VeggieBoards banner

Oreos Vegan or Not!??!?

24K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  affter333 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Ive got a pack of oreos right here and on the ingredients list;

DRIED WHEY (FROM MILK)

on that first link I cant see it saying milk either, thats strange, Im in the UK by the way, maybe thts why its different?

I can write out the whole ingrediants list if you would like.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

Are you sure that's name brand oreos? Where are you from? and when did you buy the ones you read that on?
Yes im sure they are OREOs
.......and they were brought about 3 hours ago

Im in the UK, they definitely say MILK in the ingredients list, thats lucky you got the vegan ones, shame Uk's aren't.

#12 ·
Unfortunately that list is not entirely accurate and does list non-vegan things from time to time. It even says on their site "*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

You can also refer to this list PETA maintains of food that is "accidentally" vegan. Skim through it, and you might be surprised at some of the stuff they list. Just keep in mind that this doesn't replace the need to also look at ingredients... Recipes do change periodically.

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/
If they just say "chocolate" but don't list the actual ingredients of the chocolate that is where the milk might be hiding in the "non-milk" oreos.

#13 ·
Unfortunately that list is not entirely accurate and does list non-vegan things from time to time. It even says on their site "*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients."

Quote:

You can also refer to this list PETA maintains of food that is "accidentally" vegan. Skim through it, and you might be surprised at some of the stuff they list. Just keep in mind that this doesn't replace the need to also look at ingredients... Recipes do change periodically.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I know. That's why I said that ingredients still need to be read. That list is to get a idea of what may be vegan.

#15 ·
There used to be some regional variations, even within the US and Canada. Seriously, there was some knock-down thread where people were fighting about the veganacity of Oreos. It was brutal. Now, there are all of the different sizes and shapes and flavors too.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

There used to be some regional variations, even within the US and Canada. Seriously, there was some knock-down thread where people were fighting about the veganacity of Oreos. It was brutal. Now, there are all of the different sizes and shapes and flavors too.
This is exactly it. I remember being in Canada and talking to a guy from Mobile. He was upset Oreos weren't vegan and I was saying "yes they are!" Then Golden Oreos were vegan or weren't, I forget it's all confusing now. What it comes down to is that you always have to read the ingredients list!

ETA: You shouldn't be eating Oreos anyways, they're bad for you

(I should take my own advice
)

#17 ·
Quote:

i was pleasantly surprised to find Pillsbury crescent rolls on that list,

and even more ecstatic after confirming the ingredients first hand.

SWEET!!

#19 ·
Don't believe what any list says. Call or write the company and ask yourself. If sugar is listed, as just sugar they can go bakc and forth from char sugar to not and vice versa.

Peta's list is not a viable list in my opinion especially since the qualify it with there might be traces of animal ingredients. Stick with organic foods by smaller companies and call them to ask them about their ingredients.

IMHO, regardless of the ingredients listed on the package, oreo's by nabisco are NOT vegan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.