Vegan hair products for super-curly hair? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I know there are lots of hair product threads, but I need help for my specific hair type. I'm running out of my pre-vegan stuff and want to get the correct replacements.

Right now I'm using a salon purchased olive-oil based shampoo and conditioner. (Unfortunately, the label only says "finished product not tested on animals". Big red flag there.) I also use leave-in conditioner and should (but usually forget) do regular hot oil treatments. To make it worse, I recently cut my hair really short as I decided to go natural with my colour. Short hair = no weight = intense multi-directional curl.

If this sounds like over-kill to you then you either (a) don't have really-curly-frizzy-when-it's-humid hair OR (b) love the clown hair look.

If this sounds like your routine, please let me know what you are using. Pretty please. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Giovanni is a GREAT line.

Smooth as Silk, 50/50, Direct Leave-In Conditioner and Nutrafix for deep conditioning, even overnight are great. Straight Fast! is a product that helps straighten curls for the days you want it straighter, Frizz Be Gone to keep frizzies away works well.

I love the entire line.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My hair is naturally frizzy and curly. I use Giovanni too. It works okay and is vegan so I stick with it. The Frizz Be Gone doesn't do a thing for me. But my hair is extremely hard to find products for as I am multiracial so it wasn't a surprise. Maybe it will work better for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM

you can try Max Greene Alchemy, too. I have fine hair and my hubby has super curly hair and it seems to work great for both of us.

Good luck!
#5 Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Ouidad's products are excellent. The website says they do not test on animals. I'm not sure about the ingredients in all of their products, however. I'm bad with understanding complicated ingredients.

They definitely give the best haircuts for curly hair, IMO. Their carving and slicing technique beats any layered cut I've ever had. They are a bit pricey, however.

http://www.ouidad.com/default.asp
#6 Old 08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Beginner

I have heard really great things about Aubrey Organics from some curly headed peoples.

This Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturizing Jelly, while more than a mouthful, is supposed to be especially special:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/Produ...?productid=512

Using that and the B5 Design Gel, together, does my friend good.

I think she uses their J.A.Y Revitalizing shampoo/cond., but that might be someone else.

I've read that many of their products are good for taming curly tresses. Most of what they offer is vegan.

This chart is somewhat useful:http://www.aubrey-organics.com/custom.aspx?id=23

So is reading reviews on different sites. I always research products online (first reviews, then price comparisons) before purchasing.

I personally love Aubrey products and use some myself.
#7 Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Beginner

I am looking for hair products but my hair is a different kettle of fish since I am black and my hair is unprocessed and very thick and unruly. I can only use certain things on my hair that would not make it hard and honey in the past always worked well with my kinky hair now I do not know where to turn for hair products. I use Treseme which says not tested on animals but this product is not made for my hair type
#8 Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

This line is really good and natural. Lots of vegan stuff, woman owned company, ethical and beautiful. Good for ethnic hair of many kinds!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM

I also have very curly should lengthhair which loves to go frizzy on humid, damp days...you could be talking about my hair! Some days, I just call myself Brillo-head !!!

I LOVE the hair products by Peter Lamas, especially the Soy Line. I order the shampoo and condioner from his web site (just google his name); all of his products are completely vegan; his shampoos and conditioners are the best frizz tamers I've ever used, and, even though the line is somewhat pricey, I've found that a very little bit goes a long way so basically one 12oz bottle lasts me a little over three months.

Cheers

Mollymw
#10 Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Pureology. I think it is great
#11 Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Does LUSH make anything for curly hair? I know they have quite a few vegan shampoos and they don't test anything on animals.
#12 Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanveggie83 View Post

