Oreos Vegan or Not!??!? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#31 Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I had some Starburst here, for the first time in years! The Skittles aren't vegan though, as they have shellac in them. Blech.

Oh hmm... would that be considered a "glazing agent"? I don't remember seeing it specifically listed on the label, and when I look up the ingredients now that's all I see that's suspicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Beginner

IMHO regardless of veganacity... Oreos are just bad for ya. Tasty though, but I don't want to put some polysyllabic, unpronouncable, unrecognizable ingredient in my tummy.

And... you'd be surprised what other things contain shellac! That's just... isn't that the stuff we used in art class to paste things together??? Ewww.

Although... I did hear Nutter Butters were vegan. Too bad I don't like those and don't have a package handy.
#33 Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

This same confusion happened to me when I was still eating Mentos mints... The stupid package ingredients were consistently "gellan gum", but APPARENTLY they have gelatin in them or else they wouldn't have the same reaction upon being dropped in a bottle of freshly-opened diet pepsi. *Grr* Thank you, Mythbusters... lol

What is it about mislabled ingredients??

Also... Nutter Butters couldn't possibly be vegan... could they?? I would love it if they were, but, usually something with milk chocolate will indeed contain la leche...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Also... Nutter Butters couldn't possibly be vegan... could they?? I would love it if they were, but, usually something with milk chocolate will indeed contain la leche...

Regular Nutter Butters don't contain any chocolate. They're just peanut butter sandwhich cookies.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/./Brands...uct=4400004915

Quote:
Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PEANUT BUTTER (ROASTED PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, HYDROGENATED RAPESEED, COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, SALT), SOYBEAN OIL, ROLLED OATS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, SALT, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

They do have a new type of Nutter Butter though, that's covered in milk chocolate.
#35 Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

fyvel...the last time I checked a bag was before Christmas, I think. The ones at our local shop had shellac specifically listed. I tried to look on Mars UK's site just now, but I can't seem to find Skittles there.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#36 Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 AM

I don't have any oreos at the moment, but the last time I checked I'm pretty sure I discovered that the cookie part was vegan, but the cream was not. I'll have to double check it I suppose. Newman=o's are vegan though, and they're tastier.

[newman=o's ingredients]

Organic Unbleached Flour, Organic Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Organic Palm Oil, Canola Oil (Expeller Pressed), Organic Cocoa, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Organic Unsweetened Chocolate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, (an Emulsifier)
#37 Old 09-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ I have to second that... they're not exactly health food but I'd much rather put Newman O's in my body than Oreos... whether the latter are vegan or not. I prefer to avoid high fructose corn syrup, which Oreos have, and I always like to go organic whenever possible
#38 Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

How about the enriched flour oreos has? Enriched flour is not vegan... Newman's ones are vegan and yummy.
#39 Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Enriched flour can be perfectly vegan.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#40 Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had some Starburst here, for the first time in years! The Skittles aren't vegan though, as they have shellac in them. Blech.

Yeah. it's a shame, cause they were vegan up until about a year and a half ago.
#41 Old 09-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

So, like 30 minutes ago, I was at the store at checked out the Skittles. There was no shellac! There was however E120, which is carmine/cochineal.

#42 Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

manufacturers just like to screw with our heads, right?
#43 Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a game. *nods*
#44 Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

fyvel...the last time I checked a bag was before Christmas, I think. The ones at our local shop had shellac specifically listed. I tried to look on Mars UK's site just now, but I can't seem to find Skittles there.

I found the ingredients listed on wikipedia but who knows how accurate that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Yeah. it's a shame, cause they were vegan up until about a year and a half ago.

Maybe the ones I bought were just old

Quote:

So, like 30 minutes ago, I was at the store at checked out the Skittles. There was no shellac! There was however E120, which is carmine/cochineal.

*tries to remember E120* I always get confused with those numbers. It may very well have been listed on the ones I bought but I would have been clueless about it. Oh well either way I won't be buying any more Skittles, even if they were vegan. Totally not even worth the calories.
#45 Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I remember looking before, because if they were vegan, I was going to get some as stocking stuffers. Wikipedia has a good bit about Enumbers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number.

