a pair of Sketchers that I really liked so I ordered them. I checked two different places online and there was no mention of "leather" anywhere, but when I got the sneaker it said "leather" on the tag!

So I contacted the company and they said their leather is "Trubuck" leather which is a man-made material. I asked, then, why it didn't say "Trubuck" instead of leather because had I seen these in the store I would have never bought them. They said they'd contact "that department" and get back to me.

So now I'm wondering how many "leather" sneakers are out there that I could actually wear!

Anyone else ever had an experience like this?

#2 ·
I havent had an experience like this. But it is interesting to hear that, seems very odd.

I have had a few really good experiences shopping for shoes recently... I said to the sales person that I wanted non-leather shoes, he immediately starts pointing out all their non-leather shoes. Admittedly not very many, but thats not his fault. He was most helpful though which I appreciated and I did end up managing to buy one pair that I liked.

#6 ·
Yeah, mislabeling products is against the law in the US, and I'd assume in most other places, as well. I'm more inclined to think that the person telling you it wasn't really leather was lying to avoid having you return the shoes.

As for shopping experiences, I've had some lousy luck with this over the last couple of days. I'm starting a new job, and I bought some new clothes, since I have to dress a little nicer than my last job. I'm trying to find brown shoes to go with my tan slacks, and I can't find anything brown and non-leather after checking nearly a dozen different stores. I can always count on Payless for good black shoes, but I can't find brown ones anywhere. I asked an employee at one store if they had anything brown and non-leather, and he looked at me like I was from another planet, then made a dumb joke about cheap plastic sandals being the only thing I'd find.

I actually found one pair at Walmart, but they're a very narrow style, so they don't fit me. I have wide feet, so I have a hard time finding shoes that fit properly, even when they are available in my size. This is why I've never even tried to shop for shoes online - I had a hard enough time finding shoes in my size when I didn't care about the materials and I could sit and try on dozens of pairs in the store before buying something. If I bought shoes online, I'd have to buy at least a dozen pairs at once, then return the ones that didn't fit, which could easily end up being all of them.

So how bad will I look showing up my first week on a new job wearing black shoes with my tan slacks instead of brown shoes?

--Fromper

#8 ·
So I contacted the company and they said their leather is "Trubuck" leather which is a man-made material. I asked, then, why it didn't say "Trubuck" instead of leather because had I seen these in the store I would have never bought them. They said they'd contact "that department" and get back to me.
Per the sneakerfactory.net shoemaking website, Tru-buck is suede cow leather that is covered with a thin coating of PU (polyurethane). The coating is slightly brushed to make a smooth matte finish. The final product is generally a solid color leather looking product. This material is still classified as leather for import duty.

Link: https://www.sneakerfactory.net/2014/02/shoemaking-dictionary-terms/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.