Junk food vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems like most of the vegans I've met eat nothing but junk. They live on french fries, cookies and coke. How on earth is that even possible? If I eat junk food for more than a day, I feel really ill.

I think a balanced vegan diet is important. No wonder I keep bumping into ex-vegans

Do you think of yourself as a healthy or unhealthy vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It really depends on the day for me. Some days though, I find myself too busy to really do anything good for myself until I get home in the evening and have a minute to relax. It makes me feel bad when I'm so hungry I have to run and grab something from the veg joint just so I can continue working Of course on days that I'm working in the kitchen, I never come across this problem

In short, I'm much healthier than someone on the SAD, but like most I've got my moments.
#3 Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink soda, use any artificially sweeteners or colors, no partially hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup.

I eat a mostly whole foods, all plant based diet.

There's a great thread that was closed which showcases *healthy* eating.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Here is is! https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=53688

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty unhealthy

I drink too much coffee. I don't drink fizzy drinks much at all any more, but I am guilty of drinking too much juice and not enough water. I hardly ever eat puddings/desserts/chocolate/cookies etc, but I eat way too much beige food and not enough vegetables.

That said, that's usually when I'm on the go or in a rush, plenty of my evening meals are homecooked, filled with veg, and quite balanced It's breakfasts (skipped, or cereal, or something fiendishly unhealthy like jelly/Jell-O or vegan ice cream), lunches (almost always shop-bought pasta salad) and snacks (refined-carb-alicious) that let me down.
#6 Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 AM

I have my days. Last Monday when my husband left, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to see him for 8 months... it was most definately an ice cream, cookie, and potato chip day for me.

Usually I'm pretty healthy, although I could stand to eat more veggies.
#7 Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Overall healthy, and definitely not a junk food vegan.

Not a perfect vegan dieter though.

I do know the nutrition facts, and try to consider them whenever possible.

No soda except the occasional Bionade for me either, and mainly whole foods, mostly prepared from scratch. But not always and there are some vegan convenience foods available now even in Germany, and days when I come home from work late and/or am just too lazy. Also, I simply love to eat, incl. stuff like cupcakes and chocolate

I would assume that a junk food vegan (friesatarian?) is likelier on the road to ex-vegan than anyone else, even if convinced of animal rights and veganism, because one cannot subsist on junk and even just withstand a non-vegan world, let alone promote veganism, in the long run.

A vegan perfectionist on the other hand, who would never eat anything that does not fit perfectly into his daily nutrient requirements, might be an ex-vegan rather sooner than later too, because mainly rotating around ones diet does not seem very sustainable or productive either. Of course these are extremes, and it is very well possible to be a healthy eater without rotating around diet.

So I guess being a happy vegan on dietary middle ground (vegan, of course, but not obsessed over health food or junk food) is best after all.
#8 Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Junk food vegan is my middle name (so it's Daniela Bobo Junk Food Vegan Hawthorpe Sr.).

I think it's a good thing that people like me exist, because many omnis do want to eat a lot of junk food, and so they want to eat those greasy, salty goodies even after they've given up animal products. That's when I enter the scene, with open arms, my hands dripping with vegetable oil, potato chips falling from my mouth, saying "you are welcome, my friends, you are welcome!"

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I go through stages... sometimes I have chips and hummus for dinner. Sometimes I have sauteed veggies and brown rice. Depends a lot on how I'm feeling. I do definitely make an effort though.

I'd say vegans are no different than omnivores... most people enjoy junk food regularly that I've met.
#10 Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

im in the middle.i love my cookies/cake/chips and i love my spinach/beans/fruits.
#11 Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I tend to make a large meal and few other things when I feel ambitious so I have dinner one night covered and then lunch the next. My breakfast is usually fruit, but in between all that I sneak the occaisional soy icecream, or chips (A girl's gotta live). Lunch and dinners are my grains, veggies, and meat substitute times.
#12 Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fairly healthy eater. By that, I mean: I eat a reasonable amount of fresh fruits and veggies, stick to whole-grain bread and pasta, avoid soda/ junk food/sweets, blah blah...

But that said, because I'm good most of the time, I don't feel bad about cutting loose occasionally and eating something really junky. In fact I think I enjoy it much more because it's the exception more than the rule.
#13 Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Penguin View Post

I'm a fairly healthy eater. By that, I mean: I eat a reasonable amount of fresh fruits and veggies, stick to whole-grain bread and pasta, avoid soda/ junk food/sweets, blah blah...

But that said, because I'm good most of the time, I don't feel bad about cutting loose occasionally and eating something really junky. In fact I think I enjoy it much more because it's the exception more than the rule.

I agree with this.

I try to eat as whole as possible. I cook a meal and it usually comes with me to work, so I don't have to rely on fast food or junk food for lunch while at work.

That being said, every once in a while I'd like a sno cone, or I'll eat a pb&j with potato chips. (HFCS and greasy goodness!)

