In charge of vegan meal on Friday - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Ok so I got kinda roped into this one but its MY fault 'cuz I volunteered

I am a new ovo-lacto veggie (a few weeks into it). While at a brunch at a restaurant with a church group I recently joined I realized the two girls sitting near by were vegans (mentioned the french toast incident under another post).

Anyway so on Halloween before we go out we are cooking dinner for the homeless. Its my first time doing it (they do it once a month). The dish that was going to be prepared is Jambalaya. I emailed the leader and volunteered to help with a vegan dish for the other people and the homeless who might be vegetarian or have seafood allergies/pork restrictions.

So now she has put me in charge! LOL (this woman CLEARLY doesn't know my cooking limitations). She said they usually buy plain pasta and red sauce (which they have done). I am going to bring brown rice pasta for one of the girls who is gluten intolerant. Is there anything i should look for in the sauce that isn't vegan friendly? I know gelatin isn't (which isnt in sauce anyway), and cheese and rennet. Am I missing anything? I am not a vegan although I eat partially vegan sometimes. They bought the sauce already so I will just buy another one if there is something wrong with it. I think there are certain colorings that aren't vegan too (though I don't know why they would be in there either).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Impeach the gangster

Have you thought about creating your own sauce?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Beginner

you should be fine, most red sauce for pasta is vegan, unless it has cheese in it or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Beginner

I have found some with anchovies.
#5 Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

In red sauce, unless there's meat or meat stock or cheese, (or anchovies as another poster suggested) I can't imagine what else wouldn't be vegan-friendly. I'd think anything that wasn't would be blatantly obvious in the list of ingredients. There shouldn't be anything too obscure in there.
#6 Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

There's always sugar, which some vegans care about more than others. If you want to make sure that nothing can possibly go wrong, find some without sugar (HFCS is vegan, though of questionable health value).
#7 Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! I am just trying to be sensitive to everyone's dietary needs and I figure better be neurotic, than not.

I would make my own sauce but I have to be there by 5 pm and bring my costume and I have a major deadline for an editing assignment that day (its the only day I can work on it) so I have no time to do it.

Pavut - I love your avatar - peas play a significant role in many of my meals- especially tonight
#8 Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Is there anything i should look for in the sauce that isn't vegan friendly? I know gelatin isn't (which isnt in sauce anyway), and cheese and rennet.

Gelatin and rennet aren't vegetarian, either. You do know that, right?
#9 Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Yes I do know gelatin isn't.... I heard what it was made out of

As for rennet, I thought it was something in cheese - like a component that maybe was used so even if cheese itself wasn't on a label and rennet was, it still wasn't vegan. I didn't know...I just found out WAY too much on wikipedia (I feel like throwing up now). Don't read about if if you know what it is because the description is way too detailed. Thankfully I havent been eating alot of cheese but how the heck am I supposed to know if something has rennet in it if, say, I have a slice of pizza or something. Oh man.

Thanks for the heads up....I appreciate it
#10 Old 10-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Pavut - I love your avatar - peas play a significant role in many of my meals- especially tonight

Thanks!
#11 Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

If you find jarred sauce that is vegan, you can always add some canned tomatoes to it to give the sauce a fresher, more home-made taste. I do that when I'm in a hurry and need a quick sauce. I always throw the tomatoes in a blender, because I don't like a chunky sauce, but you can use crushed tomatoes if that works for you. And you only need to heat the sauce through...it doesn't have to cook for any length of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page