Oh no, bk? (BK veggie patty no longer vegan?)! :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Burger King may not have a vegan patty anymore...

Their website says they use these:

http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com...ily=363&id=323

Here's the site page saying what patty they use. I'm so sad now!!

http://www.bk.com/#menu=2,42,-1

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! I was under the impression their burger was vegan. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Their veggie burgers have always been Morningstar Farms, as far as I know.

--Fromper

#3 Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember discussing veggie burger options with a very very strict vegan friend (lifelong vegan) and she was loving their burger, and said she'd looked into it and it was DEFINITELY vegan. I've let her know what I just stumbled across too. I think it used to be a Boca burger of some kind?

In any case, that throws them out as an occasional stop on the highway. Whee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

When the BK Veggie was first released (as part of an agreement with PETA), the patty was Vegan, and the sandwich was mostly Vegan, provided you asked for no cheese, no mayo, except for a little trace dairy in the bun.

They changed their formulation like 6 months or a year after the product launch.
#5 Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Beginner

dude, who would want to go to burger king anyway?

then again it is cool that they did a deal with PETA
#6 Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Oh, I don't know many (any) ethical vegans who'll be eating at Burger King any time soon, but vegetarian and vegan options are at least a step in the right direction. Anything that helps to combat the perception that Veg* diets are "too hard" to actually practice is a good thing, IMO.
#7 Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
dude, who would want to go to burger king anyway?

I'm preparing for a trip, in a car, all day each way, this next month. I have 2 kids, they need somewhere to eat and play half way through that trip. There are only so many options. BK was looking good, because of that sandwich and the play area stuff. (we're talking in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska. There are no options)

Sigh sigh sigh. I'm not at all the eat out type. But sometimes you have to.
#8 Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM

I dont know what to do about exercise half way through, but you could pack veggie sandwhiches in a cooler.
#9 Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I cant even go to BK here, because they use beef fat oil in all their food, including the vege bugers (the onion rings were fryed in beef oil) its just gross, Ive never really liked BK
#10 Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post

I cant even go to BK here, because they use beef fat oil in all their food, including the vege bugers (the onion rings were fryed in beef oil) its just gross, Ive never really liked BK

Where do you live? I thought only McDonald's had blatantly non-veg fries, though someone said that Wendy's fries theirs in the same oil as the fried chicken patties.

--Fromper

#11 Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Subway is your friend. Also bring a cooler full of food and some easy snacks.
#12 Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe that any vegetarian, let alone vegan would trust the "veggie burger" at a place like Burger King. Sure I might trust the source ingredients, but to trust that it is prepared in a way that I'd approve of (that is, not drug through the grease of the million beef burgers before it) is beyond my abilities. I'd have to watch it through the entire process, and even then I'd be dubious.
#13 Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

You could try calling the town council office of the towns you'll be passing through around lunchtime. The clerk is usually someone who's lived in the town for years, and should be able to tell you where the parks with playgrounds are.

Planning is your friend. At the park, you can pull our your homemade grub and feel no pressure to buy over-processed junk because you want to use a play area.

I don't know what to tell you if it rains.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

You can also google all the restaurants in the towns your driving through. Then you can call them up and see what they could make you.
#15 Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

You can also google all the restaurants in the towns your driving through. Then you can call them up and see what they could make you.

That could work... if the price were right, and the play area were not a factor. I don't know of too many slow-food or family-style-non-fast-food restaurants that have an indoor playground. They'd still have to look for a park or something.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Dragon View Post

I can't believe that any vegetarian, let alone vegan would trust the "veggie burger" at a place like Burger King. Sure I might trust the source ingredients, but to trust that it is prepared in a way that I'd approve of (that is, not drug through the grease of the million beef burgers before it) is beyond my abilities. I'd have to watch it through the entire process, and even then I'd be dubious.

The veggie burgers at Burger King are microwaved, so they're not cooked on the same grill as the beef burgers. I don't eat there often, but when I'm travelling, it's nice to know that the option exists. Besides, it's sometimes good to eat at "normal" restaurants to prove to the omnis that it's possible to go veg and still be a "normal" person (whatever that means).

