Traveling Vegan! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 AM

Hello everyone! I am new here yet I decided to bypass the intro thing and jump right into things! I am really new to veganism but I don't think I will ever turn back now! I am really set in my ways and thrilled that I made this choice!

Anyway, on to my question! Is anyone out there a big time traveler!?! Next summer I am going to be flying over to Spain, Italy, France and Scotland and I am kinda wondering what it will be like to be a vegan there. I have been to Scotland before but I wan't even a vegetarian then (I became one right after I went home though because my cousin up there was one). I have never been to the other places though and I am concerned about things like reading lables, eating out, etc. Is it doable!?! Do you have to mainly survive on fruits and veggies!?! Just kinda curious about gathering up some ideas now in preparation for later.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

While you are at it - I'd love to hear any suggestions about Russia and Mongolia. I think I'll handle China, Germany and the Czech republic okay.
#3 Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Banned

Scotland = seriously easy to be vegan

France = very easy in Paris, not so easy outside of Paris

Italy = Easy in the big cities, less so in smaller towns.

Spain = Easy in Barcelona, less so elsewhere.

Happy Cow is your friend: http://www.happycow.net/europe/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin84 View Post

While you are at it - I'd love to hear any suggestions about Russia and Mongolia. I think I'll handle China, Germany and the Czech republic okay.

When I was in Moscow years ago I was staying in student accomodations and had access to a kitchen so I cooked my own food after shopping in markets and excellent bakeries. I still miss the bread there.

St Petersburg has loads of veggie restaurants now.
#5 Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear Moscow has some good veg restaurants, too.

I can say that in Spain (I wasn't veg when I lived there but didn't much care for meat), that as Mr Falafel said Barcelona should be fine but other places should be difficult. Ham is the basis for most meals. I'd suggest checking out the Spain thread under 'other countries' in the location forum. There's not much there but there are a few ideas.

If I remember, France and Italy use a lot of meat and dairy. I don't remember a lot of egg, though. So it might be tough, but if you're willing to eat a lot of salads that should help And when I was in France we were trying to be cheap so instead of going to restaurants we'd pop in a supermarket and grab a few things, then find a nice place (like the plaza in front of Notre Dame) to eat.
#6 Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 AM

We went travelling round France a few months ago. It's not too difficult if you have access to cooking facilities, if you don't then you should still be OK so long as you can get to a big supermarket every so often (though you will be eating a lot of bread, paté and tabbouleh...). The full details are here:

http://veganfolkie.blogspot.com/2008...in-france.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page