VeggieBoards banner

Oreos Vegan or Not!??!?

24K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  affter333 
#1 ·
#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by insan0r View Post

Oh man, I have to check that ASAP. Hopefully they are vegan in switzerland - 'cause I love Oreos

They are not, just checked it over google, they contain whey...
On the website I found they said they contain whey here, but I check the package every time I buy them and they don't, so you may want to just read the label at the store.

#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Well, the UK gets vegan starburst so we're even :p
When I was in the Caribbean I saw Skittles from the UK - gelatin free. We bought a big container of them. They weren't as good as I remembered (funny how that happens, huh?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLafonzx505 View Post

... don't they have processed sugar in them??
Processed sugar doesn't always necessarily mean that it's filtered through bone char.. at least I don't think it does.

Some of us lesser vegans just eat the sugar and don't worry about it

#29 ·
I had some Starburst here, for the first time in years! The Skittles aren't vegan though, as they have shellac in them. Blech.

#31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I had some Starburst here, for the first time in years! The Skittles aren't vegan though, as they have shellac in them. Blech.
Oh hmm... would that be considered a "glazing agent"? I don't remember seeing it specifically listed on the label, and when I look up the ingredients now that's all I see that's suspicious.

#32 ·
IMHO regardless of veganacity... Oreos are just bad for ya. Tasty though, but I don't want to put some polysyllabic, unpronouncable, unrecognizable ingredient in my tummy.

And... you'd be surprised what other things contain shellac! That's just... isn't that the stuff we used in art class to paste things together??? Ewww.

Although... I did hear Nutter Butters were vegan. Too bad I don't like those and don't have a package handy.

#33 ·
This same confusion happened to me when I was still eating Mentos mints... The stupid package ingredients were consistently "gellan gum", but APPARENTLY they have gelatin in them or else they wouldn't have the same reaction upon being dropped in a bottle of freshly-opened diet pepsi. *Grr* Thank you, Mythbusters... lol

What is it about mislabled ingredients??

Also... Nutter Butters couldn't possibly be vegan... could they?? I would love it if they were, but, usually something with milk chocolate will indeed contain la leche...

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Also... Nutter Butters couldn't possibly be vegan... could they?? I would love it if they were, but, usually something with milk chocolate will indeed contain la leche...
Regular Nutter Butters don't contain any chocolate. They're just peanut butter sandwhich cookies.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/./Brands...uct=4400004915

Quote:
Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PEANUT BUTTER (ROASTED PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, HYDROGENATED RAPESEED, COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, SALT), SOYBEAN OIL, ROLLED OATS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, SALT, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.
They do have a new type of Nutter Butter though, that's covered in milk chocolate.

#35 ·
fyvel...the last time I checked a bag was before Christmas, I think. The ones at our local shop had shellac specifically listed. I tried to look on Mars UK's site just now, but I can't seem to find Skittles there.

#36 ·
I don't have any oreos at the moment, but the last time I checked I'm pretty sure I discovered that the cookie part was vegan, but the cream was not. I'll have to double check it I suppose. Newman=o's are vegan though, and they're tastier.

[newman=o's ingredients]

Organic Unbleached Flour, Organic Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Organic Palm Oil, Canola Oil (Expeller Pressed), Organic Cocoa, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Organic Unsweetened Chocolate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, (an Emulsifier)

#37 ·
^^ I have to second that... they're not exactly health food but I'd much rather put Newman O's in my body than Oreos... whether the latter are vegan or not. I prefer to avoid high fructose corn syrup, which Oreos have, and I always like to go organic whenever possible

#41 ·
So, like 30 minutes ago, I was at the store at checked out the Skittles. There was no shellac! There was however E120, which is carmine/cochineal.

#44 ·
Quote:

fyvel...the last time I checked a bag was before Christmas, I think. The ones at our local shop had shellac specifically listed. I tried to look on Mars UK's site just now, but I can't seem to find Skittles there.
I found the ingredients listed on wikipedia but who knows how accurate that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Yeah. it's a shame, cause they were vegan up until about a year and a half ago.
Maybe the ones I bought were just old

Quote:

So, like 30 minutes ago, I was at the store at checked out the Skittles. There was no shellac! There was however E120, which is carmine/cochineal.
*tries to remember E120* I always get confused with those numbers. It may very well have been listed on the ones I bought but I would have been clueless about it. Oh well either way I won't be buying any more Skittles, even if they were vegan. Totally not even worth the calories.

#47 ·
It drove me crazy for a bit when we first moved, but I think the idea is good. There are so many different languages in Europe, that it's easier to just use the numbers and then everyone knows the score.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.