What do you do with the gifts u get that aren't Vegan? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

(Depending on what the gift is, I either throw it away, or give it to someone. I lean more towards the trashcan though. I don't like giving non-vegan stuff to people. It's kind of like saying "animal exploitation is okay for other people".)

I feel the same way. If it's edible and the immediate family won't eat it, it gets thrown out. If it's inedible, it goes to Goodwill. (Last year I was given an ornament with dyed feathers poking out of the top - it was not going on my tree, so it went to Goodwill).

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

If it's edible and the immediate family won't eat it, it gets thrown out.

Oh no, I should know better, but I just can't ignore that

If I get food that isn't vegan (or vegitarian for that matter), and I can't give it away, then I will simply eat it. To me it's all about preventing damage, not about not eating certain things. Wasting food that people could live on is a big no-no to me, and I won't do it.

Even though I'm turning it up a notch by going vegan before the end of this year, I will never waste food, knowing how millions are starving every day.

Think about it
#33 Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Think about it

Bleh. I really dislike this phrase. Stating it as if the thought never crossed my mind.

I think Diana already said it best. I don't really want to support the notion that animals are food.

I believe everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

Think about it

I have. And I won't eat animals - under any circumstances that are ever likely to come up.

Everyone who knows me well enough to buy me a personal gift knows that I am vegan. However, if a business sends me a Harry and Davids package, I will eat the fruit, the nuts and recycle the beautiful boxes. But the truffles? They get thrown out.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#35 Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

Maybe not quite to the extent to eat someone, but if you believe in organ donation isn't that a similar concept. When a person dies, their death is put to good use by saving other peoples lives!

It's not a good analogy. The animals in question aren't loved pets who just happened to die and their lives are going to help someone else. They're animals who were raised and killed, almost always in horrible conditions, to become food and products. And using them and continuing to make a market for those products and normalizing the use of animals in that way encourages more of the same using and killing.

If a bunch of serial killers caged me for life and then killed me, in fact I'd prefer that my body didn't go for their welfare. It doesn't do me any service, and it normalizes the use of others for that purpose. I'd prefer that the friends of those serial killers shunned the use of my body and didn't normalize the situation by saying, Well, it's already dead, let's put it to some use, which is a tacit acceptance.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#36 Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Reddtail View Post

I can totally see why you'd say that, but isn't that just wasting something the animal was exploited/killed for? Wouldn't it be better to have it put to use?

I'm curious to see what you think because I personally can't figure out what to think on this issue for myself.

Veganism is not a consumer movement. It is a social justice movement.

If you either eat the food, or wear the shoes, or give them to someone, just because they were "given to you so they don't go to waste" you are giving an acknowledgement that animals can be commodities. Animals are not commodities.

Take another exemple. If someone gave you an very old lampshade they found in their attic which was from World War II, and was made from the skin of a Jew from a concentration camp, would you keep it so it doesn't go to waste, or give it someone? I think not.

You talk about "wasting something that the animal was exploited/killed for". They have already been exploited and/or killed. That is enough. It's time to put a stop to this game and not continue putting back into the market in any form, this product. That product is a product of discrimination and suffering. It is better off in the trashcan.
#37 Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I will never waste food, knowing how millions are starving every day.

Your not "wasting" "food" (for some of us, animals are not food) has **** to do with people starving. Since there obviously is no causal relationship between what you do with non-veg*n gifts on the one hand and starving people on the other, I have difficulty making sense of what you mean.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#38 Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Re-gift!!

I received two ((probably expensive, kinda pretty)) Italian wool scarves from my Secret Santa at work. I'm going to give at least one of them to my sister for Christmas. Lots of people forget to take into account that many vegans avoid wool, I guess. And its so damn scratchy, I really don't like wearing it anyways!

I make my own scarves for myself anyways.

E. T. A:: I have no opinion or consensus regarding non-veg*n food gifts, as people seldom give me food as gifts.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#39 Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Re-gift...I received two ((probably expensive, kinda pretty)) Italian wool scarves from my Secret Santa at work. I'm going to give at least one of them to my sister for Christmas. Lots of people forget to take into account that many vegans avoid wool, I guess.

If she knows you're vegan and against the cruelty of wool, won't she wonder why you're giving her wool? If she thinks you bought the wool, doesn't that affect any education you're trying to do with her (if you are) and undermine your statement?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#40 Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

If she knows you're vegan and against the cruelty of wool, won't she wonder why you're giving her wool? If she thinks you bought the wool, doesn't that affect any education you're trying to do with her (if you are) and undermine your statement?

