Tempeh? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 PM

In a moment of feeling adventurous, I bought a small package of tempeh and am now at a loss of what to do with it... any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually just had some tonight. I cooked some rice and steamed some carrots. Then I put a good amount of oil in a pan along with some soy sauce and heated it up. I cut the temph into little cubes and tossed it in the pan along with green pepper and an onion I had cut up into nice size pieces earlier along with some broccoli crowns. I added some white pepper at this point. Then I cooked the mixture on medium high for a bit until the vegetables started to soften and then I put in some fresh chopped garlic and cooked it a minute or two longer. I put the rice on a plate and dumped the mixture on top of it and served the carrots on the side just as they came out of the steamer. Yummy good stuff!.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow Maine Flaim your dinner sounds delicious!

I often make tempeh burgers - slice a burger sized piece off and fry it with onion and mushrooms, put them together in a bread roll with chili sauce and soy cheese if I have it at the time! So good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

I just started making a cold tempeh salad that I can keep in the fridge for a good week or so to use in pita pockets, on salads, etc. It's sort of like a "chicken" salad. Slice the tempeh and brown it on both sides in a non-stick skillet. Once browned, dice it up and mix it with diced carrots, diced celery, diced onion, vegan mayo, dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, curry, and turmeric. I just eyeball all the ingredients...it's delicious and makes enough for several meals.
#5 Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I always tend to marinate mine with a bit of soy, sesame oil and some fresh chilli. Leave for a while, then fry until crispy. I'm going to do that tonight actually.
#6 Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Simmer in apple or pineapple juice, drain and add to pineapple sweet-and-sour sauce. Put over rice.
#7 Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Tempeh sloppy joes is the easiest. My current obsession though is tempeh bacon. I use the marinade from Vegan Vittles but I use tempeh instead of the tofu suggested.
#8 Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to baste it with BBQ sauce and bake it.....Simple, huh?
#9 Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avarest View Post

In a moment of feeling adventurous, I bought a small package of tempeh and am now at a loss of what to do with it... any suggestions?

You buy Veganomicon!
#10 Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Ok, I tried buying tempeh prepackaged, is it supposed to have a white fuzzy type film? It looked moldy. I took it back and the next package had the same thing. Is this normal?
#11 Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM

oOo, such great ideas! I tried the BBQ one, but I felt like marinating it first would have been a good idea, it sort of had this wonky taste that didn't really mesh well with the BBQ... It's not bad stuff, but I guess it'll just take some getting used to. Maine Flaim, your idea sounds delicious!! I'll try that tomorrow.

Saishoku, mine looked the exact same, it sort of looked moldy or something, but then I looked up images of it online and saw that it generally does look like that thanks to the fermentation process.
#12 Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. a slight mold-like-looking stuff is fine. Simmering or poaching will temper the "fermented" taste a bit if you aren't a fan, I don't mind it, but some recipes work better with it...
#13 Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried stir frying tempeh with veggies and rice once, but I just couldn't eat the stuff. I don't know if I just really don't like tempeh or if I prepared it badly. I've never seen it in restaurants to try it, and I'm reluctant to try cooking it again, because I think it probably was the taste of the tempeh that I didn't like.

--Fromper

#14 Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Some tempeh can have sort of a bitter taste, if not properly prepared. It should be boiled or steamed for about 10 minutes before being browned or whatever. (I would imagine less time, if you are going to bake it.)

I usually have BBQ tempeh.

I cut the tempeh into strips, drop them in a pot with enough water to cover, then boil for 10 minutes. Take them out and pat dry. Make my bbbq sauce in a sauce pot or large skillet and leave that to warm and meld flavors, while I brown the tempeh strips, on each side, in a tad bit of oil.

I transfer them to my sauce and let it cook in there for another 10 minutes or so.... yummmm....
#15 Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I tried stir frying tempeh with veggies and rice once, but I just couldn't eat the stuff. I don't know if I just really don't like tempeh or if I prepared it badly. I've never seen it in restaurants to try it, and I'm reluctant to try cooking it again, because I think it probably was the taste of the tempeh that I didn't like.

--Fromper

'

Yeah, dont give up on it yet. Definately steam or poach it for about 10 mins before you cook it otherwise. It is sooo good!!
#16 Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I thinly slice it then pan cook it in soy sauce. Thats my bacon. YUMMY!!!!!

Des

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#17 Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

'

Yeah, dont give up on it yet. Definately steam or poach it for about 10 mins before you cook it otherwise. It is sooo good!!

I actually tried some that they had cooked at Whole Foods last weekend. It wasn't as disgusting as when I cooked it, but I still didn't think it was that great. I doubt if I'll bother with it again, unless I see it at a restaurant cooked in some really special way that seems interesting. And since I've never seen it in a restaurant before, I don't expect to any time soon.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page