But because I do eat very well so often, I don't really worry about those times that I do happen to eat junk food.
#14 Old 08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat a pretty healthy diet. I eat lots of whole foods (I'll have some fake meat or fake cheese products occasionally.) I rarely eat chips or any kind of prepackaged snack food. I make my own cookies and treats so I know what's in them.

My only big weakness is diet soda.
#15 Old 08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Junk food vegan is my middle name (so it's Daniela Bobo Junk Food Vegan Hawthorpe Sr.).

I think it's a good thing that people like me exist, because many omnis do want to eat a lot of junk food, and so they want to eat those greasy, salty goodies even after they've given up animal products. That's when I enter the scene, with open arms, my hands dripping with vegetable oil, potato chips falling from my mouth, saying "you are welcome, my friends, you are welcome!"

You really should participate in the next Vegan Snack Exchange

(but yeah, I do realise you won't)
#16 Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

You paint quite a picture! I've only just completed my 1st week as a full-fledged vegan. Slight poverty has probably made that first week not as balanced as it should have been (teachers around here don't get paid in the summer). But, pay day will be back again soon, and I have the shopping list all planned out with nutritious goodies!
#17 Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Healthy! Even before I became vegan I was a STRICT healthnut, nothing with icky ingredients ever entered my mouth. I carry this book by Ruth Winter around, it's about the bad ingredients and their secret names.
#18 Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit drinking soda when I was 9 and I HATE fast food, hard to be vegan and go there, anyway.
#19 Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM

I consider myself a healthy vegan. I don't abolish junk food entirely, but I eat it pretty rarely. Actually, if I munch out on potato chips for a while I start to get a stomach ache. Junk food just doesn't make me feel good. It's so funny because before I was vegan I would eat a ridiculous amount of junk food, and pretty unhealthy. I feel so much better all the time now that I'm eating healthy! I eat fruit every morning, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains for my other meals. Also, I definitely make a conscious effort to get enough iron, calcium, b12 etc.
#20 Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM

I love my vegan biscuits... I think I eat them just a little bit too much. lol
#21 Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I manage to eat a pretty healthy diet.

I'm in college and I have to purchase a meal plan, but I make sure my food is still healthy. usually I have stir-fried veggies w/ brown rice or a hummus wrap. There aren't really any vegan breakfast foods so I usually have either cereal w/ almond milk, oatmeal, or granola w/ soy yogurt. I don't eat fried foods or any soda and artificial sweetners freak me out! I also find a way to put flax oil in something throughout my day. I stay away from regular sugar as much as possible and have fruit as desserts and snacks. But.. every now and then I get a vegan cinnamon roll from the coffee shop by my school.
#22 Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM

I'm a vegetarian myself but I knew one girl who was a vegan who had to supplement her diet with lots of pills. she wouldn't eat Altoids be cause they had gelatin in them. But I think her need to supplement may have stemmed from some other unrelated ailment. However some of the other vegans I know eat healthy home cooked meals.
#23 Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I would say I eat a pretty healthy diet
#24 Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

This morning my body would have said no I'm no where near healthy. I think it was the hot sauce, vodka, and tomator juice that got me.

-like i said, everyone has their moments.
#25 Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Beginner

when i cook or go to my university's dining hall i eat very healthy, tons of veggies, and very balanced. but when i'm out with omni friends i like to eat junk food, to show them that not all vegans eat is tofu and beans (not that thats bad)

also i bake A LOT. i'm always baking delicious vegan cookies and cakes
#26 Old 08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Penguin View Post

This is pretty similar to my approach. Since adopting a vegan diet, I've found I really can't tolerate the junky stuff as much as I used to. That said, I'm known to go nuts with fries on occasion. I make my own cookies and other sweet treats as well.
#27 Old 08-30-2008, 02:48 AM

What kind of vegan eats a lot of cookies and soda? Unless they bake their own cookies, or buy actual vegan friendly soda, because that'd be pretty expensive and time consuming to bake and buy that stuff.
#28 Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegans just have fewer choices so by default we often end up eating healthier food.

That said, I would not say I am a shining example of healthy vegan eating. I probably eat too much processed soy and I hate fruit. I love vegan cookies and desserts so I indulge way too much - but I love vegetables so I think I make up for some of my bad habits.
#29 Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to supplement an otherwise healthy diet with coconut milk ice cream and cookies
#30 Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't made it to the 3 month mark yet, but I'm mostly a healthful food eater - except for having a small portion control issue, as I did before deciding to go vegan, so no change there.

I grew up where fresh fruit was almost a delicacy (our Christmas stockings were stuffed with apples and clementines) and mainly root vegetables were available in stores, but my mother was very health conscious and a great cook so I have always loved "real" foods. I don't think there is a vegetable, fruit, grain or legume that I dislike.

My big problem is when I travel and/or eat out. Travelling is fine if I have access to a kitchen and basic staples or have a small stockpile of healthy ready-to-eat food (fresh fruit, trail mix, imagine soup packs, etc.). Eating out is usually adequate at a non-fast-food restaurant, but it's sort of like trying to live off MREs - it'll keep you going, but extended use results in nasty digestive issues. This is when I start feeling deprived of "real" food and am tempted by junk food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page