1. She is aware that it is a re-gift

2. Its better than giving her nothing, which is what it was looking like with my budget this year

and,

3. I'm not trying to educate her. She's an adult who can form her own opinions. My family has lived with me long enough to become aware of the issues that I feel strongly about that lead me towards veganism. They don't agree with my convictions and I respect that.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#41 Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh no, I should know better, but I just can't ignore that

If I get food that isn't vegan (or vegitarian for that matter), and I can't give it away, then I will simply eat it. To me it's all about preventing damage, not about not eating certain things. Wasting food that people could live on is a big no-no to me, and I won't do it.

Even though I'm turning it up a notch by going vegan before the end of this year, I will never waste food, knowing how millions are starving every day.

Think about it

Freegan!

Veganism can be about consumption. A vegan diet consumes far fewer resources than an omni one, so I could see why someone with those sorts of concerns would follow a vegan diet, even if they weren't concerned with animal welfare.
#42 Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

it's usually treats or beauty products i get. the treats i give to my parents, and the bath/beauty stuff i drop off at the women's shelter.
#43 Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Beginner

I give the non-vegan things (mostly chocolate) to my boyfriend. He eats EVERYTHING. >_>
#44 Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Your not "wasting" "food" (for some of us, animals are not food) has **** to do with people starving.

Animals are most certainly food. What does a lion eat? Not food? Lifeforms consume each other, because lifeforms can serve as food, and that includes animals. It's a basic fact of nature. As for starving people, I just can't throw food away, while millions are starving. I know it won't help them, but if I think about how a lot of people can't even afford a bowl of rice, I just can't do it.

Quote:

Since there obviously is no causal relationship between what you do with non-veg*n gifts on the one hand and starving people on the other, I have difficulty making sense of what you mean.

What I mean is simple: To me it's a bad thing to waste food that people can live on, especially when the damage has already been done. It's when you buy animal products that you cause damage, not when you eat them when otherwise they would be thrown away. In that case the damage has already been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineonyou View Post

Freegan!

Veganism can be about consumption. A vegan diet consumes far fewer resources than an omni one, so I could see why someone with those sorts of concerns would follow a vegan diet, even if they weren't concerned with animal welfare.

To me it's only about animal wellfare. When I go vegan this year, it's not a dietary choice.
#45 Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Animals are most certainly food...

What I mean is simple: To me it's a bad thing to waste food that people can live on, especially when the damage has already been done.

Do you also eat humans when they die too? They must be food for something right, so that means they're food for anything...

Quote:

It's when you buy animal products that you cause damage, not when you eat them when otherwise they would be thrown away. In that case the damage has already been done.

There is still damage being done, in treating animals as a commodity.

I believe everything.
#46 Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Do you also eat humans when they die too? They must be food for something right, so that means they're food for anything...

I might in a survival situation. Food is food. Just because humans don't normally eat other humans, doesn't mean they're not made of meat, which can be used as food.

Quote:

There is still damage being done, in treating animals as a commodity.

Yes, but the point is that throwing food away doesn't reverse the damage that has been done.
#47 Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Animals are most certainly food. What does a lion eat? Not food? Lifeforms consume each other, because lifeforms can serve as food, and that includes animals. It's a basic fact of nature.

You may be ignoring the "fact" that the concept of 'food' is a cultural construct. In the US dogs aren't considered food, but in China they are. 'Food' is not synonymous with 'a potential source of nutrients'; it is more complex than that. And so people who don't see non-humans as commodities can refuse to add the norm of "it is okay to eat this" to animal flesh and thus they can choose to promote a different cultural construct.

Quote:
As for starving people, I just can't throw food away, while millions are starving. I know it won't help them, but if I think about how a lot of people can't even afford a bowl of rice, I just can't do it.

This is pretty interesting:

On the one hand, you are using the non-existence of a causal relationship (between you eating an animal product given to you, and animal suffering/death) to justify your action. And on the other hand, you are refusing to "waste" "food" because of some emotional issue, despite the absence of any kind of causal relationship.

Quote:
It's when you buy animal products that you cause damage, not when you eat them when otherwise they would be thrown away. In that case the damage has already been done.

To echo Noggie above: for some of us, the damage is in the form of participating and reinforcing an ideology of seeing and treating non-humans as objects and commodities. Eating their severed bodies is a part of that. It's the difference between veg*nism as mere consumer boycott, and veg*nism as political representation and embodiment of new, compassionate values.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#48 Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

which can be used as food.