I am looking for hair products but my hair is a different kettle of fish since I am black and my hair is unprocessed and very thick and unruly. I can only use certain things on my hair that would not make it hard and honey in the past always worked well with my kinky hair now I do not know where to turn for hair products. I use Treseme which says not tested on animals but this product is not made for my hair type

bajan,

my hair is unprocessed, too. don't worry so much about who products are marketed to...pay attn to the ingredients. stay away from mineral oil, petroleum and most alcohols. they will dry your hair. aloe, glycerin and cetyl alcohol will add moisture. i've used tresseme in the past and it worked fine. now i mostly use giovanni and a cheap condish like vo5(moisture milk only) or aura to conditioner wash. pm me for more info.
#13 Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Lush's products. I don't think they have anything specifically for curly hair, but I use the Trichomania shampoo and Jungle Conditioner in the winter and I get great results on my curly hair.
#14 Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I found some of the Giovanni products locally. This morning I tried the Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo. I couldn't find the leave in conditioner so I used the deep conditioner after the shampoo. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite do the job. My hair feels soft, but it has no weight to control the frizziness. If I had the leave in conditioner it would probably be better. I'll have to keep looking for it.
#15 Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried putting a bit of the regular conditioner on damp hair or mixing it with water and putting it in a spray bottle? That's what I used to do to my little one's curlyish head of hair when she was small.

#16 Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

This line is really good and natural. Lots of vegan stuff, woman owned company, ethical and beautiful. Good for ethnic hair of many kinds!!!

Thank you

I saw this on Tyra show last year but I did not really catch her name. I will try some of these products for my ethnic hair type
#17 Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Have you tried putting a bit of the regular conditioner on damp hair or mixing it with water and putting it in a spray bottle? That's what I used to do to my little one's curlyish head of hair when she was small.

I think that might work. This morning I mixed a little conditioner with water and it did the job. Tomorrow I'll try with a spray bottle. Normally, I'm not so fussy about my hair, but this short haircut (which I'm stuck with until all the coloured hair is cut off) so blech.
#18 Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 AM

I second the Giovanni line. I don't use it, but a lot of curlies like it. J/A/S/O/N is another one that may be worth the look. My hair hates proteins and it dries my super curly hair out and leaves it brittle, straw-like, and dull.

My favorites from Aubrey Organics is the Honeysucke Rose Conditioner and the Mandarin Magic Gingko Leaf Moisturizing Hair Jelly. I usually leave in a really good moisturizer and then apply the gel (sparingly). I have also left in about 25% of my rich conditioner after rinsing. You can always add your favorite organic oil to your conditioner for more of a control effect on your hair and then you won't have to worry as much about doing a deep treatment/hot oil treatment.

I also make my own gel that has worked better than any gel on the market for my hair, when I get around to mixing it up....

4oz Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel

1oz Jojoba Oil (amount tweakable)

1oz Vegetable Glycerin (amount tweakable)

Optional: (smidge of Xanthan Gum for medium hold and better consistency of gel)
#19 Old 08-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Check out www.jessicurl.com Her products are vegan and specially created for curly hair. She also has some great demo videos. Good luck!
#20 Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

I use Pureology. I think it is great

I SWEAR by pureology, it keeps my hair looking and feeling incredible, and I've been very mean to my hair.
#21 Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymw View Post

I also have very curly should lengthhair which loves to go frizzy on humid, damp days...you could be talking about my hair! Some days, I just call myself Brillo-head !!!

I LOVE the hair products by Peter Lamas, especially the Soy Line. I order the shampoo and condioner from his web site (just google his name); all of his products are completely vegan; his shampoos and conditioners are the best frizz tamers I've ever used, and, even though the line is somewhat pricey, I've found that a very little bit goes a long way so basically one 12oz bottle lasts me a little over three months.

Cheers

Mollymw

Your hair sounds like mine, though mine's a bit shorter. I may try this line. Thanks much.
#22 Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Aveda, Kiss My Face, etc.

But honestly, the best thing for curly hair? Live where humidity is low Move to Vegas, Baby!
#23 Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I love Lush's products. I don't think they have anything specifically for curly hair, but I use the Trichomania shampoo and Jungle Conditioner in the winter and I get great results on my curly hair.

I second Jungle; I have curly hair and it really helps to calm it down, but doesn't take the curls out! I comb it through my hair inthe shower, and then don't touch my hair after that, not even to brush it again. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I really recommend this product!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page