AR and Veganism - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: When did animal rights become a part of veganism for you?
I became vegan because of animal rights. 0 0%
I became interested in animal rights after I became vegan. 0 0%
I'm vegan and on the fence about animal rights. 0 0%
I never have been interested in animal rights and don't see it happening. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just wondering how many people began being vegan because of animal rights, or who began for health or other reasons and then turned to animal rights, or never have had any interests in animal rights.

--I meant for the last one to say I'm vegan as well, but apparently missed that.

I said on the fence, cause I find myself having stronger and stronger feelings towards the issue, but never really cared in the past (I was though a proponent of animal welfare - how could you not?), even when I became vegan (I did it because I thought it made me feel a ton better)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

As a buddhist, I felt I was being a total hypocrite acting upon compassion for all, ushering bugs outside, and eating a burger. One day I read the "Skinny *****" diet book, and it made me go Vegan again. (I was previously, but ended up living with a carnivorous a$$hole who made a big deal out of Vegan food).
#3 Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I went vegetarian, for reasons somewhere between animal-rights and animal-welfare (I was like 11, and I suppose a bit confused!) and I turned vegan because I realised I couldn't be pro-animal-rights and not be basicly.

But I only really learnt about animal rights inbetween vegetarianism and veganism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM

I became vegetarian and then vegan for primarily animal welfare reasons. After I became vegan I built on my gut feeling that killing animals was wrong to arrive at more and more animal rights conclusions until my whole philosophy was pretty much built upon an AR foundation

Similarly it was only after I became vegan I became more interested in environmental concerns and realised the health benefits.
#5 Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM

i became vegan for health reasons, but once i made the change and started reading more and more about it i realised how oblivious i was to the way animals were being treated. now i do take an interest and i am glad i am not a contributer to the agricultural industry.
#6 Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan and on the fence about animal rights.

But the animals are my reason, regardless of what politics I fall into.
#7 Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I'm vegan and on the fence about animal rights.

But the animals are my reason, regardless of what politics I fall into.

Ha ha... so you are vegan!?!!! I knew it. lol

OP: I wouldn't have identified myself as AR when I became vegan and I'm not sure I would now. I come at it differently and say that it's Ahimsa that has me vegan and that AR writings deeply influence my understanding of Ahimsa to the point where I'm in complete agreement with AR. I don't know if that even makes sense...
#8 Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

#9 Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

OP: I wouldn't have identified myself as AR when I became vegan and I'm not sure I would now. I come at it differently and say that it's Ahimsa that has me vegan and that AR writings deeply influence my understanding of Ahimsa to the point where I'm in complete agreement with AR. I don't know if that even makes sense...

i think it only makes sense cause I feel the same way, but I don't really understand it. minus the ahimsa bit cause that hasn't influenced me. I really do love my companion guy, although I don't know if I would get another animal after he passes.
#10 Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I became vegan for the animals. The health part of it is a perk.
#11 Old 08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

I really do love my companion guy, although I don't know if I would get another animal after he passes.

Rescue a vegan animal. Chances are pretty good that there's an animal shelter within an hour drive of you that has homeless bunnies in need of a good home.

--Fromper

#12 Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM

I started being a vegetarian when I was 9/10 years old. and thats almost a decade ago. I did start being a vegetarian because my old sister was like do you want cow or chicken at McDonalds and I didnt understand. when she told me it was like an actual animal(I was young and confused) I stopped eating meat. Being as young as I was my family was not for it. They thought I needed meat to grow. it was tough since I knew nothing about tofu or anything. But I tried being a vegan like 5 times before i actually stuck with it. I did it for health reasons tho. I treied being a vegan for 2 weeks each time and my body felt great so I decided to stay with it. But Im all about the animal rights!!
#13 Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I originally took on a vegan diet for health reasons, not thinking it would be for life. Then I got in to AR so now there's no turning back.
#14 Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Rescue a vegan animal. Chances are pretty good that there's an animal shelter within an hour drive of you that has homeless bunnies in need of a good home.

--Fromper

I was getting the impression from reading that animal rights are against the keeping of animals, that's for animal welfare?!?!
#15 Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was getting the impression from reading that animal rights are against the keeping of animals, that's for animal welfare?!?!

No, against breeding animals.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My personal opinion is that animals should not be bred for human benefit. So I'd never buy from a pet shop, but there's so many unwanted domesticated animals out there who cannot be released back into the wild. I'm actually going to be adopting an animal this weekend and I'm going to do my best to treat them well and keep them as happy as they can be. I might find it hard at times, but I definitely don't think I'm doing it for the wrong reasons.
#17 Old 08-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to believe that I finally went vegan because of at least a slight inkling of AR. After already having been (moderately lacto-) vegetarian for a while (seeking a more compassionate, low-impact, healthier lifestyle, and after years of various forms of dietary veg*nism and even lapses into omnivorism before), among other material I watched Earthlings, and made the connection on a somewhat more emotional than on a rational level at first.

To be honest, I didn't understand much about AR before I was challenged (e. g. in debates on VB) to both reconsider my stance on AW, and find out more about AR, which I guess is a continuing learning process for me. So I voted after I went vegan.
#18 Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

No, against breeding animals.

some sources i read don't say this, and i felt they were saying all animalhuman interaction. Well that makes a huge difference.
#19 Old 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM

animal breeding is disguisting!!!!!!!!

I was working at the Humane Society in California and Maryland.. There are sooo many animals that need homes. I think its sick. and when they inbreed them.

do you know what kind of problems they get from that!

It sickkk
#20 Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

some sources i read don't say this, and i felt they were saying all animalhuman interaction. Well that makes a huge difference.