Dogs use cat poop as food. Will you use that too, so it doesn't go to waste? It has good protein in it, which is part of what makes it appealing to them.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#49 Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You may be ignoring the "fact" that the concept of 'food' is a cultural construct. In the US dogs aren't considered food, but in China they are. 'Food' is not synonymous with 'a potential source of nutrients'; it is more complex than that.

I don't care about cultural constructs, to me it's about facts of nature. Humans can make everything complex, and often they do.

Quote:

And so people who don't see non-humans as commodities can refuse to add the norm of "it is okay to eat this" to animal flesh and thus they can choose to promote a different cultural construct.

I don't see lifeforms in general as commodities. Furthermore, to me it's ok to eat anything, I just don't like abusing animals, especially not, because it's useless. This is the reason I became a vegitarian, and it's also the reason why I'm becomming vegan this year.

Quote:

This is pretty interesting:

On the one hand, you are using the non-existence of a causal relationship (between you eating an animal product given to you, and animal suffering/death) to justify your action. And on the other hand, you are refusing to "waste" "food" because of some emotional issue, despite the absence of any kind of causal relationship.

To me, there's nothing to justify, because I didn't cause the damage. Further more, getting into a situation like that is quite easy to avoid, so I don't see it happening anyway.

Quote:

For some of us, the damage is in the form of participating and reinforcing an ideology of seeing and treating non-humans as objects and commodities. Eating their severed bodies is a part of that. It's the difference between veg*nism as mere consumer boycott, and veg*nism as political representation and embodiment of new, compassionate values.

Yes, you're right. However, eating what would go to waste otherwise, only promotes not wasting food. In the modern world, a lot of food is wasted, because people don't give a damn. Seeing animals (or any other form of life) as commodities is wrong, and so is wasting food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Dogs use cat poop as food. Will you use that too, so it doesn't go to waste? It has good protein in it, which is part of what makes it appealing to them.

No, of course not. Poo is disgusting and it's probably very unhealthy for humans anyway.
#50 Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't care about cultural constructs, to me it's about facts of nature. Humans can make everything complex, and often they do.

But I don't think someone being or not being a culturally loaded term is dependent on whether you care about cultural constructs or not.

Quote:

However, eating what would go to waste otherwise, only promotes not wasting food.

I disagree. You are eating pieces of a dead body, or its secretions. It has other cultural meanings besides "non-wastefulness".

Quote:
Seeing animals (or any other form of life) as commodities is wrong, and so is wasting food.

Would you also say that not eating your deceased companion animals is wasteful? If you wouldn't, then it seems clear how the cultural construct of 'food' plays a role in your view: the reason you talk about "not wasting" pieces of a dead cow, but not about "not wasting" pieces of a dead companion animal, is that the cow has the cultural status of 'food' according to the majority of society. You're not talking about not wasting potential sources of nutrients -- you're talking about not wasting "food", i.e. something that has been produced and is offered to you as and seen as food.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#51 Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

@Sevenseas

From a natural point of view, most lifeforms, including animals, can be used as food. As humans we can make the choice of not using animals as a food source, because it's uncivilized. Making this choice is a good choice, but it doesn't change what can be used as a food source.

As for dead companion animals, you could say the same about road kill, but you won't find me searching for any. I'm not going to cut up a dead animal and consume it and run the risk of getting ill.

I take not obtaining meat (and very soon anything that comes from animals) very seriously, but this doesn't change facts of nature: lifeforms are often used as food by other lifeforms.
#52 Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

From a natural point of view, most lifeforms, including animals, can be used as food. As humans we can make the choice of not using animals as a food source, because it's uncivilized. Making this choice is a good choice, but it doesn't change what can be used as a food source.

I haven't said or implied anything that disagrees with the claim that animals can be used as a source of nutrients.

Quote:
As for dead companion animals, you could say the same about road kill, but you won't find me searching for any. I'm not going to cut up a dead animal and consume it and run the risk of getting ill.

Why would you get ill from your dead companion animal?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#53 Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

@Sevenseas

My original point is that throwing away food is not a good thing. I'm very happy to be able to say that I don't waste food. I eat what I buy, and if I buy the wrong things and I can't give them away, I'll eat those too.

As for dead companion animals (and road kill for that matter), I think I'm going to draw the line there, because what will be next? Eating dead humans? Well, I guess culture does have an influence on me after all
#54 Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

To me it's only about animal wellfare. When I go vegan this year, it's not a dietary choice.

You said further up that you would eat non-vegan food instead of it going to waste.

You can't be a vegan and eat animals or animal "by-products".

