Any good books?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Hello,

So i've been vegan for about a month now and so far it's started getting pretty easy. However I feel quite unmotivated and I think maybe need some new ideas and perspective and I very much need nutritional info. Sooooo does anyone have a good book that was kind of motivating and had nutritional advice and how to cope when people don't understand.

I heard Vegan Freak was good but has anyone actually read it?

I'm finally on holidays so have time to read LOTS buit I am really concerned about nutritional advice also because everything i read online is conflicting! I just want something easy to read but with solid advice!!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

"Becoming Vegan" is good. So is "Living Among Meat Eaters".
#3 Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM

I don't know about nutritional, but Animal Liberation by Peter Singer could be called motivational...or depressing...hard to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizemore101 View Post

I don't know about nutritional, but Animal Liberation by Peter Singer could be called motivational...or depressing...hard to say.

It is a mix of both. I cried A LOT when reading this book but I certainly never looked at animals/meat or dairy the same way. Because of that it was quite motivating.

What motivates me is having a good recipe book on hand. Once I started baking and cooking I became more motivated. Some good ones are (they don't have nutritional info unfortunately): vegan cupcakes take over the world, the joy of vegan baking and veganomicon. You Don't Need Meat is another good motivating book. Gives you lots of facts that you can use when dealing with meat eaters.
#5 Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

"Food For Life - How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life" by Dr Neal Barnard has been somewhat of a bible to me during my 13 yrs of veganism - a book I still pick up regularly. Alot of nutritional info and recipes too. He advocates veganism for optimal health and his book is based on very comprehensive research. I still use much of the information I've learned from that book when people draw me into arguments about health issues related to a vegan diet!
#6 Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I got Vegan Freak from the library, and it was done well. It came from an intellectual standpoint, not a free the whales or hippie standpoint... it was all from reason to action.

Not on nutritional info level, but on good things to cook, my new books I'm LOVING are: Veganomicon, Vegan With a Vengeance, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, and The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Between those, I can find just about anything I need. I do still turn to Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, for basic basic info, like how long to cook the average potato when baking, and at what temp do you roast oven fries, etc.
#7 Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM

i'm currently reading Diet For A New America by John Robbins.

it is the reason i finally decided to step it up and become vegan!

(i have been a vegetarian for 3 years now, and always made excuses as to why i'm not vegan, but now i'm converted!)
#8 Old 11-23-2008, 05:59 PM

So I ended up getting one of those the idiots guide to being vegan as the other NINE BOOKSHOPS!! i went to didn't have anything and the S.A.F.E store only had this one!! It's actually very good and it is helpful for loved ones who are concerned about your nutrition as it's very basic and not all in your face and graphic.

Yay!

x
#9 Old 11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Lovin' How it All Vegan and The Garden of Vegan right now. May get the third one. The recipes are really easy and good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page