Pickles [polysorbate 80] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Can anyone say definitively whether pickles are vegan or not? I've seen many different contradicting reports on several message boards/forums. If you don't know for sure, what are the ingredients i should be wary of that could possibly be in pickles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#3 Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i make my own pickles--so yes vegan. the only thing i see in commercial pickles is high fructose corn syrup--but if you are not opposed to that, then you are fine. with dill or not sweetish pickles, they dont have that. what kind of pickles are you looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM

I've always loved bread and butter pickles. Despite it's name, the only ingredient I'm concerned about is polysorbate 80 which again I've heard mixed ideas about. Other than that, all the other ingredients are perfect.
#5 Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

ACK, if someone comes up with a reason why pickles aren't OK, I'm going to be mortified.
#6 Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

ACK, if someone comes up with a reason why pickles aren't OK, I'm going to be mortified.

what about pickled onions?
#7 Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 PM

I have never even though that pickles might not be vegan. I eat jalapeno pickles a lot, I love them.
#8 Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately quite a lot of pickles, and pickled onions, have lactic acid in the juice, but you can find ones without, thankfully, because I love both pickles and pickled onions!

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#9 Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

Unfortunately quite a lot of pickles, and pickled onions, have lactic acid in the juice, but you can find ones without, thankfully, because I love both pickles and pickled onions!

And fortunately, lactic acid in most processed foods that contain it is not derived from lactose (milk sugar), but from bacterial fermentation of nondairy sources. But if you need to be 100% sure, mail the manufacturer.
#10 Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

what about pickled onions?

They're the only onions I like and I love pickles in a can, I guess it's the vinegar in the liquid and I love vinegar.
#11 Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM

I've never even gave thought to pickles not being vegan.
#12 Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusKelpilot View Post

They're the only onions I like and I love pickles in a can, I guess it's the vinegar in the liquid and I love vinegar.

Yum, the vinegar is nice hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

Woah, thanks, fan! I just went and checked... my pickled onions are ok... thank my lucky stars!!!! I LOVE pickled onions...
#13 Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I acccidently said can instead of jar.
#14 Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeriron View Post

I've always loved bread and butter pickles. Despite it's name, the only ingredient I'm concerned about is polysorbate 80 which again I've heard mixed ideas about. Other than that, all the other ingredients are perfect.

wikipedia says polysorbate 80 is made from oleic acid (which is in various animal and vegetable sources) and dehydrated sorbitol (a sugar alcohol). this seems to make it a 'maybe' depending on what the individual additive manufacturer made it from.

the vegan society puts it in the same classification (maybe vegan, maybe not).

i think the best plan would be to either:

a) contact the pickle people and ask them if their polysorbate 80 is vegetable derived, or animal derived (if they don't know, ask them for their suppliers contact info, so you can ask them).

b) try and find another brand of pickles thats made without this ingredient.
#15 Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Beginner

I agree - either call the manufacturer and ask whether their polysorbate is animal or plant, and also whether their natural flavors are animal or plant (you'd be amazed how often someone apparently thinks chicken stock will enhance flavors); or look for another brand that just doesn't have them. There's lots of pickles that don't have either of these.
#16 Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Get organic pickles because Polysorbate 80 is gross.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page