The China Study - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Just wondering if people around here had heard of this It was a study comparing the health of office workers in rural China and America, which basically found that people who ate little or no animal protein were on avrage in much better health than those who did. I first read about this about two weeks ago when I was recovering from the flu and doing research on raw food and alkaline diets. I watched some videos about it online that motivated me to become vegan, I was formerly a lacto-ovo veggie and I already ate very little dairy and eggs because I knew they weren't perticularly good for me but rading and watching about the china study just gave me the extra little push to completly veganise my diet, I'm still sort of in transition and have slipped up and had products made with whey protein a couple of times and haven't asked about the ingredients about a couple of things that I probablly should have but I figure it's a learning process and I can only get better. So I was just wondering who on these boards had heard of the China study or even read the book -I havent yet and books have to be really good to not bore me,- and if it has influenced your veganism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't heard of it, but maybe you could post some of the links to the videos that you watched?

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#3 Old 11-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicl..._Study_II.html

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...udyII.hrs.html

Here is the data from the study:

http://www.nutrition.cornell.edu/chinaproject/

http://www.nutrition.cornell.edu/chi...t/results.html

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I read it after I became vegan and it was fascinating. It only influenced my veganism in the sense that it reinforced my decision and made me realise potential health benefits.

I intend to lend my copy to any people in my life who eat a lot of meat, but I haven't really come across any of those. My co-workers, family and friends who do eat meat all eat minimal amounts and eat vegetarian 4 or 5 days a week, so I don't want to force information on them, I will wait for them to come to me.
#5 Old 11-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a book as well. I've read it. Not bad, but I wouldn't use it as my sole source of information.
#6 Old 11-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

It's a book as well. I've read it. Not bad, but I wouldn't use it as my sole source of information.

Can I ask why?

I want to read that book and I have planned to order it, that's why I'm interested about it what ohter people thinks about it.
#7 Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you! I like things that confirm my choice to be a Vegan.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#8 Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome Keep up with the vegan thing!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virpukka View Post

Can I ask why?

I want to read that book and I have planned to order it, that's why I'm interested about it what ohter people thinks about it.

A few reasons.

1. Inconsistancies.

He criticises studies for suggesting all protein sources are the same, but then goes on to assume that all vegetarian sources are the same, for example.

2. Personal belief.

We don't grow as people if we only expose ourselves to things will will agree with.
#10 Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 AM

I have read most of this book, I thought it was a very interesting study but I havent had time to go into further reading on studies of this kind yet so I cant really say much about what I think of its accuracy. I think there are a lot of things that need to be clarified. It does also bring up some very good points about the amount of money for studies that come from the dairy and meat industries.

Id recommend reading it, but remember to keep an open mind as with all things
#11 Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I've read part of this book.

It's kind of hard to get through. I'm not a fan of books where the author writes as if he's truly speaking to you face to face. It's not very professional, kind of like it's juvenile in a way... not a BAD thing but it's a weird read to me. Might be because I was reading some thing totally different then jumped into the China Study... but eh, it's not bad.

and +1 for not using it as your sole info source, mostly because you shouldn't have just one info source for anything anyway.
#12 Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#13 Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been meaning to read it. I checked it out from the Library a couple years ago, but never managed to set the time aside to read it....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Essential reading for anyone interested in the subject.

Well written, fascinating at times, scary at others, and a darn good read.

If you haven't read the China Study, you're missing out on a big piece of general culture when it comes to nutrition and animal products.

READ IT!!!
#15 Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Incredible book, I must say!!!!
#16 Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I has got copy of China Study. it got has good info. but I have no read it yet. Tho one thinks it makes a good read nontheless.. for it is given good press.... Sometimes I press leaves in it too!...
#17 Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I've read part of this book.

It's kind of hard to get through. I'm not a fan of books where the author writes as if he's truly speaking to you face to face. It's not very professional, kind of like it's juvenile in a way... not a BAD thing but it's a weird read to me. Might be because I was reading some thing totally different then jumped into the China Study... but eh, it's not bad.

that was funny. Juvenille scientific study. what an awe inspiring endorsement j/k

I like an author to speak face to face, whilst I read back to back

Quote:
and +1 for not using it as your sole info source, mostly because you shouldn't have just one info source for anything anyway.

+1 ?
#18 Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

Thank you! I like things that confirm my choice to be a Vegan.

^^^^ in response to Doktormartini.

Absolutely, keep happy & motivated newbie/and/or vegan!

And don't the rest of us forget whilst telling the truth about what your opinion is, no be anyone too incredibly shunning of what is essentially good vegan substantiation material such as the China Study or whatever study.
#19 Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM

I have read it, but it didnt particularly stay in my memory. In the end it mainly states things that I already knew. It is not bad, though, but it didnt really draw me in.
#20 Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM

I've read it. I owned it, but I gave it to someone who needed it. Its a great way to get meat eaters (espically with diseases/sicknesses) to reconsider their diet and maybe think about how their diet is affecting their body and health. I work at a health food store and always make sure we have it in stock so that I can recommend it to people that come in with health problems. I think it is a great book. I tell people, "It's the solution to our health problems." I realize that veganism is really the solution to most of our health problems, but sometimes that word scares people, so I let the book bring that up. Highly recommended. But if you're looking for an thriller type book that pulls you in on the first page, this isn't it. But you should read it nonetheless, I think.
#21 Old 11-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I can't believe the amount of negative, ok not-exactly-positive reviews, about this incredible book.

Its brilliantly written, absolutely convincing, thoroughly interesting, not difficult to follow - in short an absolutely mind-blowing piece of research.

Amongst other things, what this book does that other nutritional studies consistently do wrong, is interpret data correctly. The book explains why other studies go wrong and why The China Study conclusions are correct.

My mother was my biggest critic of being a veg*n, but I said to her, just read this book and then decide. From being a confirmed meat-eater, she's now practically a veg*n.
#22 Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

When I reached my 20 year vegetarian anniversary I decided it was time to question my eating habits. I read many books, but for me The China Study was the one that convinced me to upgrade to vegan.
#23 Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

I just bought this book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
#24 Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I just bought this book last night and am enjoying it so far.
#25 Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^^ 4 wholly positive/ prospectively positive comments all in one line!!!

woohoo.
#26 Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

woohoo.

(the 2 people above, you have bought the book as a result of this thread or what? I think so?.... If this thread was not the only urge or source of inspiration to buy then what else can you say contributed to your buying of the book???.... I'm just curious!!....)
#27 Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

woohoo.

Kidding aside, the 2 people above, you have bought the book as a result of this thread or what?

I think so?....

If this thread was not the only urge or source of inspiration to buy then what else can you say contributed to your buying of the book???.... I'm just curious!!....
#28 Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade34 View Post

woohoo.

(the 2 people above, you have bought the book as a result of this thread or what? I think so?)

Hehe. Actually, it was mentioned in another thread, and since I've been interested in veganism recently, I decided to get informed.

I also really enjoyed Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Anyone here read it?
#29 Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade34 View Post

woohoo.

Kidding aside, the 2 people above, you have bought the book as a result of this thread or what?

I think so?....

If this thread was not the only urge or source of inspiration to buy then what else can you say contributed to your buying of the book???.... I'm just curious!!....

I've seen the book mentioned here a few times since I joined, and I just finally got around to buying it, as it sounded like interesting reading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page