Making Progress with Non-Vegan Wife - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

My wife and I were vegetarians for about 2 years before I decided to go Vegan. I've been a Vegan for going on 8 weeks now and loving it. Initially I thought that almost immediately my wife would join me as we both started down the "veggie" path for ethical reasons.

She didn't really say much about my change other than she supported my decision. I figured the best approach was no direct approach. As a result of my being Vegan there is never any cow's milk in the house because my wife is fine with drinking soy milk all the time. The other thing is that I have always been the "main" cook in the house so now all our meals are Vegan. Once and a while she will add some cheese to her dish afterward.

I really haven't said too much about whether or not she is going to make "the switch" or not, but she came home last night with a surprise. She bought shampoo and other assorted "shower/bathroom" stuff and it was all labeled "VEGAN." It was stuff she uses, not me, so that was really cool. The other thing is I've noticed she hasn't bought eggs in three weeks. So really she's just hanging on to the cheese, mostly when we go out to eat but only every so often at home. I think it's very cool!

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

that's awesome
#3 Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM

That's good news.

(You sound like a great husband to me as well btw.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Ankle Biter

I think your approach is wonderful!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay. Congrats!
#7 Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I think your approach is wonderful!

Thanks. I thought if I was too direct she may just sort of reject the idea as if it was a demand I was making. It's been strange though because we haven't really spoken about it and we usually talk about everything. I figured it was her own dicision to make on her own time. I also think she sees how happy I am about being Vegan and she's been liking the meals I've been cooking so that helps I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome news!

I am finding the same approach works for my fiance. He is an omni but he really doesn't eat anything like he used to. We have vegan products everywhere I can in the house, vegan ice creams and treats and he is just gradually discovering how good they all are. I am hoping one day he will at least go vegetarian but I would never push him to it.
#9 Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Right on!

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#10 Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM

yay!
#11 Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Good on you for going vegan and sounds like you'll soon be in a fully vegan household!!!
#12 Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susykat View Post

Good on you for going vegan and sounds like you'll soon be in a fully vegan household!!!

I'll have to start looking for a welcome mat with pictures of vegetables all over it that says

"Welcome to our Vegan Home"

#13 Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Though I think your approach is good, I have to say, if I was married and found my husband posting all over a message board about his "progress in getting me to go vegan" and assuming she will "make the switch". I would feel like he was being pretty underhanded and sneaky about the whole thing. Yes, just my gut impression.

You say you haven't talked about it? Weird, if you talk about everything else. Why haven't you brought it up? Not in a confrontational way, but complimenting the things you notice that she already IS doing... "Honey thanks for being willing to drink soymilk too, it makes this all easier for me...".

I hope she also gets support from you in the possibility that she NEVER makes the switch. You sound like you're assuming a lot without ever having talked about it.
#14 Old 11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh... and when you need it - here are Doormats you can customize...

http://www.doormatsandmore.com/Doorm...mats-Index.htm
#15 Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could have a husband that'd cook me yummy vegan food, goshdarnit...
#16 Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I hope she also gets support from you in the possibility that she NEVER makes the switch. You sound like you're assuming a lot without ever having talked about it.

I'm making the assumption based on the eight years we've been together and how much she loves living things. I'll share a little story. When we were in college I was walking up from one of my classes to meet her in the parking lot behind the library. It had been raining heavily the night before and into the morning. It was summer time and the rain force out a number of earthworms, huge earthworms.

As I approached the parking lot, I saw my wife (then girlfriend) walking back and forth across the parking lot, over to the edge where the grass begins and then back. Once I got close enough I figured out what she was doing. The sun had come out and she didn't want the earthworms that had crawled all the way out to the middle of the parking lot to dry out in the sun and die. I'm thinking it's a good shot she'll go vegan.

And of course I will totally support her decision not to go vegan, we've supported each other through all sorts of things over the years. My point of the post was I was happy that she was making a slow transition with out us really going back and forth Pro vs. Con about it. I said "I" was making progress simply because I really have put a good deal of effort into being creative with my cooking and spending a lot of time shopping so she may find it inviting. It's not at all sinister.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page