#46 Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I remember looking before, because if they were vegan, I was going to get some as stocking stuffers. Wikipedia has a good bit about Enumbers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number.

Why don't they just say what it actually is instead of hiding it with a number?
#47 Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It drove me crazy for a bit when we first moved, but I think the idea is good. There are so many different languages in Europe, that it's easier to just use the numbers and then everyone knows the score.

#48 Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had some Starburst here, for the first time in years!

right before going vegan i binged on starbursts so i wouldn't get cravings
#49 Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Beginner

The oreo I saw in Barbados said it contained dried milk or something too. I can remember seeing that and not getting oreos because of this. I am allergic to dairy so that is why I check even more for these things.
#50 Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 PM

I was reading on peta that in the UK oreo's are not vegan.
#51 Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 PM

I wonder if the oreos' in Australia are vegan?
#52 Old 09-03-2016, 05:20 PM

Oreos are not vegan. Regardless of anything else you hear, the sugar used in Oreo cookies is called Purasource Certified Organic Sugar. Since organic crops are grown with manure from animals in cages, Oreo cookies sadly are not vegan. Nor is any product made with organic ingredients. Just a head's up.
#53 Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hesslegrave View Post
Oreos are not vegan. Regardless of anything else you hear, the sugar used in Oreo cookies is called Purasource Certified Organic Sugar. Since organic crops are grown with manure from animals in cages, Oreo cookies sadly are not vegan. Nor is any product made with organic ingredients. Just a head's up.
From caged animals? Specifically caged animals? Sources?
So exactly where do you purchase your food?
And where did you get the info that Oreos use organic sugar? That's news to everyone...
#54 Old 09-04-2016, 06:31 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post
Why don't they just say what it actually is instead of hiding it with a number?
The argument might have been that the numbers take up less space on a label. However, my silly search attempts could not prove that. Sorry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#55 Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM
99% Vegan

Concerning Sugar, I found a good article on it over at vrg.org. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...sue4_sugar.php

What my recommendations are concerning anything that could contain sugar, is to stick to packages that claim to be vegan on the label. This way we can support the vegan companies out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#56 Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
Concerning Sugar, I found a good article on it over at vrg.org. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...sue4_sugar.php

What my recommendations are concerning anything that could contain sugar, is to stick to packages that claim to be vegan on the label. This way we can support the vegan companies out there.
unless it's targeted towards vegans, or an organic product, the sugar usually comes from different sources, so sometimes beet, sometimes processed cane-in the U.S. at least
Oreos in America have always responded that way which is why I wonder where James Hesslegrave got that organic info.
#57 Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
unless it's targeted towards vegans, or an organic product, the sugar usually comes from different sources, so sometimes beet, sometimes processed cane-in the U.S. at least
Oreos in America have always responded that way which is why I wonder where James Hesslegrave got that organic info.
I do know that a very strict vegan, who wants a 100% Vegan life-style, will not want to eat anything that had animal on it. But not all vegans are that way. I am definitely not that way or I would starve to death where I live. Farming state, and I am rubbish at gardening so far, but am improving. There is hope!

Here is an interesting article I found. He is not vegan, but does illustrate very well the whole "eating out vegan" dilemna at vegan restaurants. blogspot post. In short, the vegan restaurants he had interviewed, often did not know if the vegetables were made using manure or not. And, one restaurant could not find a Vegan farm that produced enough vegetables for their needs.

Allergic99%Vegan
#58 Old 09-13-2016, 01:34 PM

The ores in England are definitely vegan
#59 Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
and I thought it was the bone char from non organic sugar...

All we are is dust in the wind
#60 Old 09-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Since organic crops are grown with manure from animals in cages, Oreo cookies sadly are not vegan. Nor is any product made with organic ingredients. Just a head's up.

All soil contains the debris of dead animals - this is how nutrients are recycled.

As far as manure from caged animals is concerned, what do you propose be done with it?

Unless we grow all crops hydroponically, we are going to continue to grow crops in soil that contains animal debris. It is still vegan.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page