What are you going to be then? A "flexitarian-vegan"? Sometimes a vegan and sometimes not?
#55 Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

You said further up that you would eat non-vegan food instead of it going to waste.

You can't be a vegan and eat animals or animal "by-products".

What are you going to be then? A "flexitarian-vegan"? Sometimes a vegan and sometimes not?

Yes, I would...in the highly unlikely event of getting into a situation like that. Not buying animal products and making sure others don't give me any, is the most important to me. This is what prevents the damage from being done, throwing away food doesn't prevent any damage.

And trust me, I take great care in making sure other people know what to buy me, and what not, and they also know I would just give the things back anyway. It's not very hard to avoid those situations, and I don't use the not wasting food idea as an excuse to get products I actually don't really miss
#56 Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I might in a survival situation. Food is food. Just because humans don't normally eat other humans, doesn't mean they're not made of meat, which can be used as food.

I'm not talking about an extreme survival situation. Do you or do you not eat anything that might be usable as a source for nutrients? Or is it that you use what is culturally acceptable as 'food' in your area?

Quote:

Yes, but the point is that throwing food away doesn't reverse the damage that has been done.

Yes, but eating an animal doesn't reverse the damage that you're referring to either.

I believe everything.
#57 Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh. Well, then. Animal welfare is only part of why I do not consume animal products. And I would simply want to throw up at the thought of eating even milk chocolate. So good luck on convincing yourself to eat something that ideologically you wouldn't eat!
#58 Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And trust me, I take great care in making sure other people know what to buy me, and what not, and they also know I would just give the things back anyway. It's not very hard to avoid those situations, and I don't use the not wasting food idea as an excuse to get products I actually don't really miss

Umm, do you have no out of town relatives? Or co-workers you don't know well? ...

I guess it's my bad that while reading with students in a first grade classroom twice a week, I never had the chance to set the teacher aside and let her know what I eat and don't eat. I guess I was just naive to expect that she wouldn't get me a little christmas present. BUT she did and was it not a great oversight on my part to never ask her to stop teaching her class for a moment so I could tell her that I don't eat dairy and explain what whey is.
#59 Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not talking about an extreme survival situation. Do you or do you not eat anything that might be usable as a source for nutrients? Or is it that you use what is culturally acceptable as 'food' in your area?

It's what's culturally acceptable, as I pointed out in a previous post

Quote:

Yes, but eating an animal doesn't reverse the damage that you're referring to either.

No, it doesn't. But it's about the mentality of wasting food being ok in the modern world. I don't agree with exploiting animals, and I also don't agree with wasting food. Eating perfectly good food that would otherwise be wasted doesn't hurt anyone, so I really don't see the proplem.

Quote:

Oh. Well, then. Animal welfare is only part of why I do not consume animal products.

Yes, animal welfare is only one part for me, too. I should use the word ethical instead. It's just that animal wellfare is what started it off for me.

Quote:

And I would simply want to throw up at the thought of eating even milk chocolate. So good luck on convincing yourself to eat something that ideologically you wouldn't eat!

I have no problems at all with the products themselves and have always liked them. The way in which they are obtained is the reason why I won't be buying them anymore (is now only products from dead animals).

In other words, if animal based products could be made without actual animals and be of the same quality, then I wouldn't even be on this board!

Quote:

Umm, do you have no out of town relatives? Or co-workers you don't know well? ...

Out of town reletives who come to visit are also people I have regular contact with, so they know, the other ones send cards. As for co-workers, they also just send cards. The people who need to know, know.

Quote:

I guess it's my bad that while reading with students in a first grade classroom twice a week, I never had the chance to set the teacher aside and let her know what I eat and don't eat. I guess I was just naive to expect that she wouldn't get me a little christmas present. BUT she did and was it not a great oversight on my part to never ask her to stop teaching her class for a moment so I could tell her that I don't eat dairy and explain what whey is.

Good point. Throwing perfectly good stuff away is still a no-no for me, though. Although I must admit I wouldn't like it one bit if I'd get something non-vegan/vegitarian, and can't give it away. It means I might have just as well bought the stuff myself
#60 Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good point. Throwing perfectly good stuff away is still a no-no for me, though. Although I must admit I wouldn't like it one bit if I'd get something non-vegan/vegitarian, and can't give it away. It means I might have just as well bought the stuff myself

My roommate didn't want the cocoa packets and oreos (cake like non vegan kind!), but I'm visiting home and I'm going to try to force it on my stepbrother or something. I definitely don't want to throw something away that someone else can use, I don't disagree with you there! I know a lot of people (we all do!), I'm sure I could give anything away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page