What sources? What AR sources are against people rescuing animals from shelters?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#21 Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i didn't say they were against rescuing. I just read something (I don't remember, I was googling animal rights versus animal welfare stuff earlier and going back and forth), but one of them said that one of the differences between animal rights and animal welfare was that proponents of animal rights were completely against human/animal interaction.

http://www.animalwelfarecouncil.com/html/aw/rights.php

i guess they do say *use* of animals and not companion, but I kind of saw it as the same thing. i guess it's just interpretation
#22 Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamry View Post

My personal opinion is that animals should not be bred for human benefit. So I'd never buy from a pet shop, but there's so many unwanted domesticated animals out there who cannot be released back into the wild. I'm actually going to be adopting an animal this weekend and I'm going to do my best to treat them well and keep them as happy as they can be. I might find it hard at times, but I definitely don't think I'm doing it for the wrong reasons.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with helping an animal in need by opening your home to them. Just don't encourage breeders and pet stores to create any more by buying from them. That includes boycotting any pet supply stores that sell live animals. If there were any such stores in my area, I'd stick to buying from stores that only sell the supplies, not the animals. Unfortunately, I can't find any stores like that near me. I won't go to a store that sells dogs, cats, rabbits, or other animals commonly found in shelters, but the store where I get my bunny food and litter does sell birds, fish, reptiles, and smaller mammals.

And I suggested rabbits because they're naturally vegan, so you wouldn't have to buy any non-vegan food for them. There are tons of strays available, just like with dogs and cats, especially if you look after Easter. Way too many people buy "Easter bunnies" because they look cute, then dump the poor little guys when they find out that rabbits are more expensive to feed and higher maintenance than they realized. I'm pretty sure that's how I ended up with my four legged roommate, Flash, the fastest bunny alive. I found him literally wandering the streets alone about a week after Easter this year.

--Fromper

#23 Old 08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i didn't say they were against rescuing. I just read something (I don't remember, I was googling animal rights versus animal welfare stuff earlier and going back and forth), but one of them said that one of the differences between animal rights and animal welfare was that proponents of animal rights were completely against human/animal interaction.

http://www.animalwelfarecouncil.com/html/aw/rights.php

i guess they do say *use* of animals and not companion, but I kind of saw it as the same thing. i guess it's just interpretation

1. That's clearly an anti-AR site, so it's not the best source of information about what animal rights mean..

2. And yes, it doesn't say that AR is categorically against keeping animals, just that it's against using animals and breeding them. I don't think it says anything about interaction.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#24 Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

1. That's clearly an anti-AR site, so it's not the best source of information about what animal rights mean..

2. And yes, it doesn't say that AR is categorically against keeping animals, just that it's against using animals and breeding them. I don't think it says anything about interaction.

it doesn't like I said it was me interpreting it that way. Just because it is an anti-AR site doesn't mean that they don't have useful information, especially for someone who hasn't so clearly formulated their opinion. I'm sure there are some AR advocates out there that are against taking in the animals for one reason or another. there HAS to be. So I wanted to read as much as I can from both sides, Idon't want someone else's opinion, I want mine
#25 Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just because it is an anti-AR site doesn't mean that they don't have useful information, especially for someone who hasn't so clearly formulated their opinion.

It may have all kinds of useful information about other things, I just fail to see a single reason why a site that is prejudiced against some political idea/movement would be the best source for the definition and ideology of that idea/movement.

But that's a minor issue of course, I'm just frustrated by the misrepresentations of AR that keep floating around.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#26 Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

this is why I opened the thread. I knew eventually you would say something in this thread, and I was really interested in your opinion.

I never said it was the best opinion, I just said that since I'm trying to form a more conclusive one that I was looking at both sides of the issue. Assuredly you can see how said site could be useful in someways. But yes most definitely not to get the definition or ideology
#27 Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

And I suggested rabbits because they're naturally vegan, so you wouldn't have to buy any non-vegan food for them. There are tons of strays available, just like with dogs and cats, especially if you look after Easter. Way too many people buy "Easter bunnies" because they look cute, then dump the poor little guys when they find out that rabbits are more expensive to feed and higher maintenance than they realized. I'm pretty sure that's how I ended up with my four legged roommate, Flash, the fastest bunny alive. I found him literally wandering the streets alone about a week after Easter this year.

The shelter-rescue rabbit that lives with me is very, very soft. I'm not sure how he ended up with the SPCA but I have a feeling he was bred for his fur. This is the softest rabbit I've ever felt and I had pet rabbits as a kid.
#28 Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

By all means avoid a certain site salad when looking for veganism/AR info.

Quote:

I never said it was the best opinion, I just said that since I'm trying to form a more conclusive one that I was looking at both sides of the issue. Assuredly you can see how said site could be useful in someways. But yes most definitely not to get the definition or ideology

#29 Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

this is why I opened the thread. I knew eventually you would say something in this thread, and I was really interested in your opinion.

Okay.

To the original post:

When I became interested in lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, I didn't know of any conceptual distinction between AW and AR, I just didn't want to support what animals went through, and I think I also realized how bizarre and wrong it was that animals are killed for meat. So I was never one of those "my problem is with factory farms, I don't have any problem with slitting throats" veg*ns.

I think my views remained roughly the same when I realized that I should be vegan. So I guess it was only later when my ethical views became more clearly thought out and self-conscious -- when I started to identify my view as an AR view.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Originally my reason was purely ethical - I saw Earthlings and knew I had to take more accountability for the food I was eating. I think it's interesting seeing some of the top health professionals no longer recommend meat or even chicken in an 'ideal' diet. Even when I stopped eating meat I still thought of it as healthy - as long as it was lean. Now I'm realising that I've made the best decision ethically and for my health.

The health experts still seem to promote certain fish in the ideal diet, but still - not promoting meat and chicken is a positive step forward and might make some omnis sit up and take notice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page