--Fromper

#17 Old 09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear McDonalds has a couple of good salads that are vegan if your order it without chicken. Makes for a pretty light lunch and it involves eating at McDonalds but they do have those indoor playgrounds.
#18 Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Subway is your friend. Also bring a cooler full of food and some easy snacks.

Is their veggie patty vegan?
#19 Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh also I think Taco Bell can be vegan if you omit the cheese and sour cream. I don't know if they have a playground though.
#20 Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

Oh also I think Taco Bell can be vegan if you omit the cheese and sour cream. I don't know if they have a playground though.

I've never seen one that did.

#21 Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

Is their veggie patty vegan?

As far as I know, most Subways use Morningstar Farms patties that aren't vegan, but I think it varies by location. But unlike other fast food places, at least you can get a veggie sandwich there, which is vegan (on the white bread only - I've heard their other breads are non-vegan ).

--Fromper

#22 Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

You could grab some subway veggie delights or some taco bell bean burritos (fresco style) and head over to a park.

We never really did the indoor playgrounds when we went on car trips when my kids were little. We would just have them run laps outside whenever we stopped (gas stations, fast food places, rest stops, etc.) My kids have always been easily entertained though.
#23 Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

The veggie burgers at Burger King are microwaved, so they're not cooked on the same grill as the beef burgers. I don't eat there often, but when I'm travelling, it's nice to know that the option exists. Besides, it's sometimes good to eat at "normal" restaurants to prove to the omnis that it's possible to go veg and still be a "normal" person (whatever that means).

--Fromper

They are only microwaved (or supposed to be) if you request them to be. ((shudder)).

bekajoi, as mentioned, the BK burger did used to be vegan (though not the bun), but it was changed to a supposedly better tasting one ages ago, maybe 3 or 4 years.

I'd vote for a cooler of food, and some hunting for a playground.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#24 Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

We may end up bringing snacky stuff to eat (crackers, hummus, carrot sticks, fruit) and eat at a rest area. Some of them do have equipment for climbing on, but at least they have room to run and play. I know ONE has a duck pond, along the way, but forget which direction I have to be going to get into it. (Only one side of the interstate's stops is like this, for that rest area)

I think I did that last time, actually, to save on money, come to think of it. Not sure how my husband would feel about it, but whatever, I'll just tell him it's cheaper, LMAO. I'm paying for the trip out of my extra income, and he can deal :P
#25 Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM

I was just coming to say that some rest stops have swings/slides. They also normally have a big area to walk your dogs at, which is nice for people to walk around in and strecth their legs.
#26 Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

We may end up bringing snacky stuff to eat (crackers, hummus, carrot sticks, fruit) and eat at a rest area. Some of them do have equipment for climbing on, but at least they have room to run and play. I know ONE has a duck pond, along the way, but forget which direction I have to be going to get into it. (Only one side of the interstate's stops is like this, for that rest area)

I think I did that last time, actually, to save on money, come to think of it. Not sure how my husband would feel about it, but whatever, I'll just tell him it's cheaper, LMAO. I'm paying for the trip out of my extra income, and he can deal :P

If you can't remember where all the rest stops are along that particular stretch, call the state's tourism bureau. If they don't have a map identifying rest stops and the equipment available there, they should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.

Seriously, take advantage of these people. Their jobs are to give people info like this. Have no fear!

#27 Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm an ethical vegetarian, but I purchase the BK veggie burger when the opportunity arises. It isn't that great, and I can't say I'm dying for fast food, but it's the only way I get a vote as the consumer. Why do we make such a fuss about wanting vegetarian options, then scoff when they're offered? We have to let them know there's a demand. It's really unfortunate that it isn't vegan, though.

Anyway, if you want to stop I vote for Taco Bell. Does anyone know if those cinnamon twists are veg-friendly?
#28 Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM

if you have a GPS, most of them can have options to find the nearest rest stop, resturant, ect.
#29 Old 09-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Your munchkins are little enough that just some place to run around like maniacs is valuable, even if there's no play area. You can throw in a ball or frisbee (if the older one's into that), etc. and you're set. Don't forget to run around with them, it's a great way to relieve that long-journey stress.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#30 Old 09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Wendy's also has baked potatoes and salads.

As fromper said, their fries may now be cooked in the same oil as meat products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page